- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A study on the features of English as a lingua franca in Asian contexts: Rhythmic features
아시아 상황의 영어 공통어 자질 연구: 리듬 특성
Chung, Hyunsong;Lee, Sang-Ki;Kim, Yoon-Kyu
- Received : 2016.04.26
- Accepted : 2016.06.15
- Published : 2016.06.30
This paper investigated the rhythmic features of speakers of English as a lingua franca in Asian contexts. A speech corpus of 150 conversations between speakers of English in Asia with different L1 backgrounds was collected and %V,
rhythm;ELF;English as a lingua franca;%V;
- Jenkins, J. (2000). The phonology of English as an international language. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Deterding, D. (2001). Letter to the editor: The measurement of rhythm: a comparison of Singapore and British English. Journal of Phonetics, 29, 217-230. https://doi.org/10.1006/jpho.2001.0138
- Kachru, Y. & Nelson, C. L. (2006). World Englishes in Asian contexts. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press.
- Deterding, D. & Kirpatrick, A. (2006). Emerging South-East Asian Englishes and intelligibility, World Englishes, 25(3/4), 391-409. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-971X.2006.00478.x
- Kirkpatrick, A. (2010). English as a lingua franca in ASEAN: A multilingual model. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press.
- Kim, J.-M., Flynn, S., & Oh, M. (2007). Non-native speech rhythm: A large-scale study of English pronunciation by Korean learners. Studies in Phonetics, Phonology and Morphology, 13(2), 245-275. https://doi.org/10.17959/sppm.2007.13.2.245
- Deterding, D. (2013). Misunderstandings in English as a lingua franca: An analysis of ELF interactions in South-East Asia. Boston/Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.
- Chung, H. (2013). A study on the rhythm of Korean English learners' interlanguage talk. Phonetics and Speech Sciences, 5(3), 3-10. (정현성 (2013). 타언어 화자와의 담화 상에 나타난 영어 학습자의 리듬. 말소리와 음성과학, 5(3), 3-10.)
- Jenkins, J. (2007). English as a lingua franca: Attitude and identity. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Chung, H., Jang, T.-Y., Yun, W., Yun, I., & Sa, J. (2008). A study on automatic measurement of pronunciation accuracy of English speech produced by Korean learners of English. Language and Linguistics, 42, 165-196. (정현성.장태엽.윤원희.윤일승.사재진 (2008). 한국인 영어 학습자의 발음 정확성 자동 측정방법에 대한 연구. 언어와 언어학, 42, 165-196.)
- Ramus, F., Nespor, M., & Mehler, J. (1999). Correlates of linguistic rhythm in the speech signal. Cognition, 73, 265-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-0277(99)00058-X
- Low, E. L., Grabe, E., & Nolan, F. (2000). Quantitative characterisations of speech rhythm: 'syllable-timing' in Singapore English. Language and Speech, 43, 377-401. https://doi.org/10.1177/00238309000430040301
- Dellwo, V. (2006). Rhythm and speech rate: A variation coefficient for delta C. In P. Karnowski & I. Szigeti (Eds.), Language and language processing: Proceedings of the 38th linguistics colloquium (pp. 231-241). Piliscsaba 2003. Frankfurt: Peter Lang.
- White, L. & Mattys, S. L. (2007). Calibrating rhythm: first language and second language studies. Journal of Phonetics, 35, 501-522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wocn.2007.02.003
- Jang, T.-Y. (2008). Speech rhythm metrics for automatic scoring of English speech by Korean EFL Learners. Malsori, 66, 41-59.
- Kim, S. & Jang, T.-Y. (2009). Rhythmic differences between spontaneous and read speech of English. Phonetics and Speech Sciences, 1(3), 49-55.
- Van Engen, K. J., Baese-Berk, M., Baker, R. E., Choi, A., Kim, M., & Bradlow, A. R. (2010). The wildcat corpus of native-and foreign-accented English: Communicative efficiency across conversational dyads with varying language alignment profiles. Language & Speech, 53(4), 510-540. https://doi.org/10.1177/0023830910372495
- Baker, R. & Hazan, V. (2011). DiapixUK: Task materials for the elicitation of multiple spontaneous speech dialogs. Behavior Research Methods, 43(3), 761-770. https://doi.org/10.3758/s13428-011-0075-y
- Rosenfelder, I., Fruehwald, J., Evanini, K., & Jiahong, Y. (2011). FAVE(Forced Alignment and Vowel Extraction) Program Suite. Retrieved from http://fave.ling.upenn.edu/ [Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Linguistics Lab (Distributor)] on April 20, 2016.
- Grabe, E. & Low, E. L. (2002). Durational variability in speech and the rhythm class hypothesis. Laboratory Phonology, 7, 515-546.
Supported by : 한국연구재단