- Volume 32 Issue 2
The average life expectancy has been increased, so the proportion of elderly patients that visit to the dental clinic for prosthetic restoration has increased. Elderly patients have various chronic diseases. Recent trends show an increase of osteoporosis in elderly patients, and thus, the number of osteoporosis patients is expected to escalate. Currently, the most widely used drug for osteoporosis is bisphosphonate. However, osteonecrosis of the jaw has been reported as a side effect derived from longterm oral administration or injection treatment of the drug. Surgical dental treatment was the main cause of medication related osteonecrosis of the jaw (MRONJ). As MRONJ is very difficult to cure, it is important to take preventive measures. Surgical operation may be needed for the mouth preparation before prosthetic restoration. For successful treatment, the dentist should have a full understanding of osteoporosis and show a continued interest toward this disease for careful management.
- Statistics Korea. 2015 Statistics on the aged. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&bSeq=&aSeq=348565&pageNo=1&rowNum=10&navCount=10&currPg=&sTarget=title&sTxt (updated 2016 Mar 10).
- Kim I, Ki H, Lee W, Kim H, Park JB. The effect of systemically administrated bisphosphonates on bony healing after tooth extraction and osseointegration of dental implants in the rabbit maxilla. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2013;28:1194-200. https://doi.org/10.11607/jomi.2685
- Marx RE. Pamidronate (Aredia) and zoledronate (Zometa) induced avascular necrosis of the jaws: a growing epidemic. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003;61: 1115-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(03)00720-1
- Taylor KH, Middlefell LS, Mizen KD. Osteonecrosis of the jaws induced by anti-RANK ligand therapy. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;48:221-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2009.08.030
- Kim KM, Rhee Y, Kwon YD, Kwon TG, Lee JK, Kim DY. Medication related osteonecrosis of the jaw: 2015 position statement of the Korean society for bone and mineral research and the Korean Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. J Bone Metab 2015;22:151-65. https://doi.org/10.11005/jbm.2015.22.4.151
- Cosman F, de Beur SJ, LeBoff MS, Lewiecki EM, Tanner B, Randall S, Lindsay R; National Osteoporosis Foundation. Clinician's guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 2014;25:2359-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-014-2794-2
- Korean society for bone and mineral research. Physician's guide for diagnosis & treatment of osteoporosis 2015. Available from: http://www.ksbmr.org/journal/index4.php (updated 2016 Mar 10).
- Hadjidakis DJ, Androulakis II. Bone remodeling. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2006;1092:385-96. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1365.035
- Hadji P. The evolution of selective estrogen receptor modulators in osteoporosis therapy. Climacteric 2012;15:513-23. https://doi.org/10.3109/13697137.2012.688079
- Munoz-Torres M, Alonso G, Raya MP. Calcitonin therapy in osteoporosis. Treat Endocrinol 2004;3:117-32. https://doi.org/10.2165/00024677-200403020-00006
- Whitaker M, Guo J, Kehoe T, Benson G. Bisphosphonates for osteoporosis-where do we go from here? N Engl J Med 2012;366:2048-51. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1202619
- Ponnapakkam T, Katikaneni R, Sakon J, Stratford R, Gensure RC. Treating osteoporosis by targeting parathyroid hormone to bone. Drug Discov Today 2014;19:204-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drudis.2013.07.015
- Cummings SR, San Martin J, McClung MR, Siris ES, Eastell R, Reid IR, Delmas P, Zoog HB, Austin M, Wang A, Kutilek S, Adami S, Zanchetta J, Libanati C, Siddhanti S, Christiansen C; FREEDOM Trial. Denosumab for prevention of fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2009;361:756-65. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0809493
- Park HM. Current use of drugs for osteoporosis in Korea. Korean J Obstet Gynecol 2010;53:152-9. https://doi.org/10.5468/kjog.2010.53.2.152
- Health insurance review & assessment service. A research of medical care utilization and drug prescribing pattern for osteoporosis. Available from: http://dlps.nanet.go.kr/DlibViewer.do?cn=MONO1201021608&sysid=nhn (updated 2016 Mar 10).
- Ruggiero SL, Dodson TB, Fantasia J, Goodday R, Aghaloo T, Mehrotra B, O'Ryan F; American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. American association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons position paper on medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw-2014 update. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014;72:1938-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2014.04.031
- Marx RE, Sawatari Y, Fortin M, Broumand V. Bisphosphonate-induced exposed bone (osteonecrosis/ osteopetrosis) of the jaws: risk factors, recognition, prevention, and treatment. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2005;63:1567-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2005.07.010
- Lo JC, O'Ryan FS, Gordon NP, Yang J, Hui RL, Martin D, Hutchinson M, Lathon PV, Sanchez G, Silver P, Chandra M, McCloskey CA, Staffa JA, Willy M, Selby JV, Go AS; Prevalence of osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients with oral bisphosphonate exposure. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;68:243-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2009.03.050
- Marx RE, Cillo JE Jr, Ulloa JJ. Oral bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis: risk factors, prediction of risk using serum CTX testing, prevention, and treatment. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007;65:2397-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2007.08.003
- Kim JW, Kong KA, Kim SJ, Choi SK, Cha IH, Kim MR. Prospective biomarker evaluation in patients with osteonecrosis of the jaw who received bisphosphonates. Bone 2013;57:201-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2013.08.005
- Saad F, Brown JE, Van Poznak C, Ibrahim T, Stemmer SM, Stopeck AT, Diel IJ, Takahashi S, Shore N, Henry DH, Barrios CH, Facon T, Senecal F, Fizazi K, Zhou L, Daniels A, Carriere P, Dansey R. Incidence, risk factors, and outcomes of osteonecrosis of the jaw: integrated analysis from three blinded active-controlled phase III trials in cancer patients with bone metastases. Ann Oncol 2012;23:1341-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr435
- Khan AA, Morrison A, Hanley DA, Felsenberg D, McCauley LK, O'Ryan F, Reid IR, Ruggiero SL, Taguchi A, Tetradis S, Watts NB, Brandi ML, Peters E, Guise T, Eastell R, Cheung AM, Morin SN, Masri B, Cooper C, Morgan SL, Obermayer-Pietsch B, Langdahl BL, Al Dabagh R, Davison KS, Kendler DL, Sandor GK, Josse RG, Bhandari M, El Rabbany M, Pierroz DD, Sulimani R, Saunders DP, Brown JP, Compston J; International task force on osteonecrosis of the jaw. Diagnosis and management of osteonecrosis of the jaw: a systematic review and international consensus. J Bone Miner Res 2015;30:3-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.2405
- Kim I, Ki H, Lee W, Kim H, Park JB. The effect of systemically administered bisphosphonates on bony healing after tooth extraction and osseointegration of dental implants in the rabbit maxilla. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2013;28:1194-200. https://doi.org/10.11607/jomi.2685
- Kumar SK, Gorur A, Schaudinn C, Shuler CF, Costerton JW, Sedghizadeh PP. The role of microbial biofilms in osteonecrosis of the jaw associated with bisphosphonate therapy. Curr Osteoporos Rep 2010;8:40-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11914-010-0008-1
Supported by : 원광대학교