- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A study of various factors related to satisfaction of complete denture wearers
총의치 장착자의 의치 만족도와 관련된 요인에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.04.24
- Accepted : 2016.06.13
- Published : 2016.06.30
Purpose: The aim of this study was to evaluate correlations between denture satisfaction and various factors related to patients' and wearing dentures. Materials and Methods: Total 43 edentulous patients were recalled and they were wearing complete dentures fabricated more than one year ago. For patients' subjective assessment, the questionnaire based on the various literatures was developed and applied to patients for data acquisition. In addition, correlations were evaluated between subjective assessment and denture satisfaction score. For statistical analysis, Spearman correlation coefficient, multiple regression analysis, Mann-whitney U test and Kruskal-Wallis test were used to found out what the most considerable factors to denture satisfaction score (P < 0.05). Results: Denture satisfaction score of maxilla was higher than mandible (P < 0.05). In functional aspects, maxillary denture were received a favorable evaluation. Especially fit and pain causing were highly correlated to satisfaction. Gender, age, using period, visiting times after manufacturing denture were unrelated to satisfaction. But previous experience was related to denture satisfaction. Conclusion: Denture satisfaction was determined by a combination of various factors related to patients.
complete denture;denture satisfaction;questionnaire
- Jeganathan S, Payne JA. Common faults in complete dentures: a review. Quintessence Int 1993;24:483-7.
- Berg E. Acceptance of full dentures. Int Dent J 1993;43:299-306.
- Carlsson GE, Otterland A, Wennström A, Odont D. Patient factors in appreciation of complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1967;17:322-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(67)90002-9
- Baer ML, Elias SA, Reynolds MA. The use of psychological measures in predicting patient satisfaction with complete dentures. Int J Prosthodont 1992;5:221-6.
- Bergman B, Carlsson GE. Review of 54 complete denture wearers. Patients' opinions 1 year after treatment. Acta Odontol Scand 1972;30:399-414. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016357209002493
- Smith M. Measurement of personality traits and their relation to patient satisfaction with complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1976;35:492-503. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(76)90043-3
- Guckes AD, Smith DE, Swoope CC. Counseling and related factors influencing satisfaction with dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1978;39:259-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(78)80092-4
- Yoshizumi DT. An evaluation of factors pertinent to the success of complete denture service. J Prosthet Dent 1964;14:866-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(64)90015-0
- Kimoto S, Kimoto K, Kitamura A, Saita M, Iijima M, Kawai Y. Effect of dentist's clinical experience on treatment satisfaction of a complete denture. J Oral Rehabil 2013;40:940-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/joor.12108
- Carlsson GE. Facts and fallacies: an evidence base for complete dentures. Dent Update 2006;33:134-6, 138-40, 142. https://doi.org/10.12968/denu.2006.33.3.134
- Bergman B, Carlsson GE. Clinical long-term study of complete denture wearers. J Prosthet Dent 1985;53:56-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(85)90066-6
- Vervoorn JM, Duinkerke AS, Luteijn F, van de Poel AC. Assessment of denture satisfaction. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1988;16:364-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1988.tb00583.x
- de Baat C, van Aken AA, Mulder J, Kalk W. "Prosthetic condition" and patients' judgment of complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1997;78:472-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(97)70062-3
- Haraldson T, Karlsson U, Carlson GE. Bite force and oral function in complete denture wearers. J Oral Rehabil 1979;6:41-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1979.tb00403.x
- Berg E. The influence of some anamnestic, demographic, and clinical variables on patient acceptance of new complete dentures. Acta Odontol Scand 1984;42:119-27. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358409035249
- Seifert I, Langer A, Michmann J. Evaluation of psychologic factors in geriatric denture patients. J Prosthet Dent 1962;3:516-23.
- Slagter AP, Olthoff LW, Bosman F, Steen WH. Masticatory ability, denture quality, and oral conditions in edentulous subjects. J Prosthet Dent 1992; 68:299-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(92)90334-7
- Fenlon MR, Sherriff M. Investigation of new complete denture quality and patients' satisfaction with and use of dentures after two years. J Dent 2004;32:327-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2004.01.007
- van Waas MA. The influence of psychologic factors on patient satisfaction with complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1990;63:545-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(90)90073-L
- Smith PW, McCord JF. What do patients expect from complete dentures? J Dent 2004;32:3-7.
- Kapur KK. A clinical evaluation of denture adhesives. J Prosthet Dent 1967;18:550-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(67)90221-1
- Dragobetskii MK. The mechanisms of the adaptation of the neuromuscular apparatus to removable dentures (a review). Stomatologiia (Mosk) 1992;2:88-90.
- Leles CR, Compagnoni MA, de Souza RF, Barbosa DB. Kinesiographic study of mandibular movements during functional adaptation to complete dentures. J Appl Oral Sci 2003;11:311-8. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572003000400007
- Silverman S, Silverman SI, Silverman B, Garfinkel L. Self-image and its relation to denture acceptance. J Prosthet Dent 1976;35:131-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(76)90272-9
- Barenthin I. Dental health status and dental satisfaction. Int J Epidemiol 1977;6:73-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/6.1.73
- Müller F, Wahl G, Fuhr K. Age-related satisfaction with complete dentures, desire for improvement and attitudes to implant treatment. Gerodontology 1994;11:7-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.1994.tb00096.x
- Weinstein M, Schuchman J, Lieberman J, Rosen P. Age and denture experience as determinants in patient denture satisfaction. J Prosthet Dent 1988;59: 327-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(88)90184-9
- Müller F, Hasse Sander I. Experimental studies of adaptation to complete dentures related to ageing. Gerodontology 1993;10:23-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.1993.tb00075.x
- Tallgren A. The continuing reduction of the residual alveolar ridges in complete denture wearers: a mixed-longitudinal study covering 25 years. J Prosthet Dent 1972;27:120-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(72)90188-6
- Michman J, Langer A. Clinical and electromyographic observations during adjustment to complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1968;19:252-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(68)90086-3
- Jonkman RE, van Waas MA, van't Hof MA, Kalk W. An analysis of satisfaction with complete immediate (over) dentures. J Dent 1997;25:107-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(96)00012-7