- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Box-office Success Factors of Films Utilizing Big Data-Focus on Laugh and Tear of Film Factors
빅데이터를 활용한 영화 흥행 분석 -천만 영화의 웃음과 눈물 요소를 중심으로
- Received : 2016.04.29
- Accepted : 2016.05.17
- Published : 2016.06.30
The study aims to analyze factors of box office utilizing big data. The film industry has been increasing in the scale, but the discussion on analysis and prediction of box-office hit has not secured reliability because of failing in including all relevant data. 13 films have sold 10 million tickets until the present in Korea. The study demonstrated laughs and tears as an main interior factors of box-office hit films which showed more than 10 milling tickets power. First, the study collected terms relevant to laugh and tear. Next, it schematizes how frequently laugh and tear factors could be found along the 5-film-stage (exposition - Rising action - crisis - climax - ending) and revealed box-office hit films by genre. The results of the analysis would contribute to the construction of comprehensive database for the box office predictions on future scenarios.
big data;box office;interior factors of box- office;laugh factor;tear factor
- S. R. Kang, "A Study on the 10-million Mark Films-Focusing on Patriarchal familism and Tragedy as 'Shinpa'," International Society for the Korean people culture , vol. 52, pp.343-372 , Dec. 2015.
- J.K. Kim, "Film Editing Style and Tears in the Audience," Society for journalism and communication studies, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 87-113, Feb. 2015.
- S.Y. Kim, "A Study on 'the Comic Mode' in Korean Cinema Since the 1990s - Focusing on the Transitional Emergence of Romantic Comedy Genre Films-," Film Studies Association of Korea, vol. 60, pp. 29-55, Jun. 2014.
- Y.D.Kim, I.H. Joo, Y.K.Park, I.Y.Moon, O.Y.Kwon, "A Study on Personal Experience Knowledge Evaluation Model for Knowledge Service," Journal of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1865-1872, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2013.17.8.1865
- Y.M. Hwang, "The Scientific Possibility and Direction of Film Engineering as Convergence Science," Film Studies Association of Korea, vol. 61, pp. 453-473, Sep. 2014.
- J.W. Kim, "Big Data's Effect on its Practical Use for Box-office Success of Films : Focus on the Process of Management of Opinion Mining on Roaring Currents," Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry, vol.9. no. 2, pp. 81-90, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.06.9.2.81
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea