- Volume 40 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the VHCF Fatigue Behaviors of Hydrogen Attacked Inconel 718 Alloy
수소취화된 인코넬 718의 VHCF(Very High Cycle Fatigue) 피로특성에 관한 연구
Suh, Chang-Min;Nahm, Seung-Hoon;Kim, Jun-Hyong;Pyun, Young-Sik
- Received : 2016.01.06
- Accepted : 2016.05.04
- Published : 2016.07.01
This study is to investigate the influence of hydrogen attack and UNSM on fatigue behaviors of the Inconel 718 alloy. The decrease of the fatigue life between the untreated and the hydrogen attacked material is 10-20%. The fatigue lives of hydrogen attacked specimen decreased without a fatigue limit, similar to those of nonferrous materials. Due to hydrogen embrittlement, about 80% of the surface cracks were smaller than the average grain size of
Hydrogen Attack;Hydrogen Induced Surface Cracks;Inconel 718 Alloy;Ultrasonic Nanocrystal Surface Modification;Rotary Bending Fatigue Test
- Zinbi, A. and Bouchou, A., 2010, "Delayed Cracking in 301 Austenitic Steel After Bending Process: Martensitic Transformation and Hydrogen Embrittlement Analysis," Engineering Failure Analysis 17, pp. 1028-1037. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2009.11.007
- Bechtle, S., Kumar, M., Somerday, B. P., Launey, M. E. and Ritchie, R. O., 2009, "Grain-boundary Engineering Markedly Reduces Susceptibility to Intergranular Hydrogen Embrittlement in Metallic Materials," Acta Materialia 57, pp. 4148-4157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2009.05.012
- Cotterill, P. J. and King, J. E., 1991, "Hydrogen Embrittlement Contributions to Fatigue Crack Growth in a Structural Steel," International Journal of Fatigue 13, No 6, pp. 447-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-1123(91)90478-H
- Bruchhausen, M., Fischer, B., Ruiz, A., Gonzalez, S., Hahner, P. and Soller, S., 2015, "Impact of Hydrogen on the High Cycle Fatigue Behavior of Inconel 718; a Symmetric Push-pull Mode at Room Temperature," International Journal of Fatigue 70, pp. 137-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2014.09.005
- Kouters, M. H. M., Slot, H. M., van Zwieten, W. and van der Veer, J., 2014, "The Influence of Hydrogen on the Fatigue Life of Metallic Leaf Spring Components in a Vacuum Environment," Inter- national Journal of Fatigue 59, pp. 309-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2013.09.013
- Karsch, T., Clausen, B. and Zoch, H. W., 2014, "Influence of Hydrogen and Deoxidation Technique on the Fatigue Behaviour of Steel SAE 52100 in the VHCF Regime," 6th International Conference on VHCF October 15-18, Chengdu, China.
- Suh, C. M., Lee, M. H. and Pyoun, Y. S., 2010, "Fatigue Characteristics of SKD-61 by Ultrasonic Nanocrystal Surface Modification Technology Under Static Load Variation," International Journal of Modern Physics B. 24, 15-16, pp. 2645-2650. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217979210065404
- Suh, C. M., Song, G. H., Suh, M. S. and Pyoun, Y. S., 2007, "Fatigue and Mechanical Characteristics of Nanostructured Tool Steel by Ultrasonic Cold Forging Technology," 443, pp. 101-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.08.066
- Roland, T., Retraint, D., Lu, K. and Lu, J., 2006, "Fatigue Life Improvement Through Surface Nanostructuring of Stainless Steel by Means of Surface Mechanical Attrition Treatment," Scripta Mater, 54, pp. 1949-1954. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2006.01.049
- Shin, H. S., Kim, K. H., Back, U. B. and Nahm, S. H., 2011, "Development of Evaluation Technique for Hydrogen Embrittlement Behavior of Metallic Materials Using In-situ SP Testing under Pressurized Hydrogen Gas Conditions," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 35, No. 11, pp. 1377-1382. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.11.1377
- Jung, H. G., 2011, "Hydrogen Embrittlement Phenomenon of Steel Materials," Journal of Korean Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol. 51, No. 11, pp. 42-44.
- Dai, K. and Shaw, L., 2008, "Analysis of Fatigue Resistance Improvements Via Surface Severe Plastic Deformation," Int. J. Fatigue, 30, pp. 1398-1402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2007.10.010
- Tian, J. W., Villegas, J. C., Yuan, W., Fielden, D., Shaw, L., Liaw, P. K. and Klarstrom, D. L., 2007, "A Study of the Effect of Nanostructured Surface Layers on the Fatigue Behaviors of a C-2000 Superalloy," Mater. Sci. Eng. A, pp. 164-168.
- Wang, T., Wang, D. P., Liu, G., Gong, B. M. and Song, N. X., 2008, "Investigations on the Nanocrystallization of 40 Cr Using Ultrasonic Surface Rolling Processing," Appl. Surf. Sci, 255, pp. 1824-1828. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2008.06.034
- Gill, A., Telang, A., Mannava, S. R,. Qian, D., Pyoun, Y. S., Soyama, H. and Vasudevan, V. K., 2013, "Comparison of Mechanisms of Advanced Mechanical Surface Treatments in Nickel-based Superalloy," Materials Science & Engineering A, 576, pp. 346-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2013.04.021
- Pyun, Y. S., Kim, J. H., Suh, C. M., Cho, I. S., Oh, J. Y., Wang, Q. and Khan, M. K., 2014, "The Rotary Bending Fatigue and Ultrasonic Fatigue Performance of Ti-6Al-4V ELI and STA Alloys After Ultrasonic Nanocrystal Surface Modification Treatment," Int. Conf. on VHCF-6, China.
- Kitagawa, H., Takahashi, S., Suh, C. M. and Miyashita, S., 1979, "Quantitative Analysis of Fatigue Process: Micro-Cracks and Slip lines under Cyclic Strains," ASTM STP 678, pp. 420-449.
- Suh, C. M., Yuuki, R. and Kitagawa, H., 1985, "Fatigue Microcracks in a Low Carbon Steel," Fatigue Fract. Engng. Mater. Struct., 8-2, pp. 193-203. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.1985.tb01203.x
- Suh, C. M. and Kitagawa, H., 1987, "Crack Growth Behaviour of Fatigue Microcracks in Low Carbon Steels," Fatigue Fract. Engng. Mater. Struct., 9-6, pp. 409-424. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.1987.tb00468.x
- Kitagawa, H., Nakasone, Y. and Shimodaira, M., 1985, "A Fracture Mechanics Study of the Corrosion Fatigue of a Structural Steel with a Surface Defect," Trans. of the JSME series A, Vol. 51-464, pp. 1026-1033.
- Nahm, S. H. and Suh, C. M., 1997, "Observation on the Growth Behavior of Small Surface Cracks Using Remote Measurement System," ASTM STP, 1318, pp. 71-84.
- Very High Cycle Fatigue Behaviors and Surface Crack Growth Mechanism of Hydrogen-Embrittled AISI 304 Stainless Steels vol.09, pp.04, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4236/msa.2018.94027
Grant : 수소의 전환/저장/이용을 위한 안전측정기술개발
Supported by : 국가과학기술연구회