- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness of Education Program for Core Fundamental Nursing Skills using Recording Video with Smartphone and Formative Feedback
스마트폰 동영상과 형성적 피드백을 활용한 핵심기본간호술 교육의 효과
- Chae, Yeo-Joo (College of Nursing & Institute of Health Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Ha, Yeong-Mi (Gerontological Health Science Center)
- Received : 2016.03.23
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the effectiveness(knowledge of core fundamental nursing skills, clinical competency, self-efficacy and learning motivation) of education program for core fundamental nursing skills focusing on endotracheal suctioning using recording video with smartphone and formative feedback for nursing school students. Subjects consisted of 54 sophomore nursing students, an experimental group(n=27) and a control group(n=27). The education for core fundamental nursing skills using recording video to smartphone and individual formative feedback was provided to students in an experimental group. The traditional method with self-directed practice for 4 hours was offered to a control group. The education program for core fundamental nursing skills using recording video with smartphone and formative feedback was effective in promoting knowledge of core fundamental nursing skills, clinical competency, self-efficacy and learning motivation. Based on our results, this program can be recommended as an effective educational program for the nursing students to improve their core fundamental nursing skills.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, "The essential clinical resources for nursing academic missions." Washington. DC: Author, 2008.
- R. J. Evans, & G. W. Donnelly, "A model to describe the relationship between knowledge, skill, and judgement in nursing practice." Nursing Forum, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp.150-157, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6198.2006.00053.x
- J. Yoon, G. J. Kim, & M. S. Choi, "The effects of OSCE aplication before clinical practice for nursing students." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 119, No. 2, pp.273-284, 2013.
- J. I. Kim, K. H. Kim, H. J. Paik, K. Y. Song, M. R. Eom, S. Y. Oh, W. S. Lee, O. J. Chang, H. S. Jeon, & D. S. Lee, "Study on the present status of practice of fundamentals of nursing and test for competency of nursing skills." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 17 No. 3, pp.362-370, 2010.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, "Nursing education certification criteria home." Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, 2014.
- D. W. Choi, "Clinical competence according to experiences on the essential of fundamental nursing skills in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.184-191, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.184
- M. S. Yoo, I. Y. Yoo, & Y. J. Son, "The effectiveness of standardized patient managed instruction in teaching foley catheterization skills, communication skills and learning motivation." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp.66-75, 2002.
- I. H. Park, & S. J. Shin, "The effects of video-based peer assisted learning in standardized patients simulation: pre and post operative care." Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp.73-82, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.1.73
- H. J. Chae, "The needs and effects of convergence-based simulation practice for obstrial nursing." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp.377-386, 2015.
- E. H. Park, H. S. Kim, J. O. Kim, "The effect of convergence action learning techniques in simulation class." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp.241-248, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.241
- M. Ross, G. Carrol, J. Knight, & M. Chamberlain, "Using OSCE to mearsure clinical skills performance in nursing." Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 13, pp. 45-56, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1988.tb01390.x
- Y. I. Han, "Core nursing simulation application." pp.17-18, Soomoonsa, 2015.
- S. N. Yoon, S. Y. Kim, Y. S. Kim, C. M. Kim, & J. H. Park, "Community health education methods: a practical guide." pp.160-167, Soomoonsa, 2010.
- A. Pulman, J. Scammell, & M. Martin, "Enabling interprofessional education: The role of technology to enhance learning." Nurse Education Today, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp.232-239, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2008.08.012
- J. Y. Chang, "Convergence of education and information & communication technology: A study on the communication characteristics of SNS affecting relationship development between proffessor and student." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp.213-219, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.213
- D. W. Han, & M. C. Kang, "An exploratory study of applying SNS to lecture and professor trust." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp.531-539, 2014.
- S. Y. Pi, "Educational utilization of smart devices in the convergence education era." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp.29-37, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.6.29
- E. Y. Cheon, "The effects of video-aided peer feedback on enhancing nursing students' understanding of foley catheterization." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp.43-51, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.43
- S. G. Lee, "Effects of self-directed feedback practice using smartphone videos on basic nursing skills, confidence in performance and learning satisfaction." Yonsei University, Master's thesis, 2015.
- V. J. Shute, "Focus on formative feedback, Review of Educational Research." Vol. 78, No. 1, pp.153-189, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654307313795
- J. Ende, "Feedback in clinical medical education." The Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 250, No. 6, pp.777-781, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1983.03340060055026
- D. A. Cameron, V. I. Binnie, A. Sherriff, & V. Bissel, "Peer assisted learning: teaching dental skills and enhancing graduate attributes." British Dental Journal, Vol. 219, pp.267-272, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2015.722
- L. Ahlborg, M. Weurlander, L. Hedman, H. Nisel, P. G. Lindqvist, L. F. Tsai, & L. Enochsson, "Individualized feedback during simulated laparoscopic training: a mixed methods study." International Journal of Medical Education, Vol. 6, pp.93-100, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5116/ijme.55a2.218b
- M. Sherer, J. E. Maddux, B. Mercandante, & S. Prentice-Dunn, B. Jacobs, & R. W. Rogers, "The self-efficacy scale: construction and validation." Psychological Report, Vol. 51, pp.663-671, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19220.127.116.113
- A. S. Jung, "A study on the Relations between a health promoting behaviors and self-efficacy in general hospital nurse." Hanyang University, Master's thesis, 2007.
- J. M. Keller, "Motivation design of instruction." In C.M. Reigeluth(Ed.), Instructional design theories and models : An overview of their current status. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlabum Association, 1994.
- S. Y. Hwang, "Effects of problem-based learning on the knowledge achievement, critical thinking ability, attitude and motivation toward learning of nursing students." Chonnam national University, Ph.D. dissertation, 2003.
- B. J. Mason, & R, Bruning, "Providing feedback in computer-based instruction: What the research tells us. Center for Instructional Innovation." University of Nebraska-Lincoln:14. Retrieved June 1, 2006, from http://dwb.unl.edu/Edit/MB/Mason, 2001.
- J. S. Park, & H. R. Jeon, "The effect of basic life support education using a standardized basic life support video program in nurses' cardiopulmonary resuscitation knowledge, attitude and performance." Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.301-311, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.301
- S. S. Lee, "Effects of self-directed fundamental nursing practice using smartphone videos on self-efficacy, practice satisfaction, and practice ability." Catholic University, Master's thesis, 2015.
- S. R. Song, "The effect of self-evaluation method using video recording on competency in nursing skills, self-directed learning ability, problem solving ability, and academic self-efficacy." Sungshin Women's University, Master's thesis, 2013.
- M. Y. Jho, "Effects of core fundamental nursing skills education on self-efficacy, clinical competence and practice satisfaction in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp.292-301, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.292
- S. Y. Yun, & M. S. Kim, "A study on the relevance among self efficacy, major satisfaction, nursing ethics values in nursing students before clinical practice." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.363-372, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.2.363
- Y. H. Kim, "Effects of utilizing animation prior to fundamental nursing practice on learning motivation self-directedness in student nurses." Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp.240-248, 2010.
- The Effect of Smartphone Video Educational Program on Educational Satisfaction of Patients in Rehabilitation Units at a University Hospital vol.23, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14371/QIH.2017.23.1.43