- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Converged Study of Influencing Factors on Occupational Stress in Workers
직장인의 직무스트레스 영향요인에 대한 융합연구
- Lee, Eun Kyung (College of Nursing, The Research Institute of Nursing Science, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Park, Jin-Hwa (College of Nursing, The Research Institute of Nursing Science, Catholic University of Daegu)
- Received : 2016.03.14
- Accepted : 2016.04.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
The purpose of this converged study was to examine the influencing factors on occupational stress in Korean workers. Data were collected with a convenience sample of 207 male workers living in Jeollanam-do region. The structured questionnaires measured the general and job-related factors, social support, and occupational stress. The results were as follows. (1) About half of participants had higher scores in occupational stress. (2) The annual income, supervisors' support, and coworkers' support were statistically significant variables predicting the level of occupational stress among Korean workers, accounting for 36% of the variability. The results of the study indicate that it is necessary to establish strategic workforce planning for workers to reduce occupational stress.
- I. S. Ryu, D. S. Jeong, I. A. Kim, J. H. Roh, J. U. Won, "Association between job stress, psychosocial well-being and presenteeism, absenteeism : Focusing on railroad workers", Korean Journal of Occupational And Environmental Medicine, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 263-273, 2012.
- Y. C. Cho, I. S. Kwon, N. K. Bae, J. Y. Park, "Effects of the psychosocial health status of job stress and job-related characteristics among clercial public officers using the structural equation model," The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No, 6. pp. 2169-2177, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.6.2169
- A. Blanch, A. Aluja, Social support (family and supervisor), work-family conflict, and burnout: Sex differences, Human Relations, Vol. 65, No. 7, pp. 811-833, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726712440471
- Y. J. Jo, Y. C. Cho, “Relationship between job stress and psychosocial stress among clercial public officers,” Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 2598-2606, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.6.2598
- S. P. Park, I. S. Kwon, Y. C. Cho, “Job stress and psychosocial factors and its association with self perceived fatigue among white collar male workers,” The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 301-311, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.301
- M. Nagami, A. Tsutsumi, M. Tsuchiya, K. Morimoto, "Job control and coworker support improve employee job performance," Industrial Health, Vol. 48, No. 6, 845-851, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.MS1162
- H. H. Yi, Y. J. Yi. "Influence of leader-member exchange quality of head nurses and clinical nurses on organizational commitment and job satisfaction in clinical nurses," Journal of Korean Academic Nursing Administration, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 195-205, 2014. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.195
- I. S. Kwon, Y. K. Choi, "A study on the antecedents of job engagement and psychological conditions as the mediators," Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 113-133, 2011,
- D. Y. Song, S. J. Jang, E. J. Kim, “An analysis of factors affecting work-family conflict of Korean working people: Focusing the effect of workplace support and family support,” Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 27-52, 2010.
- A study of hospital nurses's intention to remain employed. Seoul: Korean Hospital Nurses Association. Hospital Nurses Association, 2014.
- I. S. Kwon, Y. K. Choi, “A study on the antecedents of job engagement and psychological conditions as the mediators,” Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 113-133, 2011.
- H. S. Kim, "Occupational stress of medical administrative employees in regional hospitals," The Korean Journal of Stress Research. Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 229-238, 2013.
- R. L. Kahn, P. Byosiere. Stress in organizations. In Dunnette, M. D. & L. M. Hough (Eds.). Handbook of Industrial & Organizational Psychology. Vol 3. Palo Alto. CA: Consulting Psychologists Press: pp. 571-650, 1992.
- J. K. Tak, “Comparisons of job stressors and job stress among the white collar workers, the blue collar workers, and the professional research workers,” The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 125-141, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105302007002397
- J. W. Han, “The effects of personality and emotional labor stress on job satisfaction,” Journal of Secretarial studies, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 145-167, 2006.
- N. Weinstein, K. W. Brown, R. M. Ryan, “A multi-method examination of the effects of mindfulness on stress attribution, coping, and emotional well-being,” Journal of Research in Personality, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 374-385, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2008.12.008
- N. S. Park, "Mindfulness mediator effects in stress, burnout, resistance to organizational change and job satisfaction of public enterprise office employees," Health and Social Science. Vol. 33, pp. 109-134. 2013.
- C. Schaefer, J. C. Coyne, R. S. Lazarus, "The Health-Related Functions of Social Support," Journal of Behavioral Medicine, Vol. 4, pp. 381-406, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00846149
- H. Shin, “How empowerment and social support affect occupational stress of firefighters,” Transactions of Korean institute of fire science and engineering, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 139-146, 2015.
- J. A. Park, C. Y. Jyung, “The relationship among career resilience, job stressors, self-esteem, self-efficacy, and social support in the organization of office workers in large corporations,” The Journal of Career Education Research, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 59-80, 2012.
- J. H. Kim, Y. M. Lee, H. Y. Joung, H. S. Choo, S. J. Won, S. Y. Kwon, H. J. Bae, H. K. Ahn, E. M. Kim, H. J. Jang. "Effects of Emotional Labor, Emotional Intelligence and Social Support on Job Stress in Clinical Nurses," Journal of Korean Academic Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 157-167, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.157
- S. J. Chang, S. B. Koh, D. Kang, S. A. Kim, M. G. Kang, C. G. Lee, et al, “Development an occupational stress scale for Korean employees,” Korean Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 297-317, 2005.
- R. Karasek, C. Brisson, N. Kawakami, I. Houtman, P. Bongers, B. Amick, “The job content questionnaire (JCO): An instrument for internationally comparative assessments of psychosocial job characteristics,” Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 322-355, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89188.8.131.522
- G. D. Zimet, N. W. Dahlem, S. G. Zimet, G. K. Farley, "The multidimensional scale of perceived social support," Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol. 52, pp. 30-41, 1998.
- Y. S. Kim, "The effect on employment of overtime restriction," KLSI, Vol. 12, pp. 1-9, 2015.
- Y. S. Kim, "Working Korea 2016," Retrieved, http://www.klsi.org, 2015.
- C. Lee, J. Park, G. Kim, “The effects of stress, quality of life and family relationship of smokers and drinkers on tobacco and alcohol use: focusing on the mediating effects of self-rated health,” Korean Public Health Research, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 29-43, 2011.
- N. H. Rod, M. Gronbæk, P. Schnohr, E. Prescott, T. S. Kristensen, “Perceived stress as a risk factor for changes in health behavior and cardiac risk profile,” Journal of Internal Medicine, Vol. 266, No. 5, pp. 467-475, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2009.02124.x
- J. Kim, H. R. Kim, S. E. Kim, S. M. Jang, J. W. Koo, “Influence of job stress change on body mass index (BMI) and waist circumference among male white-collar workers : A two-year longitudinal study,” Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 180-188, 2012.
- Y. Chida, A. Steptoe, "Greater cardiovascular responses to laboratory mental stress are associated with poor subsequent cardiovascular risk status: A meta-analysis of prospective evidence,," Hypertension, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 1026-1032, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.109.146621