- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Convergence Study on Anxiety, Knowledge, Infection Possibility, Preventive Possibility and Preventive Behavior Level of MERS in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 메르스에 대한 불안, 지식, 감염가능성, 감염예방가능성, 감염예방행위 이행 수준의 융합적 연구
- Kim, Og Son (Department of Nursing Science, Korea Christian University) ;
- Oh, Jin Hwan (Department of Nursing Science, Suwon Science College) ;
- Lee, kyung Hye (Department of Nursing Science, Suwon Science College)
- Received : 2016.04.04
- Accepted : 2016.05.30
- Published : 2016.06.30
The purpose of this study was to provide basic materials on establishing convergence oriented respiratory infection management system in nursing students attending clinical training by analyzing anxiety, knowledge, possibility of infection, possibility of prevention, and compliance level of preventive behavior. Data were collected from 222 nursing students experienced clinical practice from June 15th to 30th in 2015 using questionnaire. Characteristics relative to variables were measured, and analyzed using SPSS 18.0 program. The results are as follows. The anxiety was 42.70(max 80 points), but possibility of infection was 22.55(max 100 points). Also, knowledge(11.73 out of 16 points), possibility of prevention(7.37 out of 10 points), and compliance level of preventive behavior(34.55 out of maximum 48 points) were slightly above average. The influencing factors on compliance of preventive behavior were anxiety and possibility of prevention. It is needed to lead convergence oriented approach on enhancing compliance of preventive behavior through providing information and educating possibility of prevention during MERS outbreak.
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome;Anxiety;Knowledge;Infection;Prevention;Convergence
- Dae. Kyu. Oh.. A Priority Setting for Emerging and Reemerging Infectious Disease Control using Delphi Technique in Korea. Ph.D. dissertation, Yonsei University. 2001.
- Kim, J.H., Korea Legislation Research Institute. A Study on Legislation Modification to Develop National Abilities to Cope with Epidemics. Research Report 11-07. pp. 4, 2011.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Report of basic control and prevention plan for infectious disease(2013-2017)," http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=289245&page=1.
- Ministry of Education ․Ministry of Health & Welfare. MERS school respond manual(2-1st ed). http://www.moe.go.kr/newsearch/search.jsp.
- World Health Organization. Clinical management of severe acute respiratory infection when Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus(MERS-CoV) infection is suspected. Interim guidance updated 2 July 2015. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/178529/l/WHO_MERS_clinical_15.1_eng.pdf?ua=1)
- Ministry of Health and Welfare.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "MERS, understand correctly and prevent in advance," 2015a. http://www.mers.go.kr/mers/html/jsp/Menu_C/list_C3.jsp?menuIds=&fid=5760&q_type=&q_value=&pageNum=4.
- Choi, J.S., Ha, J.Y., Lee, J.S., Lee, Y.T., Jeong, S.U., Shin, D.J.. et al. Factors affecting MERS-related health behaviors among male high school students. Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 150-157, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.3.150
- Daily UNN, "MERS Affect, student nurse stopped to practice in hospitals," 2015. https://news.unn.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=147981.
- Sung, Y.H., Nam, H.K.. The Study of the Knowledge and Performance of Nursing Students for the Nosocomial Infection Control, Industrial Nursing Journal, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 40-49, 2006.
- June, K.J., Choi, E. Infection control of hospital nurses: Cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 1-8, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.1.1
- Kim, M.J., Kang, G.Y. The convergence study on the relationship between the job stress and mental health of nurses. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 39-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.039
- Jeong, M.H.. Survey of Exposure to Blood and Body Fluids, Knowledge, Awareness and Performance on Standard Precautions of Infection Control in Nursing Students. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 316-329, 2015.
- Nickell, L.A,, Crighton E.J., Tracy, C.S., Al-Enaz,y H., Bolaji, Y., Hanjrah, S., Hussain, A., Makhlouf, S., Upshur, REG. Psychosocial effects of SARS on hospital staff: survey of a large tertiary care institution. Canadian Medical Association Journal, Vol. 170, No. 5, pp. 793-8, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1031077
- Poon E, Liu KS, Cheong DL, Lee CK, Yam LYC, Tang WN.. Impact of severe acute respiratory syndrome on anxiety levels of frontline health care workers. Hong kong Medical Journal, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 325-330, 2004.
- Seo, S.H.. Analysis of factors related to occurrence of Influenza A(H1N1) among Junior high students. master's thesis, Hanyang University, 2011.
- Park, S., Kim, M.. Factors affecting children's preventive behaviors for novel influenza A(H1N1). Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 9-19, 2010.
- Song, I.H., Kwon, S.W., Lim, H.J.. Knowledge and perceived threat about 2009 Influenza A(H1N1) and discriminative attitudes towards completely recovered patients among elementary students. Journal of Korean Society of School Health, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 61-70, 2011.
- Lim, S.H. Hand washing and preventive measures for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17. No. 2, pp. 427-435, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.427
- Lee, Y. H., Kim, I. S. A study on the awareness and performance levels on the prevention of hospital infection among intensive care unit nurses. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 197-210, 2002.
- Lee, K-A, Kim, H-S., Lee, Y. W., Ham, O. K. Factors influencing compliance with standard precautions in intensive care unit and emergency room nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 302-312, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.3.302
- Spielberger, C.D., Gorsuch, R.L., Lushene, R.E. STAI manual for the state-trait anxiety inventory ("Self-evaluation questionnaire"). Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1970.
- Kim, J. T., Shin, D. K. A study based on the standardization of the STAI for Korea, Newest Medical Journal, Vol. 21, No. 11, pp. 69-75, 1978.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 things you should know about MERS (PR materials on MERS), 2015b. http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/info/CdcKrHealth0293.jsp?menuIds=HOME001-MNU2374-MN U2375-MNU1914&fid=5746&q_type=&q_value=&cid=63283&pageNum=1
- Yang, C.S.. Effects of Ephedra on the State-trait anxiety in healthy adults : A double-blind randomized controlled trial. master's thesis, Woosuk University, 2007.
- Lee, M.K.. Effects of San-Yin-Jiao (SP6) Acupressure on Anxiety, Pu lse and Neonatal Status in Women during Labor. Korean Journal of Womens Health Nursing, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 138-151, 2003.
- Choi, S.A.. A Study on Firefighter's Post-Traumatic Stress, Anxiety and K-HTP Characteristic Reaction. Korean Journal of Arts Therapy, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 251-269, 2013.
- Choi, J,S., Yang, N.Y.. Perceived Knowledge, Attitude, and Compliance with Preventive Behavior on Influenza A (H1N1) by University Students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 250-259, 2010.
- Yang, N.Y., Choi, J.S.. Influenza A (H1N1) Regional Base Hospital Nurse's Knowledge, Awareness and Practice of Infection Control. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 593-602, 2009.
- Almutairi, K. M., Al Helih, E. M., Moussa, M., Boshaigah, A. E., Saleh Alajilan, A., Vinluan, J. M., et al.. Awareness, attitudes, and practices related to Coronavirus pandemic among public in Saudi Arabia. Family & Community Health, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 332-340, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1097/FCH.0000000000000082
- Balkhy, H. H., Abolfotouh, M. A., Al-Hathlool, R. H., Al-Jumah, M. A. Awareness, attitudes, and practices related to the swine influenza pandemic among the Saudi public. BMC Infectious Diseases, Vol. 28, No. 10, pp. 42, 2010.
- Correlation between the Preventive Behaviors on Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and the Knowledge, Attitude, and Compliance of Medically Inclined College Students vol.17, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.4.341