- Volume 42 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Urinary Arsenic Concentrations among Residents in the Vicinity of a Chungcheongnam-do Province Industrial Complex Area
충청남도 내 산업단지 주변에 거주하는 주민들의 요중 비소 농도
Kim, Hee Chan;Roh, Sangchul
- Received : 2016.05.19
- Accepted : 2016.06.17
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the relationship between residential surroundings, such as a power plant, steel mill and petrochemical facilities, and urinary arsenic concentrations in Chungcheongnam-do Province, Korea. Methods: Stratified by fish consumption and residential district, median and maximum block sampling was applied. A total of 346 spot urine samples were speciated for
Arsenic species;biomarker;Chungcheongnam-do Province industrial complex;environmental exposure;urine
- Ranft U, Miskovic P, Pesch B, Jakubis P, Fabianova E. EXPASCAN Study Group. Association between arsenic exposure from a coal-burning power plant and urinary arsenic concentrations in Prievidza District, Slovakia. Environ Health Perspect. 2003; 111(7): 889-894. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.5838
- Risk assessment of heavy metals-arsenic. National institute of toxicological research; 2008.
- Watanabe T, Hirano S. Metabolism of arsenic and its toxicological relevance. Arch Toxicol. 2013; 87(6): 969-979. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-012-0904-5
- Wilhelm M, Pesch B, Wittsiepe J, Jakubis P, Miskovic P, Keegan T, et al. Comparison of arsenic levels in fingernails with urinary As species as biomarkers of arsenic exposure in residents living close to a coal-burning power plant in Prievidza District, Slovakia. J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol. 2005; 15(1): 89-98. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jea.7500350
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Biologic fate of arsenic in the body. Available: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=1&po=9 [accessed 16 May 2016]
- Morton J, Leese E. Arsenic speciation in clinical samples: urine analysis using fast micro-liquid chromatography ICP-MS. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2011; 399(5): 1781-1788. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-010-4180-z
- Lee JH, Kang HS, Kim BB. Health effects of the offensive odor in residents living near the petrochemical industries complex area and the thermoelectric power plant. Kor J Env Hlth. 2007; 33(2): 83-91.
- Yom YK, Ji SK, Li SH, Cho TJ, Jeon HL, Jang BK, et al. Concentration of heavy metals in air and soil around the D iron-manufacturing company area in Chungnam, Korea. Journal of Environmental and Sanitary Engineering. 2009; 24(1): 25-33.
- Cho TJ, Jeong MH, Jeon JM, Son BS. A study on the concentration of fine particles and heavy metals in iron works. Journal of the Environmental Sciences. 2009; 18(4): 401-409. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.4.401
- Pesch B, Ranft U, Jakubis P, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Hergemoller A, Unfried K, et al. Environmental arsenic exposure from a coal-burning power plant as a potential risk factor for nonmelanoma skin carcinoma: results from a case-control study in the district of Prievidza, Slovakia. Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 155(9): 798-809. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/155.9.798
- Bencko V, Rames J, Fabianova E, Pesek J, Jakubis M. Ecological and human health risk aspects of burning arsenic-rich coal. Environ Geochem Health. 2009; 31(1): 239-243.
- Monitoring study on exposure level and biomarkers of environmental pollutants (Gangneung, 3rd year). National Institute of Environmental Research; 2010.
- Study on the Health Status of the Residents near areas vulnerable to Environmental pollution in Chungnam Province (2nd year). The environmental health center of DKUH; 2014.
- Saoudi A, Zeghnoun A, Bidondo ML, Garnier R, Cirimele V, Persoons R, et al. Urinary arsenic levels in the French adult population: the French National Nutrition and Health Study, 2006-2007. Sci Total Environ. 2012; 433: 206-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.06.053
- Gebel TW, Suchenwirth RH, Bolten C, Dunkelberg HH. Human biomonitoring of arsenic and antimony in case of an elevated geogenic exposure. Environ Health Perspect. 1998; 106(1): 33-39. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.9810633
- United States Environmental Protection Agency. Arsenic compound. Available: https://www3.epa.gov/airtoxics/hlthef/arsenic.html [accessed 16 may 2016]
- IARC. Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Man. Geneva: World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 100C
- Poirier LA, Brown AT, Fink LM, Wise CK, Randolph CJ, Delongchamp RR, et al. Blood S-adenosylmethionine concentrations and lymphocyte methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase activity in diabetes mellitus and diabetic nephropathy. Metabolism. 2000; 50(9): 1014-1018.
- van Lieshout EM, Peters WH. Age and gender dependent levels of glutathione and glutathione Stransferases in human lymphocytes. Carcinogenesis. 1998; 19(10): 1873-1875. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/19.10.1873
- Heinrich-Ramm R1, Mindt-Prufert S, Szadkowski D. Arsenic species excretion in a group of persons in northern Germany--contribution to the evaluation of reference values. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2001; 203(5-6): 475-7. https://doi.org/10.1078/1438-4639-00060
Supported by : 충청남도 도청