- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Convergence study on the antioxidant effect of crude extracts of Nelumbo nucifera Gaertner
연밥 조추출물의 항산화 효능에 관한 융합 연구
- Kim, Hyun-Jin (Department of Oral Anatomy, School of Dentistry, Wonkwang University, Institute of Biomaterial.Implant, Wonkwang University)
- 김현진 (원광대학교 치과대학 구강해부학교실, 원광대학교 생체매식연구소)
- Received : 2016.04.06
- Accepted : 2016.05.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
The present study was performed to evaluate the antioxidant effect of crude extracts of Nelumbo nucifera Gaertner. Antioxidant effect was analysed by DPPH-radical scavenging activity, lipid peroxidation and superoxide dismutase (SOD)-like activity. DPPH-radical scavenging activity and SOD-like activity of linoleic acid, glutamic acid, ethyl acetate crude extract and ethyl alcohol crude extract of Nelumbo nucifera Gaertner were dose-dependently increased. However, lipid peroxidation of glutamic acid, linoleic acid, ethyl acetate crude extract and ethyl alcohol crude extract of Nelumbo nucifera Gaertner were time-dependently decreased. The data suggests that crude extracts of Nelumbo nucifera Gaertner may be a putative antioxidant substance and apply the development of medicine through convergence study.
- P. Albertazzi, S. A. Steel, E. Clifford, M. Bottazzi, “Attitudes towards and use of dietary supplementation in a sample of postmenopausal women,” Climacteric, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 374-382, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/cmt.5.4.374.382
- C. R. Evance, B. Halliwell, G.G. Lunt, "Free radicals and oxidative stress ; environment, drugs and food additives," Portland Press, pp. 25-55, 1995.
- E. Y. Sozmen, T. Tanyakin, T. Onat, F. Kufay, S. Erlacin, “Ethanol-induced oxidative stress and membrane injury in rat erythrocytes,” Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem, Vol. 32, No. 10, pp. 741-744, 1994.
- C. E. Cross, B. Halliwell, E. T. Borish, W. A. Pryor, B. N. Ames, R. L. Saul, J. M. McCord, D. Harman, “Oxygen radicals and human disease,” Ann Intern Med, Vol. 107, No. 4, pp. 526-545, 1987. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-107-4-526
- R. Adelman, R. L. Saul, B. N. Ames, “Oxidative damage to DNA: relation to species metabolic rate and life span,” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, Vol. 85, No. 8, pp. 2706-2708, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.85.8.2706
- A. L. Branen, “Toxicological and biochemistry of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene,” J Am Oil Chem Soc, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 59-63, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02901825
- K. Yamamoto, E. Niki, “Interaction of alpha-tocopherol with iron: antioxidant and prooxidant effects of alpha-tocopherol in the oxidation of lipids in aqueous dispersions in the presence of iron,” Biochim Biophys Acta, Vol. 958, No. 1, pp. 19-23, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2760(88)90241-X
- Y. S. Kim, S. S. Jeon, S. T. Jung, "Effect of lotus powder on the baking quality of white bread," Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 413-425, 2002
- H. C. Yang, Y. H. Kim, T. K. Lee, Y. S. Cha, “Physicochemical properties of lotus root(Nelumbo nucifera G.) starch,” J Korean Agri Chem Soc, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 239-244, 1985.
- C. S. Yuk "Coloured midicinal plants of Korea," Academy Book Co., Seoul, Korea, p. 217, 1990.
- Dictionary of Chinese Crude Drugs. Chiang Su New Medical College, Zhong-Yao-Da-Ci-Dian, Shanghai Sci-entific Publisher, Shanghai, China, p. 1806, 1977.
- N. Shoji, A. Umeyama, N. Saito, A. Iuchi, T. Takemoto, Y. Ohizumi, “Asimilobine and lirinidine, Serotonergic Receptor An-tagonists, from Nelumbo nucifera,” J Natl Prod, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 773-774, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1021/np50052a044
- M. S. Blois, "Antioxidant determination by the use a stable free radical"Nature, Vol. 26, pp. 199-263, 1958.
- S. Marklund, G. Marklund, “Involvement of superoxide anion radical in the oxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase,” Eur J Biochem, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 469-474, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1974.tb03714.x
- Y. Masuda, H. Kikuzaki, M. Hisamoto, N. Nakatani, “Antioxidant properties of gingerol related compounds from ginger,” Biofactors, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 293-296, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/biof.552210157
- S. H. Baek, H. J. Oh, D. S. Han, “Cytotoxicity and Antioxidant Effects of Omega-6 Unsaturated Fatty Acid,” J Kor Soc B&A, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 191-203, 2009.
- D. S. Han, H. G. Choi, J. I. Kang, H. J. Choi, S. H. Back, “Growth Inhibitory Effects of Omega-3 Unsaturated Fatty Acid against Cancer Cell Lines,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 264-273, 2008.
- D. S. Han, S. W. Chun, H. J. Kim, "Study on the Antioxidant and Anticancer Effects of Extract of Stamens of Nelumbo nucifera and Kaempferol," The Korea Association of Herbology, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 23-33. 2009.