- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of agricultural byproducts, DDG and MSG, on the larval development of mealworms
Kim, Sun Young;Kim, Hong Geun;Lee, Kyeong Yong;Yoon, Hyung Joo;Kim, Nam Jung
- Received : 2016.06.03
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
Distillers dried grain (DDG) and makgeolli spent grain (MSG) are agricultural byproducts to produce alcoholic beverage. However, they are known to contain enough nutrients. Mealworm is a promising insect resource for an animal feed ingredient as well as alternative human food. With low cost, DDG and MSG were investigated as a feed ingredient for rearing high quality mealworms. DDG and MSG were mixed with wheat bran and compared to control feed (only wheat bran) for its effects on larval survivorship, larval weight, duration for developmental period, pupation rate, and pupal weight. When DDG added, larval survivorship was reduced to 50~70% compared to the control group. Larvae fed on DDG were heavier from third to sixth week. Especially, larvae with 50% DDG were 28% heavier than the control group at the third week. For the larval period, the 50% DDG group was 11% less than that for the control. The pupal weight for the 30% DDG group was 7% heavier than that for the control group. Pupation rates for all the DDG groups were higher than 90%. When compared to the control, larval survivorship for the 70% MSG group was low, but the 50% and 70% MSG groups were high during the seventh and eighth weeks because of delayed development. After the eighth week, larvae with 70% MSG showed the highest larval weight increase as 9~18% compared to the control group. Except 70% MSG group, all of MSG groups showed more than 90% pupation rates. We confirmed that adding 30~50% of DDG or MSG to conventional wheat bran have a strong potential to replace the conventional wheat bran insect feed for quality insect production.
Tenebrio molitor;larva;distillers dried grain(DDG);makgeolli spent grain(MSG)
- Belyea RL, Rausch KD, Tumbleson ME (2004) Composition of corn and distillers dried grains with solubles from dry grind ethanol processing. Bioresour Technol 94(3), 293-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.01.001
- Choi GW, Kim Y, Kim K (2009) Low Temperature Pre-treatment of New Cultivar of Corn for Ethanol Production and Nutrient Value of Its Distiller’s Dried Grains with Soluble. Biotechol Bioprocess Eng 14, 496-502. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-008-0305-z
- Choi GW, Moon SK, Kim Y, Jang BW, Kim YR, Chung BW (2008) Optimization of Solid-State Fermentation Condition Using Distiller’s Dried Grain. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 23(4), 345-349. https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.21911
- Cho MK, Lee WJ (1996) Preparation of High-Fiber Bread with Soybean Curd Residue and Makkolli(Rice Wine) Residue. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25(4), 632-636.
- Cho SY, Park JW, Rhee C (1998) Edible Films from Protein Concentrates of Rice Wine Meal. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30(5), 1097-1106.
- Debing J, Peijun L, Stagnitti F, Xianzhe X, Li L (2006) Pectinase production by solid fermentation from Aspergillus niger by a new prescription experiment. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 64(2), 244-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2005.01.002
- Huang Q, Zhou ZJ, Yang W, Hu J, Yang CP (2005) Screening substitute hosts for mass rearing of Scleroderma sichuanensis Xiao (Hymenoptera: Bethylidae). Acta Entomol Sin 48(3), 375-379.
- Fastinger ND, Latshaw JD, Mahan DC (2006) Amino acid availability and true metabolizable energy content of corn distillers dried grain with solubles in adult cecectomized roosters. Poultry Sci 85(7), 1212-1216. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.7.1212
- Ganesan V, Rosentrater KA, Muthukumarappan K (2007) Modeling the flow properties of DDGS. Cereal Chem 84(6), 556-562. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM-84-6-0556
- He K, Xu ZQ, Dai PL (2006) The parasitizing behavior of Scleroderma guani Xiao et Wu (Hymenoptera: Bethylidae) wasps on Tenebrio molitor pupae. Acta Entomol Sin 49(3), 454-460.
- Huang Q, Zhou ZJ, Zhou DG, Hu J, Yang W, Yang CP (2006) Analysis of nutritional component of Tenebrio molitor L. pupa. Sichuan J Zool 25(4), 809-813.
- Huang Q, Zhou ZJ, Zhou DG, Hu J, Yang W, Yang CP (2007) Analysis of nutritional components of seven species of insects. Acta Nutr Sin 29(1), 94-96.
- Huang Q, Hu J, Zhou DG, Sun L, Ruan HB, Wang XN, Chen G, Zhu TH, Yang CP, Yang W (2011) Comparison of growth, development, survivorship and food utilization of two color varieties of Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Acta Entomol Sin 54(3), 286-292.
- Jeong JW, Park KJ (2006) Quality Characteristics of Loaf Bread Added with Takju powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38(1), 52-58.
- Jin J, Kim SY, Jin Q, Eom HJ, Han NS (2008) Diversity analysis of lactic acid bacteria in Takju, Korean rice wine. J Microbial Biotechnol 18(10), 1678-1682.
- Kim IK, Yun YC, Shin YC, Yoo JY (2013) Effect of Sparassis crispa extracts on immune cell activation and tumor growth inhibition. J Life Sci 23(8), 984-988. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.8.984
- Kim SW, Choi HJ, Han BK, Yoo SS, Kim CN, Kim BY, Baik MY (2011) Derivatization of rice wine meal using commercial proteases and characterization of its hydrolysates. Korean J Food Sci Technol 43(6), 729-734. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.6.729
- Kim JE, Jung SK, Lee SJ, Lee KW, Kim GW, Lee HJ (2008) Nuruk extract inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced production of nitrite and interleukin-6 in RAW 264.7 cells through blocking activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Microbial Biotechnol 18(8), 1423-1426.
