- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Miniaturized Design of Log-Periodic Dipole Array Antenna Using Half-Bowtie Dipole Elements
반-보우타이 모양 다이폴 소자를 이용한 대수-주기 다이폴 배열 안테나의 소형화 설계
Yeo, Junho;Lee, Jong-Ig
- Received : 2016.05.18
- Accepted : 2016.06.08
- Published : 2016.06.30
In this paper, a design method for a compact log-perio dic half-bow-tie dipole array antenna for an operation in a UWB band(3.1-10.6 GHz) is studied. The proposed antenna is miniaturized by using half-bow-tie shaped dipole elements instead of strip-type dipole elements, which are commonly used in a general log-periodic dipole array(LPDA) antenna, and by reducing the element spacing. The effects of the flare angle of the half-bow-tie elements and the spacing factor on input reflection coefficient and realized gain characteristics of the proposed log-periodic antenna are analyzed. The optimized antenna is fabricated on an FR4 substrate, and the experiment results show that the antenna has a frequency band of 2.95-11.31 GHz for a VSWR < 2, which assures the operation in the UWB band. In addition, the length and width of the proposed antenna are reduced to 32.1 % and 18.3 %, respectively, compared to the LPDA antenna.
log-periodic dipole array antenna;half-bowtie dipole element;ultra wideband(UWB);miniaturization
- M. Pirai and H. R. Hassani, "Size reduction of microstrip LPDA antenna with top loading," IEICE Electronics Express, vol. 6, no. 21, pp. 1528-1534, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.6.1528
- B. Wang, A. Chen, and D. Su, "An improved fractal tree log-periodic dipole antenna," Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility 2008 (APEMC 2008) and 19th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, pp. 831-834, May 2008.
- D. E. Anagnostou, J. Papapolymerou, M. M. Tentzeris, and C. G. Christodoulou, "A printed log-periodic Koch-dipole array (LPKDA)," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 7, pp. 456-460, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2008.2001765
- A. A. Gheethan and D. E. Anagnostou, "Reduced size planar log-periodic dipole arrays (LPDAs) using rectangular meander line elements," Proc. Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., pp. 1-4, Jul. 2008.
- G. A. Casula , P. Maxia , G. Mazzarella, and G. Montisci, "Design of a printed log-periodic dipole array for ultra-wideband applications," Prog. Electromagn. Res. C, vol. 38, pp. 15-26, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERC13012704
- R. L. Carrel, "The design of log periodic dipole antenna," Proc. IRE Int. Convention Rec., pt. 1, pp. 61-75, Mar. 1961.
- Hans Schantz, The art and science of ultrawideband antennas. Norwood, MA: Artech House. 2005.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna theory - analysis and design, 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Interscience, 2005.