- Volume 49 Issue 3
Non-conventional resource and alternative energy were researched for predicting oil peak. In this study, one of many non-conventional resources, specifically oil-sands, was investigated due to the increasing interest of oil-sands plant modularization in permaforst areas for reducing the construction periods through modular transportation while limiting local construction workers. Hence, tehcnological trends were analyzed for oil-sand plant modularization. Data used were between 1994 and 2015 for patent analysis while targets included Korea, US, Japan, Europe and Canada. Technology classification system consisted of mining, steam assisted gravity drainage(SAGD), separation/upgrading/tailors ponds, module design/packaging, module transportation and material/maintenance. Result of patent analysis, patent application accounts 89% in US and Canada. The main competitive companies were Shell, Suncor and Exxon-mobil. Unlike other oil developments, oil-sands have a long-term stable production characteristic, hence, it is important to ensure the competitiveness of oil-sands for obtaining a patent in the long run.
oil sand;plant;modularization;patent analysis;technology trend
- Bae, J.-H., Park, J.-K. and Lee, J.-W.(2015) Patents Trend Analysis on Unconventional Oil and Gas Technologies, Econimic and Environmental Geology, v48 n4, p.361-369. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2015.48.4.361
- International Energy Agency(IEA) (2015) World Energy Outlook 2015.
- Kim, G.T., Chung K.Y. and Park J.K. (2014) Recent water treatment technology for unconventional natural resource development, Korean Chemical Engineering Research, v.52, p.154-165. https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2014.52.2.154
- Miller, R.G. and Sorrell S.R. (2014) The future of oil supply, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, v.372
- Nah, D.-B, Kil, S.-C. and Oh, M.-S. (2009) The Global Trends of the Patents for the Ocean Energy, Econimic and Environmental Geology, v.42, n.4, p.377-384.
- Park, K., Han, S.D., Han, H.J., Kang, K.S., Bae, W., Rhee, Y.W.(2009) "A Study on the Trend of Technology for the Treatment Oil from Oilsands by Patent Analysis". Clean Technology, v.15 p.210-223.
- Park, Y.-K., Choi W.-C., Jeng S.-Y., Lee C.-W. (2007) High Value-added Technology of Oil Sand, Korean Chemical Engineering Research, v.45 p.109-116.
- Wiley, (2006) Bitumen and heavy crudes: the energy security problem solved?, Oil and Energy Trends, v.31, p.3-6.
- Yoon, S.M., Park, K., Kim, J.Y., Han, H.J, Kim, T.I., Kang, K.S., Bae, W., Rhee, Y.W. (2011), Korean Chemical Engineering Research, v.49, n.6, p.681-687. https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2011.49.6.681
- Ministry of land, transport and maritime affairs(MLTMA) (2013), Planning of oil-sands plant modular technology.
- Yoo, Y. H. (2013) Long-term promotion direction of plant research projects in ministry of land, infrastructure, and transport, Journal of the KSME, v.53, p.38-43.
- Korean intellectual property office(KIPO), (2015), Patent analysis plans for future growth
Supported by : 국토교통부, 미래창조과학부