- Kim SM, Yoon CH, Cho WK (2007) Quality Characteristics of Noodle with Takju (Korean turbid rice wine) lees. Korean J Food Culture 22(3), 359-364.
- Kim SM, Cho WK (2006) Effects of Takju (Korean turbid rice wine) Lees on the Serum Glucose Levels in Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Rats. Korean J Food Culture 21(6), 638-643.
- Kim SY, Chung TH, Kim SH, Song SH, Kim NJ (2014) Recycling Agricultural Wastes as Feed for Mealworm (Tenebrio molitor). Korean J Appl Entomol 53(4), 365-371.
- Kim SY, Kim HG, Lee KY, Yoon HJ, Kim NJ (2016) Effects of Brewer’s spent grain (BSG) on larval growth of mealworms, Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Int J Indust Entomol 32(1), 41-48. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2016.32.1.41
- Lee HS, Hong KH, Kim JY, Kim DH, Yoon CH, Kim SM (2009) Blood Pressure Lowering Effect of Korean turbid rice wine (Takju) Lees Extracts in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rat (SHR). Korean J Food Culture 24(3), 338-343.
- Lee HS, Hong KH, Yoon CH, Kim JM, Kim SM (2009) Effect of Korean Turbid Rice Wine (Takju) Lees Extract on Blood Glucose in the db/db Mouse. Korean J Food Culture 24(2), 219-223.
- Lee KS, Kim DH (1991) Effect of sake cake on the quality of low salted Kochuzang(in Korean). Korean J Food Sci Technol 23(1), 109-115.
- Lim YS, Bae SM, Kim K (2004) Production of Yeast Spores from Rice Wine Cake. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 32(2), 184-189.
- Lee JH, Lee JH, Yang HJ, Song KB (2015) Preparation of Makgeolli Residue Protein Film Containing Wasabi Extract and Its Application. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44(2), 268-274. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.2.268
- Lee SK, Lee ID, Kim YK (2001) Effects of Adding Ginseng Meal on the Quality of Distillers Feed Silage. J Agr Sci 28(1), 27-32.
- Li LY, Zhaob Z, Liua H (2012) Feasibility of feeding yellow mealworm (Tenebrio molitor L.) in bioregenerative life support systems as a source of animal protein for humans. Elsevier, 92(1), 103-109.
- Mamma D, Kourtoglou E, Christakopoulos P (2008) Fungal multienzyme production on industrial by-products of the citrus-processing industry. Bioresource Technol 99(7), 2373-2383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.05.018
- Ng WK, Liew FL, Ang LP, Wong KW (2001) Potential of mealworm (Tenebrio molitor) as an alternative protein source in practical diets for African catfish, Clarias gariepinus. Aquac Res 32(1), 273-280. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1355-557x.2001.00024.x
- Rausch KD, Belyea RL (2006) The future of coproducts from corn processing. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 128(1), 47-86. https://doi.org/10.1385/ABAB:128:1:047
- Ravzanaadii N, Kim SH, Choi WH, Hong SJ, Kim NJ (2012) Nutritional Value of Mealworm, Tenenrio molitor as Food source. Int J Indust Entomol 25(1), 93-98. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2012.25.1.093
- Saito Y, Wanezaki K, Kawato A, Imayasu S (1994) Structure and activity of angiotensin I converting enzyme inhibitory peptides from sake and sake lees. Biosci Biotechno Biochem 58(10), 1767-1771. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.58.1767
- Sandhya C, Sumantha A, Szakacs G, Pandey A (2005) Comparative evaluation of neutral protease production by Aspergillus oryzae in submerged and solid-state fermentation. Process Biochem 40(8), 2689-2694. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2004.12.001
- Seo GU, Choi SY, Kim TW, Ryu SG, Park JH, Lee SC (2013) Functional activities of makgeolli by-products as cosmetic materials. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(4), 505-511. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.505
- Shin MO, Kang DY, Kim MH, Bae SJ (2008) Effect of growth inhibition and quinone reductase activity stimulation of Makgeoly fractions in various cancer cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37(3), 288-293. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.3.288
- Song MH (2005) Nutritional components and nutritive value of corn-DDGS about milk cow, beef cattle, pig, and fowl. Kofeed 15, 44-51.
- Tian SP, Xu ZQ (2003) Effects of different temperatures on the development of Scleroderma guani reared with Tenebrio molitor. Entomol Knowl 40(4), 356-359.
- Wu H, Wang XY, Li ML, Yang ZQ, Zeng FX, Wang HY, Bai L, Liu SJ, Sun J (2008) Biology and mass rearing of Sclerodermus pupariae Yang et Yao (Hymenoptera: Bethylidae), an important ectoparasitoid of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) in China. Acta Entomol Sin 51(1), 46-54.
- Ye XQ, Su P, Hu C (1997) Chemical analysis and evaluation of protein and fat for yellow mealworm (Tenebrio molitor L.). J Zhejiang Agric Univ 23(S), 35-38.
- Yoo JM, Hwang JS, Goo TW, Yun EY (2013) Comparative analysis of nutritional and harmful components in Korean and Chinese mealworms (Tenebrio molitor). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(2), 249-254. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.2.249
- Zanuncio JC, Zanuncio TV, Guedes RNC, Ramalho FS (2000) Effect of feeding on three Eucalyptus species on the development of Brontocoris tabidus (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae) fed with Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Biocontr Sci Tech 10(4), 443-450. https://doi.org/10.1080/09583150050115025
- Effect of temperature on growth and oviposition characteristics of Meganoton scribae (Lepidoptera: Sphingidae) vol.33, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2016.33.2.63
- Nutritional analysis of alternative feed ingredients and their effects on the larval growth of Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) vol.47, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-5967.12236