- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Biodrying of municipal solid waste under different ventilation periods
- Ab Jalil, N.A. (Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia) ;
- Basri, H. (Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia) ;
- Basri, N.E. Ahmad (Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia) ;
- Abushammala, Mohammed F.M. (Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East College, Knowledge Oasis Muscat)
- Received : 2015.10.27
- Accepted : 2016.02.13
- Published : 2016.06.30
Biodrying is a pre-treatment method that applies biological and mechanical concepts to drying solid waste. In Malaysia, municipal solid waste (MSW) is unseparated and contains a high level of moisture, making the use of technology such as solid waste burning unsuitable and harmful. MSW containing organic material can be processed naturally until the moisture content of the waste is reduced. This study on MSW biodrying was carried out on a laboratory scale to measure the percent moisture content reduction and to monitor temperature patterns under different ventilation periods. This work was conducted using five biodrying reactors volumes of 50 liters each. Reactors were ventilated for 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 min every 3 h, with a 3 bar air supply. The duration of this process was 14 days for all samples. The results showed that the optimum ventilation time was 10 min, with an 81.84% reduction in moisture content, and that it required almost half of the electricity cost required for the 20 and 30 min ventilations.
Supported by : Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
- Kathirvale S, Yunus M, Sopian K, Samsuddin A. Energy potential from municipal solid waste in Malaysia. Renew Energ. 2004;29:559-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2003.09.003
- Ciuta S, Apostol T, Rusu V. Urban and rural MSW stream characterization for separate collection improvement. Sustainability 2015;7:916-931. https://doi.org/10.3390/su7010916
- Rada E. Energy from municipal solid waste. WIT Trans. Ecol. Environ. 2014;190:945-958.
- Rada E. Effects of MSW selective collection on waste-to-energy strategies. Wit. Trans. Ecol. Envir. 2013; 176:215-223.
- Consonni S. Giugliano M. Massarutto A. Ragazzi M. Saccani C. Material and energy recovery in integrated waste management systems: Project overview and main results. Waste Manage. 2011;31:2057-2065. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2011.04.016
- Cioranu S.I, Badea A. 2013.Different strategies for MSW management in two Romanian cities: Selective collection versus bio-drying. UPB Sci. Bull., series D. 75:151-158
- Abushammala MF, Basri NEA, Younes MK. Methane oxidation in landfill cover soils: A review. AJAE. 2014;8:1-14. https://doi.org/10.5572/ajae.2014.8.1.001
- Gholamifard S, Eymard R, Duquennoi C. Modeling anaerobic bioreactor landfills in methanogenic phase: Long term and short term behaviors. Water Res. 2008;42:5061-5071. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.09.040
- Ab Jalil N, Basri H, Basri NEA, Abushammala MF. The Potential of Biodrying as Pre-treatment for Municipal Solid Waste in Malaysia. Journal of Advanced Review on Scientific Research 2015;7:1-13.
- Sugni M, Calcaterra E, Adani F. Biostabilization-biodrying of municipal solid waste by inverting air-flow. Bioresour. Technol. 2005;96:1331-1337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.11.016
- He P, Zhao L, Zheng W, Wu D, Shao L. Energy balance of a biodrying process for organic wastes of high moisture content: A review. Dry Technol. 2013;31:132-145. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2012.693143
- Rada E, Ragazzi M, Badea A. MSW Bio-drying: Design criteria from a 10 years research. UPB Sci. Bull., series D. 2012;74: 209-216.
- Tambone F, Scaglia B, Scotti S, Adani F. Effects of biodrying process on municipal solid waste properties. Bioresour. Technol. 2011;102:7443-7450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2011.05.010
- Rada E, Franzinelli A, Taiss M, Ragazzi M, Panaitescu V, Apostol T. Lower heating value dynamics during municipal solid waste bio-drying. Environ. Technol. 2007;28:463-469. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593332808618807
- Psomopoulos C, Themelis N. The combustion of as-received and pre-processed (RDF/SRF) municipal solid wastes as fuel for the power sector. Energ. Sources Part A. 2015;37:1813-1820. https://doi.org/10.1080/15567036.2011.639845
- Rada E, Squazardo L, Ionescu G, Badea A. Economic viability of SRF co-combustion in cement factory. UPB Sci. Bull. Series D. 2014;76:199-206.
- Kim DW, Lee JM, Kim JS. Co-combustion of refuse derived fuel with anthracites in a CFB boiler. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Fluidized Bed Combustion. Springer; 2010. p. 262-270.
