- Volume 30 Issue 3
This paper proposes a potential field-based guidance law for docking a USV (unmanned surface vehicle). In most cases, a USV without side thrusters is an under-actuated system. Thus, there are undockable regions near docking stations where a USV cannot dock to a docking station without causing a collision or backward motion. This paper suggest a guidance law that prevents a USV from enter such a region by decreasing the lateral error to the docking station at the initial stage of the docking process. A Monte-carlo simulation was performed to validate the performance of the proposed method. The proposed method was compared to conventional guidance laws such as pure pursuit guidance and pure/lead pursuit guidance. As a result, the collision angle and lateral distance error of proposed method tended to have lower values compared to conventional methods.
Docking;Auto berthing;Guidance law;Unmanned Surface Vehicle
- Breivik, M., Hovstein, V.E., & Fossen, T.I., 2008. Straight-line Target Tracking for Unmanned Surface Vehicles. Modeling, Identification and Control, 29(4), 131-149. https://doi.org/10.4173/mic.2008.4.2
- Breivik, M., Loberg, J.E., 2011. A Virtual Target-based Underway Docking Procedure for Unmanned Surface Vehicles. Proceedings of the 18th IFAC World Congress. Milano, Italy, 13630-13635.
- Breivik, M., Strand, J.P., Fossen, T.I., 2006. Guided Dynamic Positioning for Fully Actuated Marine Surface Vessels. Proceedings of the 6th IFAC MCMC, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Dunbabin, M., Lang, B., Wood, B., 2007. Towards Coordinated Vision-based Docking Using an Autonomous Surface Vehicle. In Proceedings of the Australasian Conference on Robotics and Automation, Brisbane, Australia, 1-8.
- Dunbabin, M., Lang, B., Wood, B., 2008. Vision-based Docking Using an Autonomous Surface Vehicle. Robotics and Automation (ICRA). Pasadena USA, 26-32.
- Feezor, M.D., Sorrell, F.Y., Blankinship, P.R., Bellingham, J.G., 2001. Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Homing/Docking via Electromagnetic Guidance. Oceanic Engineering, 26(4), 515-521. https://doi.org/10.1109/48.972086
- Jantapremjit, P., Wilson, P.A., 2008. Guidance-control Based Path Following for Homing and Docking Using an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. OCEANS 2008, Kobe Japan, 1-6.
- Martins, A., Almeida, J. M., Ferreira, H., Silva, H., Dias, N., Dias, A., Silva, E.P., 2007. Autonomous Surface Vehicle Docking Manoeuvre with Visual Information. Robotics and Automation, Roma, Italy, 4994-4999.
- Research on the Legal Status of Unmanned Surface Vehicle vol.1069, pp.1742-6596, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1069/1/012004