- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The awareness of parents and teachers in the psycho- and voice behavioral characteristics related to children's voice problems
아동의 음성문제와 음성 관련 행동특성에 대한 부모 및 담임교사의 인식
Song, Kyung Hwa;Kim, Jaeock
- Received : 2016.04.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
The study examined that parents and teachers were aware of what extents behavioral characteristics were related to the children's voice problems. The voice samples of 89 children in the ages of 3 to 5 were collected and their voice quality were graded by G scale of GRBAS. The parents and teachers of the children were asked to complete the questionnaire composed of the pediatric Voice Handicap Index (pVHI) and the psycho- and voice behavioral characteristics of their children. The results are as follows. First, there were no significant differences in both pVHI and behavioral characteristics of their children by G scale. However, significant differences were shown in the behavioral characteristics between parents and teachers, but no difference in pVHI between them. In addition, there was a significant correlation between the psycho-behavioral characteristics and the voice behavioral characteristics in both parents and teachers. These results represent that parents and teachers are not aware of the presence of their children's voice problems and such voice problems are affected by behavioral characteristics associated with the use of voice.
children's voice problems;GRBAS;psycho- and voice behavioral characteristics;pediatric Voice Handicap Index (pVHI)
- Aronson, A. E. (1985). Clinical voice disorders (3rd edition). New York: Thieme Stratton.
- Bagnell, A. (1982). Panel discussion. In V. L. Lawrence (Ed.), Transcripts of the 11th Symposium: Care of the professional voice (pp. 43-44). New York: The Voice Foundation.
- Boone, D. R. & MacFarlane, S. C. (2000). The Voice and Therapy (4th edition), Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Broaddus-Lawrence, P. L., Treole, K., McCabe, R. B., Allen, R. L., & Toppin, L. (2000). The effects of preventive vocal hygiene education on the vocal hygiene habits and perceptual vocal characteristics of training singers. Journal of Voice, 14(1), 58-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(00)80095-8
- Chan, R. W. (1994). Does the voice improve with vocal hygiene education? A study of some instrumental voice measures in a group of kindergarten teachers. Journal of Voice, 8(3), 279-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(05)80300-5
- Creen, G. (1989). Psycho-behavioral characteristics of children with vocial nodules: WPBIC ratings. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, 54, 306-312. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshd.5403.306
- Dejonckere, P. H. & van Wijngaarden, H. (1990). Voice quality in children and environmental factors. Proceedings of the 5th International Congress of Pediatric Oto-rhino-laryngology (pp. 44-44), Ghent.
- Dejonckere, P. H. (1999). Voice problems in children: Pathogenesis and diagnosis. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 49, 311-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-5876(99)00230-X
- Park, S. S. (2004). The effect of vocal hygiene of the female elementary teachers. M. A. Thesis, Ewha Womans University. (박성신 (2004). 초등학교 여교사를 대상으로 한 음성위생법 효과성. 이화여자대학교 일반대학원 석사학위 논문.)
- McLeod, S. & Harrison, L. J. (2009). Epidemiology of speech and language impairment in a nationally representative sample of 4-to 5-year-old children. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 52(5), 1213-1229. https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2009/08-0085)
- Pyo, H. & Song, Y. (2010). Recent trends in evaluation and diagnosis of voice disorders: A literature review. Communication Sciences & Disorders, 15(2), 506-525. (표화영.송윤경 (2010). 음성장애진단 및 평가의 최근 연구 동향; 문헌적 고찰. CommunicationSciences & Disorders, 15(2), 506-525.)
- Pyo, H., Choi, S., Lim, S., Shim, H., Choi, H., & Kim, K. (1999). The correlation between GRBAS scales and MDVP parameters on the pathologic voices of the patients with vocal polyps. Journal of the Korean Society of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, 10(2), 154-163. (표화영.최성희.임성은.심현섭.최홍식.김광문 (1999). 성대폴립 환자를 대상으로 한 GRBAS 척도와 MDVP 측정치 간의상관관계 연구. 대한후두음성언어의학회지, 10(2), 154-163.)
