- Volume 49 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Risk Analyses from Eruption History and Eruptive Volumes of the Volcanic Rocks in Ulleung Island, East Sea
울릉도 화산암류의 분화이력과 분출량에 따른 위험도 분석
Hwang, Sang Koo;Jo, In Hwa
- Received : 2016.05.17
- Accepted : 2016.06.16
- Published : 2016.06.28
We estimate the eruption history and magmatic eruptive volumes of each rock units to evaluate the volcanic eruption scale and volcanic hazard of the Ulleung Island. Especially, Maljandeung Tuff represents about 19~5.6 ka B.P. from
eruption history;age dating;active volcano;magmatic eruptive volume;volcanic explosivity index;volcanic hazard
- Arai, F., Oba, T., Kitazato, H., Horibe, Y. and Machida, H. (1981) Late Quaternary tephrochronology and paleooceanography of the sediments of the Japan Sea, The Quaternary Research, v.20, p.209-230. https://doi.org/10.4116/jaqua.20.209
- Cas, R.A.F. and Wright, J.V. (1987) Volcanic Successions, Allen and Unwin, London, 528p.
- Chun, J.H., Cheong, D.K., Han, S.J., Hug, S. and Yoo, H.S. (2006) Tephrography and paleoenvironmentals of marine core in the Kita-Yamato Trough, East Sea(Japan Sea). Economic and Environmental Geology, v.39, p.83-93 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Decker, R.W. and Decker, B. (1991) Mountains of fire: the nature of volcanoes. Cambridge University press. New York, 199p.
- Harumoto, A. (1970) Volcanic rocks and associated rocks of Utsuryoto island. Nippon Printing and Publishing Co., 39p.
- Hwang, S.K., Hwang, J.H. and Kwon, C.W. (2012) Geological report of the Ulleung Sheet. Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, 84p.
- Hwang, S.K., Kim, Y.B. and Hwang, J.H. (2014) Rock series and petrochemical classification of the volcanic rocks in Ulleung Island. Journal of Geological Society of Korea, v.50, p.61-70 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Im, J.H., Shim, S.H., Choo, C.O., Jang, Y.D. and Lee, J.S. (2012) Volcanological and paleoenvironmental implications of charcols of the Nari Formation in Nari Caldera, Ulleung Island, Korea. Geosciences Journal, v.16, p.105-114. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-012-0020-9
- Kereszturi, G., Nemeth, K., Cronin, S.J., Agustin-Flores, J., Smith, I. and Lindsay, J. (2013) A model for calculating eruptive volumes for monogenetic volcanoes Implication for the Quaternary Auckland Volcanic Field, New Zealand, Jounal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, v.266, p.16-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2013.09.003
- Kim, G.B., Cronin, S.J., Yoon, W.S. and Sohn, Y.K. (2014) Post 19 ka B.P. eruptive history of Ulleung Island, Korea, inferred from an intra-caldera pyroclastic sequence. Bulletin of Volcanology, v.76, p.802-828. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-014-0802-1
- Kim, K. H., Tanaka, T., Nagao, K. and Jang, S. K. (1999) Nd and Sr isotopes and K-Ar ages of the Ulreungdo alkali volcanic rocks in the East Sea, South Korea, Geochemical Journal, v.33, p.317-341. https://doi.org/10.2343/geochemj.33.317
- Kim, Y.K. (1985a) Petrology of Ulreung volcanic island, Korea-part 1, Geology. Journal of Japanese Association of Mineralogists, Petrologists and Economic Geologists, v.80, p.128-135 (in Japanese with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.2465/ganko1941.80.128
- Kim, Y.K. (1985b) Petrology of Ulreung volcanic island, Korea-part 2, Petrography and bulk chemical composition. Journal of Japanese Association of Mineralogists, Petrologists and Economic Geologists, v.80, p.292-303 (in Japanese with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.2465/ganko1941.80.292
- Kim, Y.K. (1986) Magmatic differentiation in the volcanic rocks from Ulreung Island, Korea. Journal of Japanese Association of Mineralogists, Petrologists and Economic Geologists, v.81, p.165-180 (in Japanese with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.2465/ganko1941.81.165
- Kim, Y.K. and Lee, D.S. (1983) Petrology of alkali volcanic rocks in northern part of Ulrung Island. Journal of Korean Institute of Mining Geology, v.16, p.319-336 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Machida., H. and Arai, F. (1983) Extensive ash falls in and around the Sea of Japan large late Quaternary eruptions, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, v.18, p.151-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-0273(83)90007-0
- Machida, H., Arai, F., Lee, B. S., Moriwaki, H. and Furuta, T. (1984) Late Quaternary tephras in Ulreungdo Island, Korea, Journal of Geography., v.93, p.1-14. https://doi.org/10.5026/jgeography.93.1
- Min, K.D., Kim, O.J., Yun, S., Lee, D.S. and Kim, K.H. (1988) Applicability of plate tectonics to the post-Late Cretaceous igneous activity and mineralization in the southern part of South Korea (II). Journal of Geological Society of Korea, v.24, p.11-40 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Newhall, C.G. and Self, S. (1982) The Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI): An estimate of explosive magnitude for historical volcanism, Journal of Geophysical Research, v.87, p.1231-1238. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC087iC02p01231
- Okuno, M., Shiihara, M., Torii, M., Nakamura, T., Kim, K.H., Domitsu, H., Moriwaki., H. and Oda, M. (2010) AMS radiocarbon dating of Holocene tephra layers on Ulleung Island, South Korea. Radiocarbon, v.52, p.1465-1470. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033822200046555
- Park, M.-H., Kim, I.-S. and Shin, J.-B. (2003) Characteristics of the late Quaternary tephra layers in the East/Japan Sea and their new occurrences in western Ulleung Basin sediments. Marine Geology, v.202, p.135-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-3227(03)00287-1
- Song, Y.-S., Park, K.-H. and Park, M.-E. (1999) Major, rare-earth and trace geochemistry of Ulleungdo volcanic rocks. Journal of Petrological Society of Korea, v.8, p.57-70 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Song, Y.-S., Park, M.-E. and Park, K.-H. (2006) Ages and evolutions of the volcanic rocks from Ulleung-do and Dok-do. Journal of Petrological Society of Korea, v.15, p.72-80 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Won, J.K. and Lee, M.W. (1984) The volcanism and petrology of alkali volcanic rocks, Ulreung Island, Journal of Geological Society of Korea, v.20, p.296-305 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Xu, S., Uto, K. and Kim, Y. K. (1998) K-Ar dating of volcanic rocks from Ulreung Island, Korea, Geochemical Journal, v.32, p.117-123. https://doi.org/10.2343/geochemj.32.117
- Selecting Hazardous Volcanoes that May Cause a Widespread Volcanic Ash Disaster to the Korean Peninsula vol.37, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2016.37.6.346
- Geological heritage of the Ulleungdo·Dokdo National Geopark and its management system vol.52, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14770/jgsk.2016.52.5.739
Supported by : 국민안전처