- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Lax Vox voice therapy in a patient with spasmodic dysphonia: A case report
연축성 발성장애 환자의 Lax Vox 음성치료 효과
Lim, Hye Jin;Choi, Seong Hee;Kim, Jeong Kyu;Choi, Chul-Hee
- Received : 2016.04.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.14
- Published : 2016.06.30
Recently, the Lax Vox voice therapy has been used as one of the SOVTE(Semi-Occluded Vocal Tracts Exercise). The purpose of this study was to explore the effect of Lax Vox voice therapy for a patient with Spasmodic dysphonia on voice improvement. One female spasmodic dysphonia patient(age=27) who had been diagnosed by a laryngologist received Lax Vox voice therapy. The Lax Vox protocol was configured as 5 steps (1 warm-up and 4 steps : bubbling without / with phonation/ gliding with phonation/ generalization) in this study. A total of 11 sessions were performed by a certified speech language pathologist. The present study evaluated the acoustic, aerodynamic, auditory perceptual, and patient's self-rating between pre-, mid-, and post- voice therapy. All objective and subjective parameters were improved after voice therapy; Reduced frequency variation, increased maximum phonation time, enlarged voice range, improved 'G' and 'S' in GRBAS & USDRS, and reduced VHI were observed. Especially, decreased
Spasmodic Dysphonia;Semi-occluded vocal tract;Lax Vox
- Andrade, P. A., Wistbacka, G., Larsson, H., Sodersten, M., Hammarberg, B., Simberg, S., Svec, J. G., & Granqvist, S. (2016). The Flow and Pressure Relationships in Different Tubes Commonly Used for Semi-occluded Vocal Tract Exercises. Journal of Voice, 30(1), 36-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2015.02.004
- Guzman, M., Castro, C., Testart, A., Munoz, D., & Gerhard, K. (2013). Laryngeal and Pharyngeal Activity During Semioccluded Vocal Tract Postures in Subjects Diagnosed with Hyperfunctional Dysphonia. Journal of Voice, 27(6), 709-716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.05.007
- Guzman, M., Castro, C., Madrid, S., Olavarria, C., Leiva, M., Munoz, D., Jaramillo, E., & Laukkanen, A. M. (2016). Air pressure and contact quotient measures during different semioccluded postures in subjects with different voice conditions. Retrieved from http://www.jvoice.org/ on March 25, 2016.
- Andrade, P. A., Wood, G., Ratcliffe, P., Epstein, R., Pijper, A., & Svec, J. G. (2014). Electroglottographic Study of Seven Semi-Occluded Exercises: LaxVox, Straw, Lip-Trill, Tongue-Trill, Humming, Hand-Over-Mouth, and Tongue-Trill Combined With Hand-Over-Mouth. Journal of Voice, 28(5), 589-595. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.11.004
- Finitzo, T. & Freeman, F. (1989). Spasmodic dysphonia, whether and where: results of seven years of research. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 32(3), 541-555. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.3203.541
- Roy, N. (2010). Differential diagnosis of muscle tension dysphonia and spasmodic dysphonia. Current Opinion Otolaryngology & Head Neck Surgery, 18, 165-170. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOO.0b013e328339376c
- Blitzer, A., Lovelace, R. E., Brin, M. F., Fahn, S., & Fink, M. E. (1985). Electromyographic findings in focal laryngeal dystonia(spastic dysphonia). Annals of Otology, Rhinology, & Laryngology, 94, 591-594. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348948509400614
- Zwirner, P., Murry, T., Swenson, M., & Woodson, G. E. (1992). Effects of botulinum toxin therapy in patients with adductor spasmodic dysphonia: Acoustic, aerodynamic, and videoendoscopic findings. Laryngoscope, 102(4), 400-406. https://doi.org/10.1288/00005537-199204000-00006
- Stewart, C. F., Allen, E. L., Tureen, P., Diamond, B. E., Blitzer, A., & Brin, M. F. (1997). Adductor spasmodic dysphonia: standard evaluation of symptoms and severity. Journal of Voice, 11(1), 95-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(97)80029-X
- Dargin, T. C. & Searl, J. (2015). Semi-occluded vocal tract exercises: aerodynamic and electroglottographic measurements in singers. Journal of Voice, 29(2), 155-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2014.05.009
- Sovijarvi, A. (1965). Voice classification according to resonance. In E. Zwirner & W. Bethge (Eds.), Fifth International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (pp. 532-535). Basel, NY: Karger.
- Sihvo, M. & Denizoglu, I. (2013). Lax Vox Voice Therapy Technique. Retrieved from http://www.laxvox.com/ on March 22, 2016.
- Enflo, L. (2013). Collision Threshold Pressure: A Novel Measure of Voice Function-Effect of vocal warm-up, Vocal loading and Reonance Tube phonation in water. Medical Dissertations, Linkoping university.
- Granqvist, S., Simberg, S., Hertegrad, S., Holmqvist, S., Larsson, H., Lindestad, P. A., Sodersten, M., & Hammarberg, B. (2015). Resonance tube phonation in water: high-speed imaging, electroglottographic and oral pressure observations of vocal fold vibrations-a pilot study. Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology, 40(3), 113-121. https://doi.org/10.3109/14015439.2014.913682
- Effects of Laryngeal Massage and Semi-occluded Vocal Tract Exercises for Patients with Hyperfunctional Dysphonia vol.22, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12963/csd.17434