- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Combined Exercise on Body Composition, Functional Fitness and Muscle Protein Synthesis Related Hormone in Sarcopenic Obesity Elderly Women
복합운동이 근감소증을 동반한 비만 여성고령자의 신체조성과 기능적 체력 및 근단백질합성 관련 호르몬에 미치는 영향
- So, Yong-Seok (Department of Health Care, Dong-A University)
- 소용석 (동아대학교 건강관리학과)
- Received : 2016.05.30
- Accepted : 2016.06.08
- Published : 2016.06.30
The purpose of this study was to analyze the effects of combined exercise on body composition, funtional fitness and muscle protein synthesis related hormone in sarcopenic obesity elderly women. The subjects for the study were 20 obesity elderly women over 65 years old. They were divided into two groups, the sarcopenic obesity group(n=10) and non-sarcopenic obesity group(n=10). The variables of body composition and cardiovascular fitness were measured in all the subjects before and after 12-week combined exercise. The findings of this study were as follows; In the sarcopenic obesity elderly women (SG), % body fat significantly decreased in the SG group, FFM and ASM significantly increased. In the chair stand test and arm curl test, SG group significantly increased. SG group significantly changed in chair sit-and-reach test, back scratch test, 2-minute step test. In the muscle protein synthesis related hormone(growth hormone and IGF-1), SG group significantly increased.
Sarcopenia;Obesity;body composition;functional fitness;muscle protein hormone
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Statistics Korea, "2010 Population and Housing Census", 2011.
- Y. R Yang, H. M. Gu, and S. S. Cho. "A study on current status of physical activity and plan for improving sport participation of the aged", Korea Institute of Sport Science, Vol. 15 No. 4, pp84-98, 2004.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2001 Nationwide elderly long-term care service needs survey", 2001.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "2009 Health Examination: Fourth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV-3, 3), 2009", 2011
- A. Y. Bijlsma, C. G. Meskers, R. G. Westendorp, and A. B. Maier. "Chronology of age-related disease definitions: osteoporosis and sarcopenia", Ageing Res Rev No. 11, pp320-324, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2012.01.001
- I. Janssen, D. S. Shepard, P. T. Katzmarzyk, and R. Roubenoff. "The healthcare costs of sarcopenia in the United States", J Am Geriatr Soc Vol. 52, pp80-85, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52014.x
- I. H. Rosenberg, "Sarcopenia: origins and clinical relevance", J Nutr 127(5 Suppl), pp990-991, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.5.990S
- R. N. Baumgartner, K. M. Koehler, and Gallagher D, et al., "Epidemiology of sarcopenia among the elderly in New Mexico", Am J Epidemiol., No. 147, pp755-763, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009520
- L. J. Dominguez, and M. Barbagallo. "The cardiometabolic syndrome and sarcopenic obesity in older persons", Journal of the Cardiometabolic Syndrome, Vo. 2, No. 3, pp183-189, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-4564.2007.06673.x
- M. Zamboni, G. Mazzali, F. Fantin, A. Rossi, and V. Di Francesco. "Sarcopenic obesity: a new category of obesity in the elderly", Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp388-395, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2007.10.002
- W. C. Stephen, and I. Jassen. "Sarcopenic-obesity and cardiovascular disease risk in the elderly", The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp460-466, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-009-0084-z
- S. M. Iannuzzi, K. M. Prestwood, and A. M. Kenny, "Prevalence of Sarcopenia and predictors of skeletal muscle mass in healthy, older men and women", 2002.
- T. N. Kim, S. J. Yang, H. J. Yoo, K. I. Lim, H. J. Kang, W. Song, J. A. Seo, S. G. Kim, N. H. Kim, S. H. Baik, D. S. Choi, and K. M. Choi. "Prevalence of sarcopenia and sarcopenic obesity in Korean adults: the Korean sarcopenic obesity study. International Journal of Obesity(Lond)", Vol. 33, No. 8, pp885-92, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2009.130
- M. B. Snijder, R. M. Henry, M. Visser, J. M. Dekker, J. C. Seidell, I. Ferreira, L. M. Bouter, J. S. Yudkin, N. Westerhof, and C. D. Stehouwer, "Regional body composition as a determinant of arterial stiffness in the elderly: The Hoorn Study", Journal of Hypertension, Vol. 22, No. 12, pp2339-2347, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004872-200412000-00016
- R. Jurca, M. J. Lamonte, C. E. Barlow, J. B. Kampert, T. S. Church, and S. N. Blair. "Association of muscular strength with incidence of metabolic syndrome in men", Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise, Vol. 37, No. 11, 1849-1855, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.mss.0000175865.17614.74
- N. J. Kim, and J. Y. Park, "The Effects of Long Terms Senior Body Rhythm Exercise Program of Body Composition and Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors in Post-Menopausal Obese Elderly Women", The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp127-131, 2009.
- M. S. Kim, and S. W. Yang, "The Change in Blood Lipids, Leptin, and Cortisol of Elderly Obesity Women through Exercise Programs", Korean Society of Sport and Leisure Studies, No. 36, pp663-671, 2009.
- S. H. Kim, "The Effects of 12 Weeks of Circuit Exercise on Obesity, Physical Fitness and Metabolic Syndrome Index in Elderly Obese Women", The Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp823-835, 2009.
- W. Y. So, M. S. Song, B. L. Cho, Y. H. Park, Y. S. Kim, J. Y. Lim, S. H. Kim, and W. S. "The Effects of Treatment Dumbbell Exercise on Body Composition, Fitness, and Blood Lipid Profiles in Sarcopenic Elderly", The Korean Gerontological Society, 29(3), 837-850.
