- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Generating New Product-Service System Concepts Using General Needs and Business System Evolution Patterns: A Furniture PSS Case
- Park, Youngjin (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Mujin (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Yoon, Janghyeok (Department of Industrial Engineering, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.03.14
- Accepted : 2016.06.06
- Published : 2016.06.30
In a product environment where various product-service systems (PSSs) are already being provided, the provision of a different type of PSS is difficult for second movers but necessary for their sustainability and differentiation. Despite the importance of providing distinguishing PSSs to market, prior PSS studies have not effectively considered the influence of existing PSSs in their methods. In response, we suggest an approach to generate new PSS concepts by employing general needs (GNs) and business system evolution patterns (BSEPs). Our approach 1) identifies customer GNs fulfilled by existing PSSs, 2) generates advanced PSS ideas from an evolutionary perspective by mapping the existing PSSs onto BSEPs, and 3) selects PSS ideas that can meet the unfulfilled or insufficiently considered GNs using a GN-PSS linking matrix, thereby generating new PSS concepts based on the selected ideas. The workings and practicability of this approach are illustrated using a PSS case study of furniture industry. This approach would provide PSS planners with an ability to generate the differentiated PSS concepts that handle the customer needs that have been untapped throughout a product's lifecycle. In addition, this approach as a module will have a synergetic effect when incorporated with other PSS methodologies.
Product-Service System;Concept Generation;General Needs;System Evolution Patterns;Furniture
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Akasaka, F., Hosono, S., Kimita, K., Nakajima, M., and Shimomura, Y. (2010), Requirement Analysis for Strategic Improvement of a B2B Service, In: Proceedings of CIRP, IPS2 Conference, 117-124.
- Baines, T. S., Lightfoot, H. W., Evans, S., Neely, A., Greenough, R., Peppard, J., Roy, R., Shehab, E., Braganza, A., and Tiwari, A. (2007), State-of-the-art in product-service systems, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 221(10), 1543-1552. https://doi.org/10.1243/09544054JEM858
- Besch, K. (2005), Product-service systems for office furniture: barriers and opportunities on the European market, Journal of Cleaner Production, 13(10), 1083-1094. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2004.12.003
- Beuren, F. H., Ferreira, M. G. G., and Miguel, P. A. C. (2013), Product-service systems: a literature review on integrated products and services, Journal of Cleaner Production, 47, 222-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.12.028
- Chen, J. and Li, H. (2010), Innovative design method of product service system by using case study and TRIZ method, In: Proceedings of the 2nd CIRP IPS2 Conference, Linkoping, 299-305.
- Chen, J. L. and Huang, S.-C. (2011), Eco-Innovative Design of Product Service Systems by using the Substance-Field Analysis Method, In: Functional Thinking for Value Creation. Springer, 63-68.
- Fujata, K., Akasaka, F., Kimita, K., Nemoto, Y., Kurita, Y., and Shimomura, Y. (2013), Supporting Idea Generation in Business Design in Manufacturing Industries, International Journal of CAD/CAM, 13(2).
- Goedkoop, M. J. (1999), Product service systems, ecological and economic basics, Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment, Communications Directorate,
- Isaksson, O., Larsson, T. C., and Ronnback, A. O. (2009), Development of product-service systems: challenges and opportunities for the manufacturing firm, Journal of Engineering Design, 20(4), 329-348. https://doi.org/10.1080/09544820903152663
- Kim, K.-J., Lim, C.-H., Lee, D.-H., Lee, J., Hong, Y.-S., and Park, K. (2012), A Concept Generation Support System for Product-Service System Development, Service Science, 4(4), 349-364. https://doi.org/10.1287/serv.1120.0028
- Kim, S. and Yoon, B. (2012), Developing a process of concept generation for new product-service systems: a QFD and TRIZ-based approach, Service Business, 6(3), 323-348. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11628-012-0138-x
Muller, P., Schulz, F., and Stark, R. (2010), Guideline to elicit requirements on industrial product-service systems, In: Proceedings of the 2nd CIRP
$IPS^2$Conference ( $IPS^2$), 109-116.
- Mann, D. (2007), Hands-on systematic innovation for business and management, IFR Consultants Limited.
- Mann, D. L. (2003), Better technology forecasting using systematic innovation methods, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 70(8), 779-795. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-1625(02)00357-8
- Mont, O. K. (2002), Clarifying the concept of product-service system, Journal of Cleaner Production, 10(3), 237-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-6526(01)00039-7
- Morelli, N. (2006), Developing new product service systems (PSS): methodologies and operational tools, Journal of Cleaner Production, 14(17), 1495-1501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2006.01.023
- Park, H., Ree, J. J., and Kim, K. (2013), Identification of promising patents for technology transfers using TRIZ evolution trends, Expert Systems with Applications, 40(2), 736-743. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.08.008
- Park, H. and Yoon, J. (2015), A chance discovery-based approach for new product-service system (PSS) concepts, Service Business, 9(1), 115-135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11628-013-0222-x
- Salamatov, Y., Souchkov, V., Strogaia, M., and Yakovlev, S. (1999), TRIZ: the right solution at the right time: a guide to innovative problem solving. Insytec Hattem,
- Savransky, S. D. (2000), Engineering of creativity: Introduction to TRIZ methodology of inventive problem solving, CRC Press,
- Shimomura, Y., Hara, T., and Arai, T. (2009), A unified representation scheme for effective PSS development, CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, 58(1), 379-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2009.03.025
- Shimomura, Y. and Tomiyama, T. (2005), Service modeling for service engineering, In: Knowledge and Skill Chains in Engineering and Manufacturing, Springer, 31-38.
- Tukker, A. (2004), Eight types of product-service system: eight ways to sustainability? Experiences from SusProNet, Business strategy and the environment, 13(4), 246-260. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.414
- Uchihira, N., Kyoya, Y., Kim, S.K., Maeda, K., Ozawa, M., and Ishii, K. (2008), Analysis and design methodology for product-based services, In: New Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence, Springer, 13-25.
- Van Halen, C., Vezzoli, C., and Wimmer, R. (2005), Methodology for product service system innovation: how to develop clean, clever and competitive strategies in companies, Uitgeverij Van Gorcum,
- Verhaegen, P.-A., D'hondt, J., Vertommen, J., Dewulf, S., and Duflou, J. R. (2009), Relating properties and functions from patents to TRIZ trends, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 1(3), 126-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirpj.2008.09.010
- Williams, A. (2007), Product service systems in the automobile industry: contribution to system innovation?, Journal of Cleaner Production, 15(11), 1093-1103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2006.05.034
- Yang, C. J. and Chen, J. L. (2011), Accelerating preliminary eco-innovation design for products that integrates case-based reasoning and TRIZ method, Journal of Cleaner Production, 19(9), 998-1006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2011.01.014
- Yang, X., Moore, P., Pu, J.-S., and Wong, C.-B. (2009), A practical methodology for realizing product service systems for consumer products, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 56(1), 224-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2008.05.008
- Yoon, J. and Kim, K. (2012), Trend Perceptor: A property-function based technology intelligence system for identifying technology trends from patents, Expert Systems with Applications, 39(3), 2927-2938. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.08.154