- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Management for traumatic neuropathy after dental treatment
치과 시술 후 나타난 신경손상의 관리
- Received : 2016.04.28
- Accepted : 2016.06.13
- Published : 2016.06.30
Whereas a somatic pain notifies tissue damage, a neuropathic pain presents disorder of the nerve itself. The causes of neuropathic pains are trauma, infection, chronic irritation by adjacent tissue and so on. The iatrogenic trauma or infection also causes traumatic neuropathy, which may exert a bad influence on doctor-patient relationship. Some of related dental treatments are implantation (directly or indirectly through heating), root canal treatment, teeth extraction, block anesthesia, mandibular surgery. If inappropriate management is performed after nerve trauma, there will be many chances to develop chronic neuropathy for the patient. It is important that the sign of nerve trauma have to be caught by the practitioner as soon as possible and treated properly.
traumatic neuropathy;Iatrogenic trauma
- Merskey HE. Classification of chronic pain: descriptions of chronic pain syndromes and definitions of pain terms. Prepared by the International Association for the Study of Pain, Subcommittee on Taxonomy. Pain Suppl 1986;3:S1-226.
- Sunderland S. A classification of peripheral nerve injuries producing loss of function. Brain 1951;74:491-516. https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/74.4.491
- Seddon HJ. Three types of nerve injury. Brain 1943;66:247-88.
- Juodzbalys G, Wang HL, Sabalys G. Injury of the inferior alveolar nerve during implant placement: a literature review. J Oral Maxillofac Res 2011;2:e1.
- Abarca M, van Steenberghe D, Malevez C, De Ridder J, Jacobs R. Neurosensory disturbances after immediate loading of implants in the anterior mandible: an initial questionnaire approach followed by a psychophysical assessment. Clin Oral Investig 2006;10:269-77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-006-0065-0
- Benoliel R, Sharav Y. Chronic orofacial pain. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2010;14:33-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11916-009-0085-y
- Yoon JA, Kang JK, Ahn HJ, Choi JH, Kim CY. A study on types and counterplans of medical accident experienced by dentists in Seoul(2004). J Oral Med Pain 2005;30:163-200.
- Han SR, Yeo SP, Lee MK, Bae YC, Ahn DK. Early dexamethasone relieves trigeminal neuropathic pain. 2010;89:915-20. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034510374056
- Alves FR, Coutinho MS, Goncalves LS. Endodontic-related facial paresthesia: systematic review. J Can Dent Assoc 2014;80:e13.
- Libersa P, Savignat M, Tonnel A. Neurosensory disturbances of the inferior alveolar nerve: a retrospective study of complaints in a 10-year period. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007;65:1486-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2007.03.023
- Penarrocha Diago M, Boronat Lopez A, Lamas Pelayo J. Update in dental implant periapical surgery. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2006;11:E429-32.
- Galloway EB 3rd, Jensen RL, Dailey AT, Thompson BG, Shelton C. Role of topical steroids in reducing dysfunction after nerve injury. Laryngoscope 2000;110:1907-10. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005537-200011000-00026
- Jancso G, Kiraly E, Jancso-Gabor A. Pharmacologically induced selective degeneration of chemosensitive primary sensory neurones. Nature 1977;270:741-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/270741a0
- Kohnelein KE, Ocker K, Seitz HD. Experimental rails to inhibit neuroma formation. Chir Plast (Berl) 1980;5:207-11.
Supported by : 부산대학교치과병원