- J. H. Jung, and J. H. Yang, "Effects of Combined Exercise on Body Composition and Cardiovascular fitness in Sarcopenic Obesity Elderly Women", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp703-714, 2012.
- V. B. O'Leary, C. M. Marchetti, R. K. Krishnan, B. P. Stetzer, F. Gonzalez, and J. P. Kirwan, "Exercise-induced reversal of insulin resistance in obese elderly is associated with reduced visceral fat", Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol. 100, No. 5, pp1584-1589, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.01336.2005
- S. K. Park, E. H. Kim, Y. C. Kwon, J. K. Park, S Y. Kang, and J. H. Jang. "Effects of Combined Exercise Program on Health-related Physical Fitness, Anti-aging Hormone and Prevention of Sarcopenia in Elderly Women with Sarcopenia", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 40, pp435-442, 2010.
- J. H. Jung, and S. J Yang, "Effects of Exercise on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Sarcopenic Obesity Elderly Women", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp 3692-3972, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.8.3692
- J. P. Little, and S. M. Phillips, "Resistance exercise and nutrition to counteract muscle wasting", Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp817-828, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1139/H09-093
- R. N. Baumgartner, K. M. Koehler, D. Gallagher, et al. "Epidemiology of sarcopenia among the elderly in New Mexico", Am J Epidemiol., 147, 755-763. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009520
- M. Aubertin-Leheudre, C. Lord, E. D. Goulet, A. Khalil, and I. J. Dionne, "Effect of sarcopenia on cardiovascular disease risk factors in obese postmenopausal women", Obesity Research, Vol. 14, No. 12, pp2277-2281, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2006.267
- A. B. Newman, V. Kupelian, M. Visser, E., Simonsick, B. Goodpaster, M. Nevitt, S. B. Kritchevsky, F. A. Tylavsky, S. M. Rubin, and T. B. Harris, Sarcopenia: Alternative definitions and associations with lower extremity function. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol. 51, No. 11, pp1602-1609, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2003.51534.x
- Y. Rolland, V. Lauwers-Cances, C. Cristini, G. Abellan van Kan, I. Janssen, J. E. Morley, and B. Vellas, "Difficulties with physical function associated with obesity, sarcopenia, and sarcopenicobesity in community-dwelling elderly women: the EPIDOS Study", The American Journal of Clinical Nutrirtion, 89(6), pp1895-1900, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.26950
- D. R. Taaffe, "Sarcopenia: Exercise as a treatment strategy", Australian Family Physician, Vol. 35, No. 3, 130-133, 2006.
- A. Halverstadt, D. A. Phares, K. R. Wilund, A. P. Goldberg, and J. M. Hagberg, "Endurance exercise training raises high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and lowers small lowers small low-density lipoprotein and very low-density lipoprotein' independent of body fat phenotypes in older men and women", Metabolism, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp444-450. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2006.10.019
- K. D. Park, "Analysis of change of 1RM and body composition according to intensity of exercise in 12-weeks muscular resistance training program for elderly women with obesity", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp567-576, 2009.
- S. Y. Kim, K. R. Chung, S, B, Ju, S. D. Yoon and G. D. Park, "Effects of Detraining after Muscular Progressive Resistance Training on Body Composition and Senior Fitness Test in the Elderly Women", The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp85-91, 2010.
- S. D. Jung, J. J. Park, and J. H. Yang. "Effects of elastic band exercise on functional fitness and physical activity Levels in older women", The Korean Journal of Physical Education,Vol. 48, No. 6, 2009.
- J. H. Jung, and J. H. Yang, "Effects of an Elastic Band Exercise with Trot Music or Command on Functional Fitness in Senior Women Using Senior Citizen Center", The Korean Journal of Growth and Developmen, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp193-198, 2012.
- R. E. Rikli, and C, J. Jones, "Senior fitness test manual. Champaign", IL: Human Kinetics. 2001.
- ACSM, "ACSM's Resource for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription-8th Ed", Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2010.
- D. J. Jung, and K. C. Joo, "The Effects of Resistance Exercise by Elastic Band for Improved to Daily Living Physical Fitness in Old-age Women", Exercise Science, Vl. 12, No. 2, pp253-265, 2003.
- J. C. Noh, S. J. Kang, and U. H. Baek, "Effect of Physical Function Fitness and Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors on 24week Exercise in Elder Women", The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp93-98, 2010.
- L. Moller, L. Dalman, H. Norrelund, N. Billestrup, J. Frystyk, N. Moller, and J. O. Jorgensen, "Impact of fasting on growth hormone signaling and action in muscle and fat", J Clin Endocrinol Metab. Vol. 94, No. 3, pp965-72, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2008-1385
- D. Rudman, A. G. Feller, H. S. Nagraj, et al. "Effects of human growth hormone in men over 60 years old", N Engl J Med Vol. .323, pp1-6, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199007053230101
- M. A. Papadakis, D. Grady, and D. Black, et al. "Growth hormone replacement in healthy older men improves body composition but not functional ability", Ann Intern Med, Vol. 124, pp708-716, 1996. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-124-8-199604150-00002
- R. Nass, and M. O. Thorner, "Impact of the GH-cortisol ratio on the age-dependent changes in body composition", Growth Horm IGF Res Vol. 12, pp147-161, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1096-6374(02)00022-9
- Development and Effects of Combined Exercise Program for Older Adults with Sarcopenia Based on Transtheoretical Model vol.48, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2018.48.6.656