- Volume 20 Issue 6
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the interconnection of uniquely identifiable embedded computing devices within the existing Internet infrastructure. IoT is expected to offer advanced connectivity of devices, systems, and services that goes beyond machine-to-machine communications and covers a variety of protocols, domains, and applications. Key system-level features that IoT needs to support can be summarized as device heterogeneity, scalability, ubiquitous data exchange through proximity wireless technologies, energy optimized solutions, localization and tracking capabilities, self-organization capabilities, semantic interoperability and data management, embedded security and privacy-preserving mechanisms. Time information is a critical piece of infrastructure for any distributed system. Time information and time synchronization are also fundamental building blocks in the IoT. The IoT requires new paradigms for combining time and data. This paper reviews conventional time keeping mechanisms in the Internet and presents issues to be considered for combining time and data in the IoT.
IoT (Internet of Things);Network Clock;Time Awareness;Time Synchronization
- L. Atzori, A. Iera and G. Morabito, "The Internet of Things: A survey," Computer Networks, vol. 54, no. 15, pp. 2787-2805, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2010.05.010
- D. Giusto, A. Iera, G. Morabito and L. Atozori, The Internet of Things, New York, Springer, 2010.
- P. K .Sinha, Distributed Operating Systems: Concepts and Design, Piscataway, NJ, IEEE Computer Society, pp.282-292, 1997.
- A.S, Tanenbaum and M. V. Steen, Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradignms, New Jersey, Prentice Hall, 2002.
- M. Lombardi, "Computer Time Synchronization," Time and Frequency Division, NIST [Internet]. Available: http://tf.nist.gov.
- D. Miorandi, S. Sicari, F. D. Pellegrini and I. Chlamtac, "Internet of things: Vision, applications and research challenges," Ad Hoc Networks vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1497-1516, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2012.02.016