- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Cyanobacteria Community and Growth Potential Test in Sediment of Lake Paldang
팔당호 퇴적층 남조류의 군집과 남조류 성장잠재성 분석
- Kim, Yong-Jin ;
- Baek, Jun-Soo ;
- Youn, Seok-Jea ;
- Kim, Hun-Nyun ;
- Lee, Byoung-cheun ;
- Kim, Gueeda ;
- Park, Songeun ;
- You, Kyung A ;
- Lee, Jae-Kwan
- Received : 2016.02.15
- Accepted : 2016.04.06
- Published : 2016.05.30
We analyzed cyanobacterial community including akinete, resting cell, and benthic cyanobacteria in sediment of Bukhan, Namhan-River, Paldang-Lake, and Kyeongan-Stream and compared the physicochemical factors for water and pore water. We also performed cyanobacteria growth potential test through incubating sediment. As a result of physicochemical analysis, the concentrations of nutrients were similar for each depth of Bukhan-River. For Namhan-River and Lake Paldang sites, the concentrations of TP and DTN in bottom and deep water had higher levels. DTN in water body composed of NO3-N(73%) while DTN in pore water composed of NH3-N(77.8%). Benthic cyanobacteria in the sediment such as Oscillatoria tenuis, O. limosa, Phormidium tenue, Pseudanabaena limnetica, and Lyngbya sp. were dominant (between 0.0∼243.3×103 cells/g, w/w). Cell densities of cyanobacteria in sediment depth of 0∼2 cm in most sites were higher compared to those in other depths. The cell density of cyanobacteria in sediment correlated with pH, conductivity, BOD5, TP, DTP, and chl. a. Increased phytoplankton and organic matters were found to be able to inhibit the growth of benthic cyanobacteria. Results of cyanobacteria growth potential test after incubating sediment revealed that harmful cyanobacteria (Anabaena, Aphanizomenon, Microcystis, and Oscillatoria) appeared at 7 days post culturing. Base on these results, the methods used in this study are considered to be able to determine the appearance of harmful cyanobacteria.
- American Public Health Association (APHA). (2005). Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 21st ed, American Public Health Association, Washington, D.C. USA.
- Dodds, W. K. (2003). The Role of Periphyton in Phosphorus Retention in Shallow Freshwater Aquatic Systems, Journal of Phycology, 39(5), pp. 840-849. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1529-8817.2003.02081.x
- Baek, J. S., Kim, H. N., and Lee, O. M. (2014). The Water Quality Assesment Based on the Algal Communities and Biotic Indices in Hongcheon River, Gangwon-do, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 30(6), pp. 596-604. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2014.30.6.596
- Carlton, R. G. and Wetzel, R. G. (1988). Phosphorus Flux from Lake Sediments: Effects of Epipelic Algal Oxygen Production, Limnology and Oceanography, 33(4), pp. 562-570. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1988.33.4.0562
- Chung, J. (1993). Illustration of the Freshwater Algae of Korea, Academy Publishing Company, Seoul, pp. 496. [Korean Literature]
- Han River Watershed Management Committee. (2008), Survey on the Environment Ecosystem of Lakes in the Han River System, Han River Watershed Management Committee, pp. 923. [Korean Literature]
- Han River Watershed Management Committee. (2014). Investigation of Causes of Off-flavor Material Production by Harmful Algae and Management Strategy (II), Han River Watershed Management Committee, pp. 433. [Korean Literature]
- Hasson, L. A. (1988). Effects of Competitive Interactions on the Biomass Development of Plankton and Periphytic Algae in Lake, Limnology and Oceanography, 33(1), pp. 121-128. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1988.33.1.0121
- Hašler, P., Poulíčková, A., and Lysáková, M. (2004). The Survival and Vitality of Cyanobacteria and Algae in Fishpond Bottom Sediments, Czech Phycology Olomouc, 4, pp. 133-144.
- Hirose, H. M., Akiyama, T., Imahori, K., Kasaki, H. Kumano, S., Kobayasi, H., Tajahashi, E., Tsumura, T., Hirano, M., and Yamagishi, T. (1977). Illustrations of the Japanese Freshwater Algae, Uchidarokakuho Publishing Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, pp. 932.
- Horne, A. J. and Goldman, C. R. (1994). Limnology, McGraw-Hill, Inc., USA.
- Kim, Y. J., Youn, S. J., Kim, H. N., Park, E. R., Hwang, M. Y., Park, J. R., Lee, B. C., and Lee, J. K. (2014). Formation of Plankton Community and Occurences of Odorous Compounds by Sediment Incubation, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 30(6), pp. 658-664. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2014.30.6.658
- John, D. M., Whitton, B. A., and Brook, A. J. (2002). The Freshwater Algal Flora of the British lsles, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 702.
