- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Assessment of the MELCOR 1.8.6 condensation heat transfer model under the presence of noncondensable gases
중대사고 해석코드 MELCOR 1.8.6의 비응축성기체 존재 시 응축열전달 모델 평가
- Received : 2016.04.07
- Accepted : 2016.06.16
- Published : 2016.06.30
A condensation heat transfer model is very important for the safety analysis of nuclear power plants. Especially, condensation under the presence of noncondensable gases (NCGs) is an important issue in nuclear safety because the presence of even a small quantity of NCGs in the vapor largely reduces the condensation rate. In this study, the condensation heat transfer model of the severe accident analysis code MELCOR 1.8.6 has been assessed using a set of condensation experiments performed under the thermal-hydraulic conditions similar to those inside a containment during design-basis accidents or severe accidents. Experiment conditions are categorized into 4 types according to the shape of the condensation surface: vertical flat plates, outer surface of vertical pipes, inner surface of vertical pipes, the inner surface of horizontal pipes. The results of the calculations show that the MELCOR code generally under-predicts the condensation heat transfer except the condensation on inner surface of vertical pipes.
Condensation heat transfer;Noncondensable gases;The MELCOR code;MELCOR 1.8.6
- Cavallini, A., et al. (2006). Condensation in horizontal smooth tubes: a new heat transfer model for heat exchanger design. Heat Transfer Engineering, 27(8), 31-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/01457630600793970
- Longo, G. A., and Gasparella, A. (2007). Heat transfer and pressure drop during HFC-134a condensation inside a commercial brazed plate heat exchanger. International Congress Refrigeration, Beijing.
- Bae, S. H. (2015). Thermal-hydraulic performance analysis of a passive containment cooling system using the MARS code. Pusan National University Master thesis.
- 안태환 외. (2015). 경사유로 관내 응축 실험장치 PICON 구축 보고서. 안전기술보고서, NSTAR-15NS11-04.
- Gauntt, R. O. (2005). MELCOR Computer Code Manuals - Vol. 2 : Reference Manuals, Version 1.8.6 September 2005. NUREG/CR-6119, Vol. 2, Rev. 3, SAND2005-5713, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Kevin Hogan, et al. (2010). Implementation of a generalized diffusion layer model for condensation into MELCOR. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 240, 3202-3208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2010.05.059
- Tuomo Sevon. (2010). MELCOR simulations of steam condensation in a condenser tube. Research report. VTT-R-01503-10.
- Wen Fu, et al. (2015). Assessment of the MELCOR and RELAP5-3D code for condensation in the presence of noncondensable gas. NURETH-16, Chicago.
- Incropera, F. P., Dewitt, D. P., Bergman, T. L. and Lavine, A. S. (2007). Introduction to heat transfer, 5th Edition, Chapter 7, John Wiley & Sons.
- Cheng, X., et al. (2001). Experimental data base for containment thermalhydraulic analysis. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 204, 267-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(00)00311-3
- Mimouni, S., et al. (2011). CFD modelling of wall steam condensation by a two-phase flow approach. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 241, 4445-4455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2010.09.020
- Ambrosini, W., et al. (2006). On various forms of the heat and mass transfer analogy: Discussion and application to condensation experiments. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 236, 1013-1027. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2005.10.009
- Ladislav Vyskocil. (2014). CFD simulation of airsteam flow with condensation. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 279, 147-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2014.02.014
- Dehbi, A. (2013). Prediction of steam condensation in the presence of noncondensable gases using a CFD-based approach. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 258, 199-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2013.02.002
- Dehbi, A, (1991). The effects of noncondensable gases on steam condensation under turbulent natural convection conditions. Ph.D. dissertation, MIT, Department of Nuclear Engineering, Cambridge, MA.
- Pan Tong and Guangming Fan. (2015). An experimental investigation of pure steam and steam-air mixtures condensation outside a vertical pin-fin tube. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 69, 141-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2015.08.009
- Pan Tong and Guangming Fan. (2015) Experimental study of steam-air condensation over a vertically longitudinal finned tub. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 89, 1230-1238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.06.036
- Nusselt, W. (1916). The surface condensation of water vapour. Zeitschrift des Vereines Deutscher Ingenieure, 60, 541-546.
- Rohsenow, W. M., et al. (1956). Effect of vapour velocity on laminar and turbulent film condensation. Trans. ASME, 78, 1637-1643.
- Chen, S. L., et al. (1987). General film condensation correlations. Experimental Heat Transfer, Vol. 1, No. 2, 93-107. https://doi.org/10.1080/08916158708946334
- Dhir, V. K., and Lienhard, J. (1971). Laminar film condensation on plane and axisymmetric bodies in nonuniform gravity. Journal of Heat Transfer, 93(1), 97-100. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3449773
- Shah, M. M. (1979). A general correlation for heat transfer during film condensation inside pipes. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 22(4), 547-556. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(79)90058-9
- Collier, J. G., and Thome, J. R. (1994). Convective boiling and condensation. (3rd ed). CLARENDON PRESS·OXFORD.
- Dobson, M. K., and Chato, J. C. (1998). Condenation in smooth horizontal tubes. Heat Transfer, 120(1), 193-213. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2830043
- Jung, D., et al. (2003). Flow condensation heat transfer coefficients of pure refrigerants. International Journal of Refrigeration, 26(1), 4-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-7007(02)00082-8
- Kuhn, S. Z. (1997) An investigation of condensation from steam-gas mixtures flowing downward inside a vertical tube. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 177, 53-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(97)00185-4
- Kuhn, S. Z. (1995). Investigation of heat transfer from condensing steam-gas mixtures and turbulent films flowing downward inside a vertical tube. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California at Berkeley.
- H. S. Park and H. C. No. (1998). Assessment of RELAP5/MOD3.2 for steam condensation experiments in the presence of noncondensibles in a vertical tube of PCCS. International Agreement Report.
- Siddique, M. (1992) The effects of noncondensable gases on steam condensation under forced convection conditions. Ph.D. dissertation, MIT.
- Wu, T. (2005). Horizontal in-tube condensation in the presence of a noncondensable gas. Ph.D. dissertation, Purdue University.
- Wu T., and Vierow, K. (2006). Local heat transfer measurements of steam/air mixtures in horizontal condenser tubes. International Journal of Heat and Mass transfer, 49, 2491-2501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2006.01.025
Supported by : 부산대학교