- Ramig, K. O., & Verdolini, K. (1998). Treatment efficacy: Voice disorders. Journal of Speech & Hearing Research, 41, 101-117. https://doi.org/10.1044/jslhr.4101.s101
- Roy, N., Holt, K. I., Redmond, S., & Muntz, H. (2007). Behavioral characteristics of children with vocal fold nodules. Journal of Voice, 21(2), 157-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2005.11.004
- Song, Y. (2010). Appearance rate of voice disorders in preschoolers and characteristics of recognition about preschoolers voice in their parents. Special Education, 9(3), 193-209.(송윤경 (2010).학령전기 아동 음성장애의 출현율 및 부모 인식 특성. 특수교육, 9(3), 193-209.) https://doi.org/10.18541/ser.2010.10.9.3.193
- Toohill, R. J. (1975). The psychosomatics of children with vocal nodules. Archives of OtoLaryngology, 101, 591-595. https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.1975.00780390005002
- Yea, Y. L. (2009). The effect of vocal hygiene for nursery teachers. M. A. Thesis, Kosin University. (예영란 (2009). 어린이집 교사를 대상으로 한 음성위생 교육의 효과. 고신대학교 보건대학원 석사학위 논문.)
- Yoo, J., Hwang, Y., & Han, J. (2014). Voice and Voice Therapy (9th edition). Sigma Press: Seoul. (유재연.황영진.한지연 (2014). 음성과 음성치료(9 판). 서울: 시그마프레스.)
- Yoon, Y., Kim, S., Baek, J., Jung, H., & Sohn, Y. (2006). Effect of vocal hygiene education in the patients with vocal polyp. The Journal of the Korean Society of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, 49(7), 728-732. (윤영선.김상우.백정환.정한신.손영익 (2006).성대 폴립 환자에서 음성위생 교육의 효과. 대한이비인후과학회지, 49(7), 728-732.)
- Dobres, R., Lee, L., Stemple, J. C., Klummre, A. W., & Kretschmer, L. W. (1990). Description of laryngeal pathologies in children evaluated by otolaryngologists, Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 55, 526-532. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshd.5503.526
- Hirano, M. (1981). Cilnical examination of voice. New York: Sprinreg Verlag, Wien.
- Hirschberg, J., Dejonckere, P. H., Hirano, M., Mori, K., Schultz-Coulon, H. J., & Vrticka, K. (1995). Voice disorders in children. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 32, 109-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-5876(94)01149-R
- Ahn, C., Park, S., & Lee, K. (1997). Environments of Hoarseness in Children. The Journal of the Korean Society of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, 8(2), 173-177. (안철민.박상준.이건영 (1997). 소아애성에 영향을 주는 환경에 대한 연구. 대한음성언어의학회지, 8(2), 173-177. )
- Andrews, M. L. & Summers, A. C. (2002). Voice Treatment for Children and Adolescents. Singular: San Diego, CA.
- Jacobson, B. H., Johnson, A., Grtwalski, C., Silbergleit, A., Jacobson, G., Benninger, M. S., & Newman, C. W. (1997). The voice handicap index(VHI): Development and validation. American Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 6(3), 66-70.
- Kim, J., Lim, S., Park, S., Choi, J., & Choi, H. (2007). Validity and Reliability of Korean-Version of Voice Handicap Index and Voice-Related Quality of Life. Phonetics and Speech Sciences, 14(3), 111-125. (김재옥.임성은.박선영.최성희.최재남.최홍식 (2007). 한국어판 음성장애지수와 음성관련 삶의 질의 타당도 및 신뢰도 연구. 음성과학, 14(3), 111-125.)
- Kwon, J. (2012). A study on aspiring singer's awareness for vocal hygiene and voice therapy. M. A. Thesis, Hallym University. (권준순 (2012). 가수지망생의 음성위생 및 음성치료에 대한 인식 조사. 한림대학교 석사학위 논문.)
- Zur, K. B., Cotton, S., Kelchner, L., Baker, S., Weinerich, B., & Lee, L. (2007). Pediatric voice handicap index(pVHI): A new tool for evaluating pediatric dysphonia. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 71(1), 77-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2006.09.004