- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Use of Radar Rainfall for Rainfall-Triggered Mud-Debris Flows at an Ungauged Site
미계측 지역에서 토석류 유발강우의 산정을 위한 레이더 강우의 활용에 대한 연구
Jun, Hwandon;Lee, Jiho;Kim, Soojun
- Received : 2016.03.14
- Accepted : 2016.05.26
- Published : 2016.05.30
It has been a big problem to estimate rainfall for the studies of mud-debris flows because the estimated rainfall from the nearest AWS (Automatic Weather Station) can tend to be quite inaccurate at individual sites. This study attempts to improve this problem through accurate rainfall depth estimation by applying an artificial neural network with radar rainfall data. For this, three models were made according to utilizing methodologies of rainfall data. The first model uses the nearest rainfall, observing the site from an ungauged site. The second uses only radar rainfall data and the third model integrates the above two models using both radar and observed rainfall at the sites around the ungauged site. This methodology was applied to the metropolitan area in Korea. It appeared as though the third model improved rainfall estimations by the largest margin. Therefore, the proposed methodology can be applied to forecast mud-debris flows in ungageed sites.
Artificial neural network;Automatic weather station;Mud-debris flow;Radar rainfall
- Ahn, J. H., Jang, S. H., Choi, W. S., and Yoon, Y. N. (2006). An Efficient Management of Sediment Deposit for Reservoir Long-Term Operation (1) - Reservoir Sediment Estimation, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 22(6), pp. 1088-1093.
- Ahnert, P. R., Krajewski, W. F., and Johnson, E. R. (1986) Kalman Filter Estimation of Radar-rainfall Mean Field Bias, 23rd Radar Meteorology Conference, American Meteorological Society, pp. 33-37.
- Barbosa, S. (1994). Brief Review of Radar-Raingauge Adjustment Techniques, Advances in Radar Hydrology, pp. 148-169.
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, C. K., Kim, K. T., and Kim, J. H. (2013). Evaluation of the Application of Radar Data for Local Landslide Warning, Journal of Wetlands Research, 15(2), pp. 191-201. https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2013.15.2.191
- European Union (EU). (2011). Work Package WP 4.1-Short-term Weather Forecasting for Shallow Landslide Prediction, Safe Land Project.
- Ham, D. H. and Hwang, S. H. (2014). Review of Landslide Forecast Standard Suitability by Analysing Landslide-inducing Rainfall, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 14(3), pp. 299-310. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2014.14.3.299
- Kim, B. S., Hong, J. B., Kim, H. S., and Choi, K. H. (2007). Combining Radar and Rain Gauge Rainfall Estimates for Flood Forecasting Using Conditional Merging Method, Journal of The Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 27(3B), pp. 255-265.
- Korea Forest Research Institute (KFRI). (2014). Knowing Landslides Right, Korea Forest Research Institute.
- Kim, J. H. (1993). A Study on Hydrological Forecast of Stream Flow Using Neural Network, Doctor's Dissertation, Inha University.
- Kim, K. H., Jung, H. R., Park, J. H., and Ma, H. S. (2011). Analysis on Rainfall and Geographical Characteristics of Landslides in Gyeongnam Province, Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology, 14(2), pp. 33-45.
- Kim, K. S. (2008). Characteristics of Basin Topography and Rainfall Triggering Debris Flow, Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 28(5C), pp. 263-271.
- Lee, M. J., Lee, S. R., and Jeon, S. W. (2012). Landslide Hazard Mapping and Verification Using Probability Rainfall and Artificial Neural Networks, Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, 15(2), pp. 57-70. https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2012.15.2.057
- Liao, Z., Hong, Y., Kirschbaum, D., Adler, F. R., Gourley, J. J., and Wooten, R. (2011). Evaluation of TRIGRS (Transient Rainfall Infiltration and Grid-based Regional Slope-stability analysis)'s Predictive Skill for Hurricane-triggered Landslides: a Case Study in Macon County, North Carolina, Natural Hazards, 58, pp. 325-39. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-010-9670-y
- Liu, H., Chandrasekar, V., and Xu, G. (2001). An Adaptive Neural Network Scheme for Radar Rainfall Estimation from WSR-88D Observations, Journal of Applied Meteorology, 40(11), pp. 2038-2050. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(2001)040<2038:AANNSF>2.0.CO;2
- Nash, J. E. and Sutcliffe, J. V. (1970). River Flow Forecasting through Conceptual Models. Part I-A: Discussion of Principles, Journal of Hydrology, 10, pp. 283-290.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and United States Geological Survey (NOAA and USGS). (2005) NOAA-USGS Debris-Flow Warning System-Final Report, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and United States Geological Survey.
- Remaitre, A., Wallner, S., Promper, C., Glade, T., and Malet, J. P. (2013). Rainfall Characteristics Associated to the Triggering of Fast- and Slow-moving Landslides - A Comparison between the South French Alps and Lower Austria, Geophysical Research Abstracts, 15, EGU2013-4711.
- Oh, J. and Park, H. J. (2014). Analysis of Landslide Triggering Rainfall Threshold for Prediction of Landslide Occurrence, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 14(2), pp. 115-129. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2014.14.2.115
- Park, J. and Kim, G. (2006) Estimation of Soil Loss by Land Use in the Geum River Basin using RUSLE Model, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 22(4), pp. 619-625.
- Reid, M. E., Baum, R. L., LaHusen, R. G., and Ellis, W. L. (2008). Capturing Landslide Dynamics and Hydrologic Triggers Using Near-real-time Monitoring, Landslides and Engineered Slopes, pp. 179-191.
- Ren, D., Fu, R., Leslie, L. M., and Dickinson, R. E. (2011). Predicting storm-triggered landslides, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 92(2), pp. 129-139. https://doi.org/10.1175/2010BAMS3017.1
- Rosenblatt, F. (1958). The Perceptron : A Probabilistic Model for Information Storage and Organization in the Brain, Psychological Review, 65, pp. 386-408. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0042519
- Son, K., Kim, H., Lim K. J., and Jung, Y. (2015) Study on Sediment Runoff Reduction using Vegetative Filter Strips in a Mountainous Watershed, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 31(4), pp. 407-417. https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2015.31.4.407
- Yoo, C. and Kim, K. (2010). Analysis on Characteristics of Sediment Produce by Landslide in a Basin -2. Rainfall Eventbased Analysis-, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 10(3), pp. 147-154.
- Yune, C. Y., Jun, K. J., Kim, K. S., Kim, G. H., and Lee, S. W. (2010). Analysis of Slope Hazard-Triggering Rainfall Characteristics in Gangwon Province by Database Construction, Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, 26(10), pp. 27-38.