- Volume 40 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Adhesive Strength of dry Adhesive Structures Depending on the Thickness of Metal Coating
건식 접착 구조물의 금속 코팅 두께에 따른 접착강도 변화
Kim, Gyu Hye;Kwon, Da Som;Kim, Mi Jung;Kim, Su Hee;Yoon, Ji Won;An, Tea Chang;Hwang, Hui Yun
- Received : 2016.04.12
- Accepted : 2016.05.30
- Published : 2016.07.01
Recently, engineering applications have started to adopt solutions inspired by nature. The peculiar adhesive properties of gecko skin are an example, as they allow the animal to move freely on vertical walls and even on ceilings. The high adhesive forces between gecko feet and walls are due to the hierarchical microscopical structure of the skin. In this study, the effect of metal coatings on the adhesive strength of synthetic, hierarchically structured, dry adhesives was investigated. Synthetic dry adhesives were fabricated using PDMS micro-molds prepared by photolithography. Metal coatings on synthetic dry adhesives were formed by plasma sputtering. Adhesive strength was measured by pure shear tests. The highest adhesion strengths were found with coatings composed of 4 nm thick layers of Indium, 8 nm thick layers of Zinc and 6 nm thick layers of Gold, respectively.
Gecko-like Microstructures;Metal Coating;Adhesion
- Autumn, K., Hsieh, S. T., Dudek, D. M., Chen, J., Chitaphan, C. and Full, R. J., 2006, "Dynamics of Geckos Running Vertically," Journal of Experimental Biology, Vol. 209, pp. 260-272. https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.01980
- Autumn, K., Sitti, M., Liang, Y. A., Peattie, A. M., Hansen, W. R., Sponberg, S., Kenny, T., Fearing, R., Israelachvili, J. N. and Full, R. J., 2002, "Evidence for van der Waals Adhesion in Gecko Setae," Proceedings National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 99, No. 19, pp. 12252-12256.
- Schubert, B., Lee, J., Majidi, C. and Fearing, R. S., 2008, "Sliding-induced Adhesion of Stiff Polymer Microfibre Arrays. I. Microscale Behaviour," Journal of The Royal Society Interface, Vol. 5, No. 25, pp. 835-844. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2007.1308
- Schubert, B., Lee, J., Majidi, C. and Fearing, R. S., 2008, "Sliding-induced Adhesion of Stiff Polymer Microfibre Arrays. II. Microscale Behaviour," Journal of The Royal Society Interface, Vol. 5, No. 25, pp. 845-853. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2007.1309
- Sitti, M. and Fearing, R. S., 2003, "Synthetic Gecko Foot-hair, Micro/Nano-structures as Dry Adhesives," Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, Vol. 18, pp. 1055-1074.
- Qu, L., Dai, L., Stone, M., Xia, Z. and Wang, Z. L., 2008, "Carbon Nanotube Arrays with Strong Shear Binding-on and Easy Normal Lifting-off," Science, Vol. 322, No. 5899, pp. 238-242. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1159503
- Lee, J. and Fearing, R.S., 2008, "Contact Selfcleaning of Synthetic Gecko Adhesive from Polymer Microfibers," Langmuir, Vol. 24, No. 10 pp. 587-591.
Supported by : 안동대학교