- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Convergence for Pronunciation and Listening Activities on Listening Ability and Learning Interests
발음과 듣기 융합 활동이 영어 듣기 능력과 학습 흥미에 미치는 영향
- Shin, Myeong-Hee (College of General Education, Hannam University)
- 신명희 (한남대학교 교양융복합대학)
- Received : 2016.04.15
- Accepted : 2016.05.30
- Published : 2016.06.30
The English language listening environment in Korea nowadays is situated in a quiet and artificial state rather than one of natural exposure. The purpose of this study is to investigate the effectiveness of convergence for pronunciation and listening activities using English advertisements. A survey sample of 40 students was chosen for this study. These 40 students successfully answered the questionnaire and took a 3 hour English course as an elective. Pre and post surveys tests were done for listening ability and learning interests. For the listening tests, TOEIC L.C. test were used and survey questions about interests made by Sunhee Park were revised to be proper used. The results of this study show a positive impact on TOEIC listening ability and that students are able to listen and naturally pronounce more successfully through convergence using English advertisements with higher learning motivation.
Natural exposed environment;Convergence for pronunciation and listening activities;English advertisements;listening ability;Learning interests
Supported by : 한남대학교
- Rivers, W. "Teaching foreign Language Skills," Chicago: Chicago UP, 1968.
- Valette, R. M & Rebecca M. "Modern language testing," New York,:Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. 1977.
- Sunhee Park, "(A) Study of effective english listening through TV english advertisements," Kukmin university, 2003
- Celce-Murcia M. "Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language"(3rd Edition) Boston, MA: Heinle and Heinle Publishers, 2001.
- Junkil Kim, "Listening First as the Natural Strategy for Learning English," Kunkuk university, Vol. 40 No. 2, pp. 71-82, 1995.
- Wong, R. "Pronunciation Myths and Facts," English Teaching Forum, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 45-46, 1983.
- Dauer, R. M. & Browne, S. C. "Teaching the Pronunciation of Connected Speech," Paper presented of the Annual Meeting of the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages. Vancouver, british Colombia, 1992.
- Davis, R. "TV Commercial Messages: An Untaped Video Resource to Content-Based Classes," Language Teacher, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 5-13, 1997.
- Myeonghee Shin, "Factors Affecting English Learners," Learning Motivation" Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 443-444, 2012.
- Gilbert J. B. "Clear speech"Cambridge: Cambridge university Press. 1987.
- Picken, J. "State of the ad :The role of advertisements in EFL teaching," ELT Journal, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 249-254, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/53.4.249
- Richard J.C & Renandya W.A "Methodology in Language Teaching," Cambridge: Cambridge university press, 2002.
- Peterson P. W. "Skills and strategies for proficient listening," In Cele-Murcia M. Teaching English as a second or foreign language (3rd, Edition) Boston, MA: Heinle and Heinl, 1991.
- David Cho. "Hackers TOEIC Listening," Hacers Academy, 2010.
- Myeonghee Shin, “The Study on the Effects of English for Specific Purposes for Korean University Students,” Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 552-553, 2014.
- Taeeun Chun. "Effect of Pronunciation-Based Listening Parctice of Suprasegmentals on Korean High School Students," Listening Ability in English," Ehwa university, 58-59, 1998.
- Myunghyn Kim, "The effects of Suprasegmental Phoneme-focused Pronunciation Teaching on Children's Learning," Pan Korea English Education, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2003.
- Su-Ja Kang, “L2 Learners' Communication Strategies : A Data Convergence Analysis,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 263-264, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.263
- Byungtae Seo, Hyesul Yang, “Cognitive strategies-based Speaking Training system for elementary English vocabulary,” Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 202-203, 2015.
- Youngwoo Kim, “A Study on Smartphone Use by Korean Adult ELT Learners,” Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 29-37, 2015.
- Mihyang Choi, Taein Han "A Study on the Variables Influencing Student Achievement in a Blended Learning of College English," Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 729-730, 2013.