- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Coupled Hydrological-mechanical Behavior Induced by CO2 Injection into the Saline Aquifer of CO2CRC Otway Project
호주 오트웨이 프로젝트 염수층 내 CO2 주입에 따른 수리-역학적 연계거동 분석
- Park, Jung-Wook ;
- Shinn, Young Jae (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Rutqvist, Jonny (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory) ;
- Cheon, Dae-Sung ;
- Park, Eui-Seob
- Received : 2016.04.20
- Accepted : 2016.05.12
- Published : 2016.06.30
The present study numerically simulated the CO2 injection into the saline aquifer of CO2CRC Otway pilot project and the resulting hydrological-mechanical coupled process in the storage site by TOUGH-FLAC simulator. A three-dimensional numerical model was generated using the stochastic geological model which was established based on well log and core data. It was estimated that the CO2 injection of 30,000t over a period of 200 days increased the pressure near the injection point by 0.5 MPa at the most. The pressure increased rapidly and tended to approach a certain value at an early stage of the injection. The hydrological and mechanical behavior observed from the CO2 flow, effective stress change and stress-strength ratio revealed that the CO2 injection into the saline aquifer under the given condition would not have significant effects on the mechanical safety of the storage site and the hydrological state around the adjacent fault.
TOUGH-FLAC simulator;Otway pilot project;CO2 storage;Hydrological-mechanical coupled analysis
Grant : 심부 지오시스템 특성 평가기술 개발, 호주 오트웨이 파일럿 프로젝트 참여를 통한 지중저장 실증 기반구축 사업
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원, 한국에너지기술평가원
- Davies, J.P., Davies, D.K., 1999, Stress-dependent permeability: characterization and modeling. In: SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers, paper SPE 56813.
- Gallagher, S.J., Taylor, D., Apthorpe, M., Stilwell, J.D., Boreham, C.J., Holdgate, G.R., Wallace, M.W., Quilty, P.G., 2005, Late Cretaceous dysoxia in a southern high latitude siliclastic succession, the Otway Basin, southeastern Australia. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, Vol. 223, pp. 317-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2005.04.017
- Geary, G.C., Reid, I.S.A., 1998, Hydrocarbon prospectivity of the offshore eastern Otway Basin, Victoria-for the 1998 Acreage Release. Victorian Initiative for Minerals and Petroleum Report 55, Department of Natural Resources and Environment, p. 110.
- Intergoverment Panel on Climate Change, 2014, Climate Change 2014: the fifth assessment report of ICPP, Cambridge, UK, NewYork, Cambridge University Press.
- International Energy Agency, 2015, Carbon capture and storage: the solution for deep emissions reductions. https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/carbon-capture-and-storagethe-solution-for-deep-emissions-reductions.html.
- Itasca Consulting Group Inc., 2012, FLAC3D manual: Fast Lagrangian analysis of continua in 3 dimensions-ver. 5.0 manual. Minnesota: Itasca Consulting Group Inc.
- Kim, A.R., Kim, H.M., 2016, Scenario Analysis of Injection Temperature and Injection Rate for Assessing the Geomechanical Stability of CCS (Carbon Capture and Sequestration) System, Tunnel & Underground Space, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 12-23.
Kim, H.M., Park, E.S., Synn, J.H., Park, Y.C., 2008, Greenhouse Gas (
$CO_2$) Geological Sequestration and Geomechanical Technology Component, Tunnel & Underground Space, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 175-184.
- Kim, H.M., Rutqvist, J., Ryu, D.W., Choi, B.H., Sunwoo, C., Song, W.K., 2012, Exploring the concept of compressed air energy storage (CAES) in lined rock caverns at shallow depth: A modeling study of air tightness and energy balance. Applied Energy, Vol. 92, pp. 653-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.07.013
- Leverett, M.C., 1941, Capillary behavior in porous media. Transactions of the AIME, Vol. 142, pp. 341-358.
- Park, C.-H., Shinn, Y.J., Park, Y.-C, Huh, D.-G., Lee, S.K., 2014, PET2OGS: Algorithms to link the static model of Petrel with the dynamic model of OpenGeoSys. Computers & Geosciences, Vol. 62, pp. 95-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2013.09.014
Pruess, K., 2005, ECO2N: A TOUGH2 fluid property module for mixtures of water, NaCl and
$CO_2$, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Report LBNL-57952, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Pruess, K., Oldenburg, C., Moridis, G., 1999, TOUGH2 User's guide, ver. 2.0. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) Report LBL-43134, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Rutqvist, J., 2012, Status of the TOUGH-FLAC simulator and recent applications related to coupled fluid flow and crustal deformations, Computers & Geosciences, Vol. 37, pp. 739-750.
- Rutqvist, J., Dobson, P.F., Garcia, J., Hartline, C., Jeanne, P., Oldenburg, C.M., Vasco, D.W., Walters, M., 2015, The northwest Geysers EGS demonstration project, California: Pre-stimulation modeling and interpretation of the stimulation. Mathematical Geosciences, Vol. 47, pp. 3-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11004-013-9493-y
- Rutqvist, J., Tsang, C.F., 2012, Multiphysics processes in partially saturated fractured rock: Experiments and models from Yucca Mountain. Reviews of Geophysics, Vol. 50, RG3006.
- Rutqvist, J., Wu, Y.S., Tsang, C.F., Bodvarsson, G., 2002, A modeling approach for analysis of coupled multiphase fluid flow, heat transfer, and deformation in fractured porous rock. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 39, pp. 429-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00022-9
- Tenthorey, E., Zach, J., Duy, N., 2010, CRC-2 Extented leak-off and mini-frac tests: Results and implication, CO2CRC Report Number RPT10-2228.
Tsang, C.F., Birkholzer, J., Rutqvist, J., 2008, A comparative review of hydrologic issues involved in geologic storage of
$CO_2$and injection disposal of liquid waste. Journal of Environmental Geology, Vol. 54, pp. 1723-1737. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00254-007-0949-6
- van Genuchten, M.T., 1980, A closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils. Soil science society of America journal. 44, 892-898. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1980.03615995004400050002x
- van Ruth, P., Tenthorey, E., Vidal-Gilbert, S., 2007, Geomechanical analysis of the Naylor structure, Otway basin, Australia, CO2CRC Report Number RPT07-0966.
신영재, 박찬희, 허대기, 신중호, 2014, 호주 오트웨이 프로젝트
$CO_2$주입 대상 염수층의 지질모델링 및 $CO_2$거동 시뮬레이션, 지질학회지, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 387-400.
- 최종근, 2007, 지구통계학, 시그마프레스, 서울.
- 한국지질자원연구원, 2012, 호주 오트웨이 파일럿 프로젝트 참여를 통한 지중저장 실증 기반 구축: 2012년 연차보고서