- Volume 42 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Exposure Assessment of Heavy Metals using Exposure Biomarkers among Residents Living Near a Chungcheongnam-do Province Industrial Complex Area
충청남도 산업단지 인근지역 주민의 생체시료 중 중금속 농도평가
Joo, Yosub;Roh, Sangchul
- Received : 2016.05.13
- Accepted : 2016.06.09
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: This study was designed to assess the level of physical exposure to heavy metals among residents who live around a Chungcheongnam-do Province industrial complex and to provide baseline data on the effects and harms of heavy metals on the human body by comparing their exposure levels to those of people from control regions. Methods: We measured blood lead and cadmium levels and urine mercury and chromium levels and conducted a survey among 559 residents from the affected area and 347 residents of other areas. Results: Blood lead and cadmium levels and urine mercury levels were significantly higher in the case region than among those in the control region (p=0.013, p<0.001, p<0.001, respectively). In the thermoelectric power plant area, blood cadmium and urine mercury levels were significantly higher than in the control region (p<0.001, p<0.001, respectively). In the steel mill and petrochemical industry areas, blood cadmium level was significantly higher than that in the control region (p<0.001). Dividing groups by the reference level of blood cadmium (
Blood cadmium;blood lead;Chungcheongnam-do Province industrial complex;urine chromium;urine mercury
- Jung JH. A study on reaction characteristic of SO2/NOx simultaneous removal for alkali absorbent/additive in FGD and waste incinerator process. [Dissertation]. [Pusan]: Pusan National University; 1999.
- Jung JH. Effects of air pollutants on the health/environmental risk assessment and weathering of stone cultural properties in Gyeongju and its vicinities. [Dissertation]. [Daegu]: Daegu Haany University; 2008.
- Choi BW, Jung JH, Choi WJ, Jeon CJ, Shon BH. Distribution characteristics of ambient heavy metals based on the pollution source and their carcinogenic risk assessment in Ulsan, Korea. Korean Journal of Environmental Health. 2006; 32(5): 522-531.
- Choi BW, Jung JH, Choi WJ, Shon BH, Oh KJ. Characteristics of the distribution of high ambient air pollutants with sources and weather condition in Ulsan. Korean Journal of Environmental Health. 2006; 32(4): 324-335.
- Jung WS. A study on the medium-range transport of air pollutants associated with regional-scale atmospheric circulation system. [Dissertation]. [Pusan]: Pusan National University; 2001
- National Institute of Environmental Research. Monitoring study on exposure level and biomarkers of environmental pollutants (Ulsan, 7th year); 2010
- National Institute of Environmental Research. Monitoring study on exposure level and health effects of environmental pollutants (Sihwa.Panwol, 5th year); 2010
- National Institute of Environmental Research. Monitoring study on exposure level and biomarkers of environmental pollutants (Kwangyang, 4th year); 2010
- National Institute of Environmental Research. Monitoring study on exposure level and biomarkers of environmental pollutants (Pohang, 4th year); 2009
- Ministry of Environment. 10 years of Environmental Health Master Plan (2006-2015); 2006
- Environmental Health Act. [Enforcement Date 22. Mar, 2009.] [Act No.8946, 21. Mar, 2008.]
- Ministry of Environment. 10 years of Environmental Health Master Plan(2011-2020); 2015.
- Gurer-Orhan H, Sabir HU, Ozgunes H. Correlation between clinical indicators of lead poisoning and oxidative stress parameters in controls and leadexposed workers. Toxicology. 2004; 195: 147-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2003.09.009
- Schuhmacher M, Paternain JL, Domingo JL, et al. An assessment of some biomonitors indicative of occupational exposure to lead. Trace Elem Electrolytes. 1997; 14(3): 145-149.
- Kumar S, Jain S, Aggarwal CS, et al. Encephalopathy due to inorganic lead exposure in an adult. Jpn J Med. 1987; 26: 253-254. https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine1962.26.253
- Diamond GL. Risk assessment of nephrotoxic metals. In: Tarloff J, Lash L, eds. The toxicology of the kidney. London: CRC Press; 2005. p.1099-1132.