- Heering B, Heering M, Heil J. Processing waste to useful fractions with the Herhof dry stabilization technique. Aufbereit.-Tech. 1999;40:11-18.
- Adani F, Baido D, Calcaterra E, Genevini P. The influence of biomass temperature on biostabilization-biodrying of municipal solid waste. Bioresource Technol. 2002;83:173-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(01)00231-0
- Rada E, Ragazzi M, Panaitescu V. MSW bio-drying: An alternative way for energy recovery optimization and landfilling minimization. UPB Sci Bull., series D. 2009;71:113-120.
- Dominczyk A, Krzystek L, Ledakowicz S. Biodrying of organic municipal wastes and residues from the pulp and paper industry. Dry Technol. 2014;32:1297-1303. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2014.901349
- Zawadzka A, Krzystek L, Ledakowicz S. Autothermal drying of organic fraction of municipal solid waste. Environ Prot Eng. 2009;35:123-133.
- Zhang D, Pinjing H, Liming S, Taifeng J, Jingyao H. Biodrying of municipal solid waste with high water content by combined hydrolytic-aerobic technology. J Environ Sci. 2008;20:1534-1540. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(08)62562-0
- He P, Tang J, Zhang D, Zeng Y, Shao L. Release of volatile organic compounds during bio-drying of municipal solid waste. J Environ Sci. 2010;22:752-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(09)60173-X
- Zhang D.-Q, Zhang H, Wu C.-L, Shao L.-M, He P.-J. Evolution of heavy metals in municipal solid waste during bio-drying and implications of their subsequent transfer during combustion. Waste Manage. 2011; 31:1790-1796. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2011.04.006
- Zhang D.-Q, He P.-J, Shao L.-M. Potential gases emissions from the combustion of municipal solid waste by bio-drying. J Hazard Mater. 2009;168:1497-1503. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.03.035
- Negoi R, Ragazzi M, Apostol T, Rada E, Marculescu C. Bio-drying of Romanian municipal solid waste: An analysis of its viability. UPB Sci. Bull. Series C. 2009;71:193-204.
- Wiemer K. Mechanical-biological treatment of residual waste based on the dry stabilate method. Baeza.; 1995.
- Velis C, Longhurst P, Drew G, Smith R, Pollard S. Biodrying for mechanical-biological treatment of wastes: A review of process science and engineering. Bioresource Technol. 2009; 100:2747-2761. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.12.026
- Colomer-Mendoza F, Herrera-Prats L, Robles-Martinez F, Gallardo-Izquierdo A, Pina-Guzman, A. Effect of airflow on biodrying of gardening wastes in reactors. J Environ Sci. 2013;25:865-872. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(12)60123-5
- Cai L, Chen T.-B, Gao D, Zheng G.-D, Liu H.-T, Pan T.-H. Influence of forced air volume on water evaporation during sewage sludge bio-drying. Water Res. 2013;474767-4773. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2013.03.048
- Fabian R.-M, Elizabeth M, Teodoro E.-S, Belem P, Carmen C.-M, Francisco J, Enrique D.-P. Biodrying under greenhouse conditions as pretreatment for horticultural waste. J Environ Prot Ecol. 2012.
- Manaf L, Samah M, Zukki N. Municipal solid waste management in Malaysia: Practices and challenges. Waste Manage. 2009;29:2902-2906. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.07.015
- Koh S, Lim Y. Meeting energy demand in a developing economy without damaging the environment-A case study in Sabah, Malaysia, from technical, environmental and economic perspectives. Energ Policy. 2010;38:4719-4728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2010.04.044
- Oh T, Pang S, Chua S. Energy policy and alternative energy in Malaysia: Issues and challenges for sustainable growth. Renew Sust Energ Rev. 2010;14:1241-1252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2009.12.003
- Shafie S, Mahlia T, Masjuki H, Andriyana A. Current energy usage and sustainable energy in Malaysia: A review. Renew Sust Energ Rev. 2011;15:4370-4377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2011.07.113
- Sadaka S. Partial composting for biodrying organic materials. 2011.
- Finstein M, Hogan J. Integration of composting process microbiology, facility structure and decision-making. Science and Engineering of Composting. 1993. p. 1-23.
- A Study on Combustion Characteristics of the Bio-drying SRF in 5 Ton/day Scale Combustion Boiler vol.35, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9786/kswm.2018.35.7.600
- Effect of air temperature and aeration strategy on water removal during sewage sludge composting vol.36, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2017.1409757