- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Variation of Rock Properties in Acidic Solution and Loading Condition
산성수 침수 및 하중 조건에서의 암석물성변화 연구
Chung, Jae Hong;Park, Seung Hun;Lee, Seung Jun;Yu, Seungwon;Lee, Woo Hee;Kwon, Sangki
- Received : 2016.04.19
- Accepted : 2016.06.02
- Published : 2016.06.30
This paper presents experimental results to investigate the affects of acidic solution under loading condition on rock properties. In the experiment, the variations of various rock properties including effective porosity, thermal conductivity, and etc were investigated with different pHs of solution and magnitudes of loading. The results show that the rock property change was increased with low pH under loading. It was predicted that chemical reaction rate would be increased in low pH. Below the crack initiation stress of the rock specimen, the variation of rock property change was reduced with increased loading. It could be explained with the reduced chemical reaction area by the compressional loading if there is no crack generation.
Abandoned mine;Rock property;Acidic solution-loading;Effective porosity
- Bernd, G. Lottermoser, Cayol, 2010, Mine Waste, Springer, 3rd Edition, Springer, New York, pp. 43-50.
- Brace, W., F., 1960, An extension of the griffith theory of fracture to rocks, Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 65, Issue 10, pp. 3477-3480. https://doi.org/10.1029/JZ065i010p03477
- Charles Derek Martin, 1993, The strength of massive lac du bonnet granite around underground openings, Doctor of science thesis, University of Manitobe, Canada.
- Cho, W., J., Kwon, S., K., Choi, J., W., 2008, Thermal conductivity of granite from the KAERI underground research tunnel site, Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 219-225.
- Eberhardt, E., Stead, D., Stimpson, B., 1999, Quantifying progressive pre-peak brittle fracture damage in rock during uniaxial compression, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 36, Issue 3, pp. 361-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-9062(99)00019-4
- Eberhardt, E., Stead, D., Stimpson, B., Read, R. S., 1998, Identifying crack initiation and propagation threshold in brittle rock, Canadian Geotechnology Journal, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 222-233. https://doi.org/10.1139/t97-091
- Gratier, J., P., Renard, F., Labaume, P., 1999, How pressure solution creep and fracturing process interact in the upper crust to make it behave in both a brittle and viscous manner, Journal of Structural Geology, Vol. 21, Issue 8-9, pp. 1189-1197. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8141(99)00035-8
- Grgic, D., Giraud, A., Auvray, C., 2013, Impact of chemical weathering on micro/macro-mechanical properties of oolithic iron ore, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 64, pp. 236-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2013.09.005
- Heo, J., Lee, J., C., Seo, J., B., Park, S., H., Park, J., C., Kwon, S., K., 2014, Variation of thermal and mechanical properties of crystalline granite under saturatedloading condition, TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND SPACE, Vol. 24, No., 3, pp. 224-233. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2014.24.3.224
- Kim, J., H., Lee, M., S., Lee, M., H., Lee, J., M., Park, S., M., 2011, A study on effects of temperature for physical properties change of rocks, Journal of Petrological Society of Korea, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 141-149. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2011.20.3.141
- Kim, J., H., Lee., M., S., Lee, J., M., Park, S., M., 2010, Physical properties of rocks according to heating treatment, Conservation studies, Vol. 31, pp. 31-42.
- Korean Society of Rock Mechanics, 2005, Standard test method for determination of elastic wave velocity of rock, TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND SPACE, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 239-242.
- Korean Society of Rock Mechanics, 2005, Standard test method for uniaxial compressive strength of rock, TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND SPACE, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 85-86.
- Korean Society of Rock Mechanics, 2006, Standard test method for indirect tensile strength of rock by the brazilian test, TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND SPACE, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 279-280.
- Korean Society of Rock Mechanics, 2006, Standard test method for porosity and density of rock, TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND SPACE, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 95-98.
