- Volume 29 Issue 4
A long-run relationship of stock, monetary, realty markets, and business conditions has been suggested to exist due to internal and external shocks. This study investigates whether such a relationship really exists and then performs statistical tests to discern features of the long-run adjustment processes from short-run discrepancies because it is difficult to find studies that examine the market relationship. The comovement relationship of the whole market does not appear to hold for the entire study period; however, it is found to exist for the period before the financial crisis. Estimated error correction models show consistently declining equilibrium errors each period that suggests a recovering process of the long-run equilibrium from short-run secessions.
restricted VAR;unrestricted VAR;equilibrium error
- Bessler, D. A. and Yang, J. (2003). The structure of interdependence in international stock markets, Journal of International Money and Finance, 22, 261-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5606(02)00076-1
- Cable, J. R. (1997). Market share behavior and mobility: an analysis and time-series application, Review of Economics and Statistics, 79, 136-141. https://doi.org/10.1162/003465397556476
- Chen, G. M., Firth, M., and Rui, O. M. (2002). Stock market linkages: evidence from Latin America, Journal of Banking and Finance, 26, 1113-1141. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4266(01)00160-1
- Cheng, B. S. (1999). Beyond the purchasing power parity: testing for cointegration and causality between exchange rates, prices, and interest rates, Journal of International Money and Finance, 18, 911-924. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5606(99)00035-2
- Cheung, Y. and Lai, K. (1993). Finite sample sizes of Johansen's likelihood ratio test for cointegration, Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 55, 313-328.
- Clarida, R. H. (1996). Consumption, import prices, and the demand for imported consumer durables: a structural econometric investigation, Review of Economics and Statistics, 78, 369-374. https://doi.org/10.2307/2109783
- Elliot, G., Rothenberg, T. J., and Stock, J. H. (1996). Efficient tests for an autoregressive unit root, Econometrica, 64, 813-836. https://doi.org/10.2307/2171846
- Engle, R. F. and Granger, C. W. J. (1987). Cointegration and error correction representation: estimation and testing, Econometrica, 55, 251-276. https://doi.org/10.2307/1913236
- Engle, R. F. and Yoo, B. S. (1987). Forecasting and testing in co-integrated system, Journal of Econometrics, 35, 143-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(87)90085-6
- Ericsson, N. R., Hendry, D. F., and Mizon, G. E. (1998). Exogeneity, cointegration, and economic policy analysis, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 16, 370-387.
- Horioka, C. Y. (1997). A cointegration analysis of the impact of the age structure on the population on the household saving rate in Japan, Review of Economics and Statistics, 79, 511-516. https://doi.org/10.1162/rest.1918.104.22.1681
- Kang, H. (1999). The applied cointegration analysis for the open economy: a critical review, Open Economies Review, 10, 325-346. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008316405353
- Kim, T. H. (2011). Impact of the change in market conditions on a test for market cointegration, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 24, 103-114. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2011.24.1.103
- Kim, T. H. and Won, Y. J. (2011). Test for theory of portfolio diversification, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 24, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2011.24.1.001
- Kwon, C. S. and Shin, T. S. (1999). Cointegration and causality between macroeconomic variables and stock market returns, Global Finance Journal, 10, 71-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1044-0283(99)00006-X
- McNown, R. and Wallace, M. (1997). Autoregressive transformations in cointegrated regressions, Review of Economics and Statistics, 79, 503-507. https://doi.org/10.1162/003465300556913
- Ng, S. and Perron, P. (1995). Unit root tests in ARMA models with data-dependent methods for the selection of the truncation lag, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 90, 268-281. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1995.10476510
- Ng, S. and Perron, P. (2001). Lag length selection and the construction of unit root tests with good size and power, Econometrica, 69, 1519-1554. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0262.00256
- Phillips, P. C. B. and Ouliaris, S. (1990). Asymptotic properties of residual based test for cointegration, Econometrica, 58, 165-193. https://doi.org/10.2307/2938339
- Sargan, J. and Bhargava, A. (1983). Testing residuals from least squares regression for being generated by the Gaussian random walk, Econometrica, 51, 153-174. https://doi.org/10.2307/1912252
- Son, J. C. (2010). Dynamic analysis of correlations among monetary policy, real and financial variables and housing prices, Kyong Je Hak Yon Gu, 58, 179-219.
- Yuce, A. and Sigma-Mugan, C. (2000). Linkages among eastern European stock markets and the major stock exchanges, Russian and East European Finance and Trade, 36, 54-69.
Supported by : 충북대학교