- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Process of Structural Design and Analysis of Thin Pressure Cylinder for Shallow Sea Usage
천해용 얇은 외압 실린더의 설계와 해석 과정
- Received : 2016.01.04
- Accepted : 2016.05.26
- Published : 2016.06.30
In this paper, an aluminum pressure vessel (cylinder) for a 200 m water depth is designed and analyzed. Because of their lack of usage in the deep sea, only a few papers about pressure vessels subjected to external pressures have previously been published. Moreover, the high level of imported external-pressure-vessel products limits the academic pursuit. Yet, research on internal pressure vessels is widely available because of their broad usage at onshore. This paper presents the process of basic designing and modelling of pressure vessels using the design rules of American Standard of Mechanical Engineering (ASME) Section VIII Division 1. To promote understanding, finite element analysis (FEA) result of an existing sample cylinder which was not designed by ASME code is compared with the design obtained in this paper. Several methodologies are used for the finite element analysis, including rectangular, cylindrical, and axisymmetric coordinate, to attain an accurate stress result. Same dimensions except the thickness of the cylinder and loading condition of 0.200 MPa was given for the current study. Finally, a rigorous design procedure is added for the bolt and boundary conditions of the cylindrical body and its ends. The obtained stress level satisfies the allowable design stress value specified in the ASME code.
External pressure vessel;ASME BPVC;Structural design;ANSYS FEA;Near sea
- Cho, S-R., Kim, H-S., Koo, J-B., Cho, J-R., Kwon, J-H., Choi, J-H., 2007. Experimental Study on the Ultimate Strength of Composite Cylinders under Hydrostatic Pressure. The Korean Society of Ocean Engineers, 21(3), 52-57.
- American Bureau of Shipping (ABS), 2010. Rules for Building and Classing, Underwater Vehicles, Systems and Hyperbaric Facilities.
- American Petroleum Institute (API), 2014. Consideration of External Pressure in the Design and Pressure Rating of Subsea Equipment. Technical Report 17TR12 First Edition.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2010. ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (ASME BPVC). Section VIII, Division 1; Rules for construction of pressure vessels.
- de Paor, C., Kelliher, D., Cronin, K,. Wright, W.M.D., McSweeney S-G., 2012. Prediction of Vacuum-induced Buckling Pressures of Thin-walled Cylinders. Thin-Walled Structures, 55, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2012.03.001
- Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), 1991. Design Criteria for 10,000 m Class Deepsea Pressure Vesse. Report of Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology.
- Jeong, T-H., Lee, J-H., Noh, I-S., Lee, J-M., Lee, P-M., 2006. A Structural Design of and Analysis of a Deep-sea Unmanned Underwater Vehicle. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20(3), 7-14.
- Jeong, T-H., Lee, J-H., Noh, I-S., Lee, P-M,. Aoki, T., 2004. Pressure Vessel Design and Structural Analysis of Unmanned Underwater Vehicle. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 41(6), 140-146. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2004.41.6.140
- Jeong, T-H., Noh, I-S., Lee, J-H., Lee, J-M., Tadahiri, H., Sammut, K., 2007. A Strudy on the Design, Manufacture, and Pressure Test of a Pressure Vessel Model. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 21(6), 101-106.
- Prabu, B., Rathinam, N., Srinivasan, N., Naarayen, K.A.S., 2009. Finite Element Analysis of Buckling of Thin Cylindrical Shell Subjected to Uniform External Pressure. Journal of Solid Mechanics, 1(2), 148-158.
- Jeong, T-H., Noh, I-S., Lee, J-H., Lee, P-M,. Han, S-H., 2005. Design Optimization of a Deep-sea Pressure Vessel by Reliability Analysis. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 19(2), 40-46.
- Kim, S-E., Kim, C-S., 2002. Buckling strength of the Cylindrical Shell and Tank Subjected to Axially Compressive Loads. Thin-Walled Structures. 40(4), 329-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(01)00066-0
- Little, A.P.F., Ross, C.T.F., Short, D., Brown, G.X., 2008. Inelastic Buckling of Geometrically Imperfect Tubes Under External Hydrostatic Pressure. The Journal of Ocean Technology, Rieview & Papers, 75-90.
- Ross, C.T.F., Little, A.P.F., Adeniyi, K.A., 2004. Buckling of Ring-stiffened Domes Under External Hydrostatic Pressure. Ocean Engineering, 31(2), 239-252. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(03)00121-5
- Shin, J-Y., Woo, J-S., 1999. Collapse Analysis of Deep Sea Pressure Vessel. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 13(4), 82-97.