- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Coliform Pollution Status of Nakdong River and Tributaries
낙동강수계 본류와 유입지천의 대장균군 오염도
Lee, Hae-Jin;Park, Hae-Kyung;Lee, Jae Hak;Park, A Reum;Cheon, Se-Uk
- Received : 2016.02.19
- Accepted : 2016.04.06
- Published : 2016.05.30
The aim of this study was to analyze spatial and temporal patterns of bacterial pollution levels and the relationship between bacterial pollutants and environmental parameters at the main stream and tributaries of Nakdong River. Water quality data including total coliform and fecal coliform were compiled from a total of 50 monitoring sites (30 at the main stream and 20 at the tributaries) along with rainfall and discharge data for three consecutive years from 2012 to 2014. During the study periods, the geometric mean values of total coliforms and fecal coliforms in the main stream were 74 (22~465) CFU/100 mL and 8 (3~42) CFU/100 mL, respectively. The geometric mean values of total coliforms and fecal coliforms in the tributaries were 275 (36~5,145) CFU/100 mL and 6 (1~1,352) CFU/100 mL, respectively. High concentrations of fecal coliforms were observed at Gumi (M 10), Hyeonpung (M 19), Hapcheon (M 23), and Namji (M 25) in the main stream, whereas Gamcheon (T 6), Bakcheon (T 7), Geumho-gang (T 8), and Gyeseongcheon (T 16) were identified as pollution hot spots in the tributaries. Although bacterial pollution levels showed complex behavior across monitoring sites and time, the highest coliform concentrations were routinely observed in the monsoon season between July and September of each year, indicating that the pollution levels were strongly dependent on precipitation in addition to other physiochemical parameters. Statistically significant correlations were found between fecal coliform concentrations and precipitation (r=0.403, p<0.01), followed by SS (r=0.425, p<0.01), nutrient TP (r=0.388, p<0.01), organic matter COD (r=0.322, p<0.01), and PO4-P (r=0.317, p<0.01) in the main stream in the order of correlation coefficient from high to low.
Coliform pollution;Environmental factors;Nakdong River;Precipitation
- Bergstein, T. and Stone, L. (1991). The Distribution of Fecal Pollution Indicator Bacteria in Lake Kinneret, Water Research, 25(3), pp. 266-270.
- Beck, Y. S. and Sohn, J. S. (2006). Studies on the Effect of Water Quality Parameters on Total Coliform Concentration in Sewage Effluents, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 22(1), pp. 166-171. [Korean Literature]
- Boxter-Potter, W. R. and Gilliland, M. W. (1988). Bacterial Pollution in Runoff from Agricultural lands, Journal of Environmental Quality, 17, pp. 27-34. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq1988.00472425001700010004x
- Ferguson, C. M., Goote, B. G., Ashbolt, N. J., and Stevenson, I. M. (1996). Relationships Between Indicators, Pathogens and Water Quality in an Estuarine System, Water Research, 30(9), pp. 2045-2054. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(96)00079-6
- Gannon, J. J., Busse, M. K., and Schillinger, J. E. (1983). Fecal Coliform Disappearance in a River Impoundment, Water Research, 17(11), pp. 1595-1601. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(83)90017-9
- Grabill, C., Donald, R., Snelling, J., Foust, R., and Southam, G. (1999). The Impact of Sediment Fecal Coliform Reservoirs of Seasonal Water Quality in Oak Creek, Arizona, Water Research, 33(9), pp. 2163-2171. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(98)00437-0
- Jang, H. J. and Lee, Y. W. (2003). A Study of Investigation of Fecal Contamination Indicator Bacteria for Management of Source Water Quality, Korean Journal of Environmental Health, 29(1), pp. 19-27. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, Y. O., Cho, J. L., Kim, S. H., Kim, S. D., Heo, S. N., and Lee, H. J. (2006). Comparative studies on detecting methods for fecal indicators, Proceedings of the 2006 Spring Co-Conference of the Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean society of Water and Wastewater, Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, pp. 414-419. [Korean Literature]
- Kim, K. H. and Yur, J. H. (2004). Effect of the Non-Point Source Pollution on the Concentration of Pathogen Indicator Organism in the Geum River Basin, Republic of Korea, Journal of Civil Engineering, 8(2), pp. 181-187.
- Korea Meteological Adminstration (KMA). (2015). Whether Information, http://www.kma.go.kr/whether/observation.currentweather.jsp (accessed Dec. 2015).
- Lee, J. H., Lee, H. J., Park, A. R., and Park, H. K. (2015) Coliform Pollution Status of Tributaries in Nakdong River System, Proceedings of the 2015 Co-Conference of the Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean society of Water and Wastewater, Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, pp. 505-506. [Korean Literature]
- Macdanielas, A. E., Bordner, R. H., Gartside, P. S., Haines, J. R., Conner, K. P., and Rankin, C. C. (1985). Holding Effects on Coliform Enumaration in Drinking Water Samples, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 50, pp. 755-762.
- Mallin, M. A., Ensign, S. H., Mciver, M. R., Shank, G. C., and Fowler, P. K. (2001). Demographic, Landscape, and Meteological Factors Controlling the Microbial Pollution of Coastal Waters, Hydrobiologia, 460, pp. 185-193. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013169401211
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). (2015). Water Environment Information System (WEIS), http://water.nier.go.kr/waterMeasurement/selectWater.do (accessed Aug. 2015).
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER). (2001). The Application of Coliforms as a Fresh Water Quality Standard, NIER No. 2001-24-616, National Institute of Environmental Research, pp. 69-71. [Korean Literature]
- Park, A. R., Lee, H. J., Lee, J. H., and Park, H. K. (2015). Total and Fecal Coliform Pollution changes in Nakdong River, Proceedings of the 2015 Co-Conference of the Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean society of Water and Wastewater, Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, pp. 479-480. [Korean Literature]
- Park, H. K., Shin, K. D., Kim, J. Y., and Kong, D. S. (2009). Distribution of Coliform and Fecal Coliform Bacteria in Lake Paldang, Proceedings of the 2009 Spring Co-Conference of the Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, pp. 661-662. [Korean Literature]
- Park, J. E., Kim, S. D., Cho, J. L., Kim, S. H., Lee, H. J., and Lee, Y. O. (2006). Comparative Studies on Detecting Methods of Fecal Indicators (Coliforms) in Surface Water, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 22(6), pp. 1052-1059. [Korean Literature]