- Loghman-Adham M. Renal effects of environmental and occupational lead exposure. Environ Health Perspect. 1997; 105: 928-939. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.97105928
- Bluhm RE, Bobbitt RG, Welch LW, et al. Elemental mercury vapour toxicity, treatment, and prognosis after acute, intensive exposure in chloralkali plant workers: Part I. History, neuropsychological findings and chelator effects. Hum Exp Toxicol. 1992; 11(3): 201-210. https://doi.org/10.1177/096032719201100308
- Friberg L, Hammarstrom S, Nystrom A. Kidney injury after chronic exposure to inorganic mercury. Arch Ind Hyg Occup Med. 1953; 8: 149-153.
- NIOSH. Health hazard evaluation report HETA 80-096-1359, Eureka Company, Bloomington, IL. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health. PB85163574.
- IARC. Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Man. Geneva: World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 100C-8.
- Rumack BH POISINDEX(R) Information System Micromedex, Inc., Englewood, CO, CCIS; 2012. P.154.
- IARC. Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Man. Geneva: World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 100C-9.
- Workers' health diagnostic practices. Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency; 2015.
- Hong JS. Study on Korea Petrochemical Industry Complex and the construction of Yeocheo Petrochemical Industry. Journal of business administration. 1997; 10(2), 26-29.
- Cho YS, Lee JT, Son JY, Kim YS. A meta-analysis of air pollution in relation to daily mortality in seven major cities of Korea, 1998-2001. Korean Journal of Environmental Health. 2006; 32(4): 304-315.
- Yu SD, Cha JH, Kim DS, Lee JT. Effects of fine particles on pulmonary function of elementary school children in Ulsan. Korean Journal of Environmental Health. 2007; 33(5): 365-371. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2007.33.5.365
- Dockery DW, Pope DA, Xu X, Spengler JD, Ware JH, Fay ME, et al. An association between air pollution and mortality in six U.S. cities. The New England Journal of Medicine. 1993; 329: 1753-1759. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199312093292401
- Schulz C, Conrad A, Becker K, Kolossa-Gehring M, Seiwert M. Seif ert B. Twenty years of the German Environmental Survey (GerES) : Human biomonitoring -Temporal and Spatial (West Germany/East Germany) differences in population exposure. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. 2007; 210: 271-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2007.01.034
- Whitmore RW, Byron MZ, Clayton CA, Thomas KW, Zelon HS, Pellizzari ED, et al. Sampling design, response rates, and analysis weights for the National Human Exposure Assessment Survey (NHEXAS) in EPA Region 5. Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology. 1999; 9: 369-380. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jea.7500054
- Jantunen MJ, Hanninen O, Katsouyanni K, Knoppel H, Kuenzli N, Lebret E, et al. Air pollution exposure in European cities : the "EXPOLIS" study. Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology. 1998; 8: 495-518.
- The environmental health center of DKUH. Study on the Health Status of the Residents near areas vulnerable to Environmental pollution in Chungnam Province (1st year); 2013.
- The environmental health center of DKUH. Study on the Health Status of the Residents near areas vulnerable to Environmental pollution in Chungnam Province (2nd year); 2014.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(3rd year); 2012.
- Jeffrey JF, Ana NA, Maria TP, Eliseo G, Virginia MW, Susan LF. Blood Lead Level and Kidney Function in US Adolescents: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170(1): 75-82. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2009.417
- Vaziri ND, Sica DA. Lead-induced hypertension: Role of oxidative stress. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2004; 6:314-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11906-004-0027-3
- Conklin AW, Skinner CS, Felten TL, et al. Clearance and distribution of intratracheally instilled vanadium-48 compounds in the rat. Toxicol Lett. 1982; 11: 199-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4274(82)90128-X
- Vupputuri S, Longnecker MP, Daniels JL, Guo X, Sandler DP. Blood mercury level and blood pressure among US women: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2000. Environ Res. 2005; 97(2): 195-200 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2004.05.001
- Lee B, Ha J. The Effects of smoking and drinking on blood lead and cadmium levels: data from the fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Korean J Occup Environ Med. 2011; 23(1): 31-41.
- Basic study on Estimation of HAP Emission from Power Plants and Waste Incinerators for Environment impact assessment. Korea Environment institute; 2013.
- Relationship between residential district and health-related quality of life in Chungnam industrial complex area vol.31, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5620/eht.e2016017
- Effects of Environmental Air Pollution on Pulmonary Function Level of Residents in Korean Industrial Complexes vol.15, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15050834