- Volume 40 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effects on Low Cycle Fatigue Life of a High Pressure Turbine Nozzle due to the Perturbation of Crystal Orientation of Grain of DS Materials
일방향 응고 재료의 결정립 성장 방향 섭동이 고압터빈 노즐 저주기 피로 수명에 미치는 영향에 대한 연구
Huh, Jae Sung;Kang, Young Seok;Rhee, Dong Ho
- Received : 2016.02.16
- Accepted : 2016.05.10
- Published : 2016.07.01
High pressure components of a gas turbine engine are generally made of nickel-base superalloys, using precision casting process due to complicated geometries with intricate channels and cooling holes. Turbine components manufactured from directionally solidified and single crystal materials have columnar grains; however, it is found that the crystals do not grow in its preferred direction, although the orientation can be controlled. This anisotropy can lead to the variations of elastic and Hill's parameters in constitutive equations, and they alter stress distributions and the low cycle fatigue life. We aims to evaluate the effects of perturbed crystal orientations on the structural integrity of a directionally solidified nozzle using low cycle fatigue life. We also attempt to show the necessity for the control of allowed manufacturing errors and stochastic analysis. Our approaches included conjugate heat transfer and structural analysis, along with low cycle fatigue life assessment.
High Pressure Turbine Nozzle;Directionally Solidified Material;Crystal Orientation of Grain;Uncertainty;Low Cycle Fatigue Life;Critical Plane Approach
- Moore, Z. J., 2006, "Multiaxial Fatigue Life Prediction of a High Pressure Steam Turbine Rotor Using a Critical Plane Approach," Master thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Kupkovits, P. A., 2008, "Thermomechanical Fatigue Behavior of the Directionally-solidified Nickel-base Superalloy CM247LC," Master Thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Hou, N. X., Gou, W. X., Wen, Z. X. and Yue, Z. F., 2008, "The Influence of Crystal Orientations on Fatigue Life of Single Cooled Turbine Blade," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 492, pp. 413-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2008.03.043
- Ogata, T. and Sakai, T., 2009, "Life Prediction Method of CC and DS Ni Base Superalloys Under High Temperature Biaxial Fatigue Loading," Proceeding of ASME Turbo Expo 2009, GT2009-59069.
- Huh, J. S., Kang, Y. S., Rhee, D. H. and Seo, D. Y., 2015, "A Study on Variations of the Low Cycle Fatigue Life of a High Pressure Turbine Nozzle Caused by Inlet Temperature Profiles and Installation Conditions," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 39, No. 11, pp. 1145-1151. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.11.1145
- Halila, E. E., Lenahan, D. T. and Thomas, T. T., 1982, High Pressure Turbine Test Hardware Detailed Design Report, NASA CR-167955.
- Shenoy, M. M., McDowell, D. L. and Neu, R. W., 2006, "Transversely Isotropic Viscoplasticity Model for a Directionally Solidified Ni-base Superalloy," International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 22, pp. 2301-2326. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2006.03.003
- Yokoyam, T. and Sekihara, M., 2014, "Effect on Crystallographic Properties on Low Cycle Fatigue Strength at Elevated Temperature for Ni-based Directionally Solidified Superalloy," Proceeding of ASME Turbo Expo 2014, GT2014-26704.
- Kang, Y. S., Rhee, D. H. and Cha, B. J., 2015, "Conjugate Heat Transfer Analysis of High Pressure Turbine with Secondary Flow Path and Thermal Barrier Coating," Journal of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 37-44.
- Socie, D. F. and Marquis, G. B., 1999, Multiaxial Fatigue, SAE, Int.
- Yan, X., Zhang, K., Deng, Y., Sun, R., Lin, L. and Zhang, X., 2014, "The Effects of DS Blade'S Geometry Features on Material's Creep Strength," Propulsion and Power Research, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 143-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jppr.2014.07.004
- Dong, H. B., 2007, "Analysis of Grain Selection During Directional Solidification of Gas Turbine Blades," Proceeding of the World Congress on Engineering 2007 Vol II.
Grant : 중소형 항공기용 터보팬 엔진의 고압터빈 냉각 설계기술 개발 및 시험평가 기술 구축