- Jüttner, F. and Watson, S. B. (2007). Biochemical and Ecological Control of Geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol in Source Waters, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 73(4), pp. 4395-4406. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02250-06
- Kang, P. G., Lee, S. J., Byeon, M. S., Yoon, S. A., Kim, H. N., Lee, J. K., and Hwang, S. J. (2014). Current Status and Perspectives in the Akinete Study of the Blue-green Algal Genus Anabaena, Korean Journal of Ecology and Environment, 47(1), pp. 1-12. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2014.47.1.001
- Kim, Y. J., Youn, S. J., Kim, H. N., Hwang, M. Y., Park, J. R., Lee, B. C., and Lee, J. K. (2015). Formation of Phytoplankton Community and Occurrences of Odorous Compounds for Sediment Incubation by Water Temperature, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 31(5), pp. 460-467. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2015.31.5.460
- Komárek, J. and Anagnostidis, K. (2005). Süᵦwasserflora von Mitteleuropa, Cynoprokaryota: 2 Teil/2nd Part: Oscillatoriales, Elsevier Spektrum Akadenischer Verlag, München, 19, pp. 759.
- Latour, D. and Giraudet, H. (2004). Factors Influencing the Spatio-temporal Distribution of Benthic Microcystis aeruginosa Colonies (Cyanobacteria) in the Hypertrophic Grangent Reservoir (Loire, France), Comptes Rendus Biologies, 327(8), pp. 753-761. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crvi.2004.07.003
- Lee, K., Choi, M. J., Park, H. K., and Lee, J. H. (2009). Characteristics Release Rate of Nutrients from Sediment in Lake Paldang and Lake Cheongpyeong, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 25(5), pp. 742-740. [Korean Literature]
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). (2007). Standard Methods for the Examination Water Quality, Ministry of Environment. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, J. H., Park, H. K., Lee, K., and Kim, E. M. (2010). The Nitrogen Behavior and Budget in Lake Paldang, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 26(1), pp. 71-80. [Korean Literature]
- Li, Z., Han, M. S., Hwang, S. O., Byeon, M. S., Hwang, S. J., and Kim, B. H. (2013). Molecular Identification of the Bloom-forming Cyanobacterium Anabaena from North Han River System in Summer 2012, Korean Journal Limnology, 46(2), pp. 301-309. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2013.46.2.301
- Matsuoka, K. and Fukuyo, Y. (2000). Technical Guide for Modern Dinoflagellate cyst study, WESTPAC-HAB/WESTPAC/IOC, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, pp. 29.
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER). (2014). Physiological and Ecological Characteristics of Algae in the Lake Paldang(I), National Institute of Environmental Research, pp. 62. [Korean Literature]
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER). (2015). Physiological and Ecological Characteristics of Algae in the Lake Paldang(II), National Institute of Environmental Research, pp. 57. [Korean Literature]
- Søndergaard, M., Jensen, J. P., and Jeppesen, E. (2003). Role of Sediment and Internal Loading of Phosphorus in Shallow Lakes, Hydrobiologia, 506-509(1-3), pp. 135-145. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:HYDR.0000008611.12704.dd
- Sze, P. (1997). A Biology of the Algae, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc, pp. 288.
- Tyler, A. C. and McGlathery, K. J. (2003). Benthic Algae Control Sediment-water Column Fluxes of Organic and Inorganic Nitrogen Compounds in Temperate lagoon, Limnology and Oceanography, 48(6), pp. 2125-2137. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2003.48.6.2125
- Yamamoto, Y. and Nakahara, H. (2009). Life Cycle of Cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, Taiwania, 54(2), pp. 113-117.
- You, K. A., Byeon, M. S., Youn, S. J., Hwang, S. J., and Rhew, D. H. (2013). Growth Characteristics of Blue-green Algae (Anabaena spiroides) Causing Tastes and Odors in the North-Hna River, Korea, Korean Journal of Ecological and Environment, 46(1), pp. 135-144. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2013.46.1.135
- Zhang, X. and Mei, X. (2015). Effects of Benthic Algae on Release of Soluble Reactive Phosphorus from Sediments: a Radioisotope Tracing Study, Water Science and Engineering, 8(2), pp. 127-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wse.2015.04.008
- The Presence of Toxic and Non-Toxic Cyanobacteria in the Sediments of the Limpopo River Basin: Implications for Human Health vol.10, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins10070269
Grant : 4대강 유역환경 현안대응 특성화연구
Supported by : 국립환경과학원