- Volume 29 Issue 4
Outlier detection methods without performing a test often do not succeed in detecting multiple outliers because they are structurally vulnerable to a masking effect or a swamping effect. This paper considers testing procedures supplemented to a clustering-based method of identifying the group with a minority of the observations as outliers. One of general steps is performing a variety of t-test on individual outlier-candidates. This paper proposes a sequential procedure for searching for outliers by changing cutoff values on a cluster tree and performing a test on a set of outlier-candidates. The proposed method is illustrated and compared to existing methods by an example and Monte Carlo studies.
clustering;linear regression model;outlier test;sequential procedure
- Hadi, A. S. and Simonoff, J. S. (1993). Procedures for the identification of multiple outliers in linear models, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 88, 1264-1272. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1993.10476407
- Kianifard, F. and Swallow, W. H. (1989). Using recursive residuals, calculated on adaptive-ordered observations, to identify outliers in linear regression, Biometrics, 45, 571-585. https://doi.org/10.2307/2531498
- Kianifard, F. and Swallow, W. H. (1996). A review of the development and application of recursive residuals in linear models, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 91, 391-400. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1996.10476700
- Kim, S. S. and Krzanowski, W. J. (2007). Detecting multiple outliers in linear regression using a cluster method combined with graphical visualization, Computational Statistics, 22, 109-119. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00180-007-0026-3
- Mojena, R. (1977). Hierarchical grouping methods and stopping rules: an evaluation, The Computer Journal, 20, 359-363. https://doi.org/10.1093/comjnl/20.4.359
- Pena, D. and Yohai, V. J. (1995). The detection of influential subsets in linear regression by using an influence matrix, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, 57, 145-156.
- Rousseeuw, P. J. and Leroy, A. M. (1987). Robust Regression and Outlier Detection, John Wiley, New York.
- Sebert, D. M., Montgomery, D. C., and Rollier, D. (1998). A clustering algorithm for identifying multiple outliers in linear regression, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 27, 461-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-9473(98)00021-8
- Seo, H. S. and Yoon, M. (2014). A test on a specific set of outlier candidates in a linear model, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 27, 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2014.27.2.307
- An on-line detection method for outliers of dynamic unstable measurement data pp.1573-7543, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10586-017-1458-3
Supported by : 건국대학교