- Lee, C. S., Kwon, S. K., Choi J. W., Jeon, S. W., 2011, An estimation of the excavation damaged zone at the KAERI underground research tunnel, Journal of Korean Society of Rock Mechanics, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 359-369.
- Lee, C. W., Kim, J., Jeon, S., W., Kim, S., J., Jung, M., C., Lim, K., J., Jung, Y., U., 2014, Mine environmental engineering, Cir, Seoul, pp. 337-360.
- Lee, Y., M., 2007, Thermal conductivity of rocks for geothermal energy utilization, Korea Society of Geothermal Energy Engineers, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 9-15.
- Lim, H., U., Baek, H., Kim, C., H., 2000, Feasibility study on the utilization of abandoned underground excavation caverns, Journal of Korean Society of Rock Mechanics, Vol. 10, pp. 249-256.
- Liu, J., Sheng, J., Polak, A., Elsworth, D., Yasuhara, H., Grader, A., 2006, A fully-coupled hydrological-mechanicalchemical model for fracture sealing and preferential opening, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, Vol. 43, Issue 1, pp. 23-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2005.04.012
- Martino, J. B., Chandler, N. A., 2004, Excavation-induced damage studies at the underground research laboratory, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 41, Issue 8, pp. 1413-1426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2004.09.010
- Min, K., B., Rutqvist, J., Elsworth, D., 2009, Chemically and mechanically mediated influences on the transport and mechanical characteristics of rock fractures, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 46, Issue 1, pp. 80-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2008.04.002
- Ning, L., Yunming, Z., Bo, S., Gunter, S., 2003, A chemical damage model of sandstone in acid solution, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 243-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00132-6
- Park, J. D., Min, K. W., 2003, Variation of physical properties of rocks subject to artificial weathering, research of resources development, Vol. 17, pp. 51-60.
- Park, S., H., Heo, J., Lee, J. H., Park, J. C., Kwon, S., 2015, An evaluation of the influence of the rock property change under saturated-loading conditions on rock stability, Journal of Korean Society of Mineral and Energy Resources Engineer, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 309-321.
- Park, S., Y., 2008, Application plan research of underground space developed by mining, 2nd paper contests of preventing mine damage, Mine Reclamation Corp (MIRECO).
- Peila, D., Pelizza, S., 1995, Civil reuse of underground mine openings: a summary of international experience, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 179-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/0886-7798(95)00006-K
- Shin, H., S., 2001, The utilization of abandoned mine caverns for disposal of industrial wastes, 한국암반공학회 학술대회 및 세미나 자료집, pp. 167-181.
- Shin, H., S., 2013, Underground space development and strategy in Korea, TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND SPACE, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 327-336. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2013.23.5.327
- Shon, B. H., Jung, J. H., Kim, H. K., Yoo, J. G., Lee H. K., 2005, Effects of salts and acid solutions on the weathering of granite, Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 101-108.
- Son, Y. J., Kim, J. D., 2012, Mine haulage system design for reopening of yangyang iron mine using 3D modelling, Journal of Korean Society of Rock Mechanics, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 412-428.
- Tada, R., Siever, R., 1986, Experimental knife-edge pressure solution of halite, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol. 50, Issue 1, pp. 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(86)90045-1
- Wiederhorn S. M., Johnson H., 1973, Effect of electrolyte pH on crack propagation in glass, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 192-197. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1973.tb12454.x
- Woo, I., Um, J., G., Park, H., J., 2009, Variation of geomechanical characteristics of grinite and orthogneiss in wonju area due to accelerated artificial chemical weathering tests, Journal of Korean Society of Rock Mechanics, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 213-225.
- Xie, S., Y., Shao, J., F., Xu, W., Y., 2011, Influence of chemical degradation on mechanical behaviour of a limestone, International Journal of Rock Mechanics, Vol. 48, pp. 741-747. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.04.015
Supported by : 한국창의과학재단