- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Sedimented Sandy in Nackdong River Delta
낙동강 델타지역 퇴적사질토의 특성
- Received : 2016.04.05
- Accepted : 2016.05.25
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study was a basic research to obtain the knowledge of physical properties of the upper sedimented sandy soil in the Nakdong river delta area. The characteristics of shear strength and permeability with fine content and relative density were also investigated. The upper sedimented sandy soil near paddy and lower soft clay layers showed high percentage of fine content, and the rest parts had about 5% of fine content. The specific gravity regardless of depth and location was almost constant. The upper sedimented sandy soil mostly had particle size about 0.1 ~ 0.4mm regardless of sedimentation environment and has illite, a clay mineral, in the entire soil samples. The results of direct shear tests on remolded specimens of the upper sedimented sandy soil revealed that the friction angle and cohesion increased with relative density, but its effect was not significant. The fine content was significant, that as increasing it, the friction angle decreased and cohesion increased linearly. The permeability decreased with relative density and fine content, and the permeability of soil containing more than 15% of fine content was independent on the relative density.
Sedimented sandy soil;Fine content;Relative density;Shear strength;Permeability;Delta
- Bak. K.J. (1998), Effect of Depositional Environments on Engineering Characteristics of Marine Deposits in the Nakdong River Mouth and its Neighboring Coast, Ph.D. Thesis, Dongguk Univ.
- Busan Metropolitan Corporation. (2016), http://www.bmc.busan.kr/projects/industry_01_24/.
- Choi, H.S., Yang, J.H., Kim, T.H., Yoon, J.N., Choi, E.S. (2009), "Feasibility study on application of PBD for expanding highway road on soft ground above confined aquifer, Proc. of the Annual Conference of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, pp.1916-1919.
- Chung, S.G., Lee, N.K., Lee, J.M., Min, S.C., Hong, Y.P. (2010a), "Hydraulic Characteristics of Busan Clay in the Floodplain of the Nakdong River Delta", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.26, No.11, pp.47-61.
- Chung, S.G., Ryu, C.K., Jo, K.Y., Huh, D.Y. (2005), "Geological and geotechnical characteristics of marine clays at the Busan newport", Marine Georesources and Geotechnology, Vol.23, No.3, pp.235-251. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641190500225712
- Chung, S.G. (2005), "Keynote Lecture: Sampling techniques and their effects in characterizing of Busan clay. Proceedings, Current Geotechnical Issues of Thick Clay Deposits", Joint Symposium of ISSMGE ATC7 and KGS TC, Sept 21-22, Busan, pp.3-36.
- Chung, S.G., Lee, N.K., Kim, S.R. (2009), "Hyperbolic method for prediction of prefabricated vertical drains performance", J. of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.135, No.10, pp.1519-1528. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000042
- Chung, S.G., Lee, N.K. (2010b), "Smear effect and well resistance of PVD-installed ground based on hyperbolic method", J. of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.136, No.4, pp.640-642. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000256
- Chung, S.G., Chung, J.G., Jang, W.Y., Lee, J.M. (2010c), "Correlations between CPT and FVT results for Busan Clay", Marine Georesources & Geotechnology, Vol.28, No.1, pp.49-63. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641190903358649
- Chung, S.G., Jang, W.Y., Ryu, C.K. (2006) "Compressibility Characteristics Associated with Depositional Environment of Pusan Clay in the Nakdong River Estuary", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.22, No.12, pp.57-65.
- Korea Water Resources Corporation(K-water). (2014), "Soil Investigation Report of Busan Eco-Delta City Section 3", pp.38.
- Korea Water Resources Corporation(K-water). (2016), http://k-water.or.kr
- Jang, Y.S., Kim, Y.W. (2000), "A Study of Installation Depth of Vertical Drain for Weak Clay Soils with Artesian Pressure using 3-D Numerical Flow Model", J. of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.20, No.1-C, pp.39-46.
- Kim, M., Do, H.Y., Kim, G.J., Chung, S.G. (2000), "Settlement characteristics of sand deposit in the mouth of Nakdong River," J. of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.2, pp.501-504.
- Kim, Y.T. (2011), "Effect of Salinity on Mechanical Characteristics of Stabilized Dredged Soil", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.27, No.9, pp.47-53.
- Kim, S.K., Kim, H.I., Hong, B.M., Kim, T.H. (1999), "Consolidation Analysis of Vertical Drain Considering Artesian Pressure", Proc. of the Annual Conference of Korean Geotechnical Society, No.5, pp.62-69.
- Kwon, J.G. (2012), Study on the Development of Quality Assurance Method of the Sand Compaction Pile, Ph.D. Thesis, Busan National Univ.
- Lee, H.K. (2012), Comparison and Analysis in Bearing Power of Nakdong River Bridge's Large Diameter Drilled Shaft Constructed, Master Thesis, Busan National Univ.
- Moon, S.W., Yun, H.S., Choo, C.O., Kim, W.S., Seo, Y.S. (2015), "A Study on Mineralogical and Basic Mechanical Properties of Fault Gouges in 16 Faults, Korea", J. Miner. Soc. Korea, Vol.28, No.2, 109-126. https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2015.28.2.109
- Olson, R.E. (1974), "Shearing Strength of Kaolinite, Illite and Montmorillonite", Journal of the Geotechnical Division, ASCE, Vol.100, GT11, pp.1215-1299.
- Tembe, S., Lockner, D.A., Wong, T.F. (2010), "Effect of Clay Content and Mineralogy on Frictional Sliding Behavior of Simulated Gouges: Binary and Ternary Mixtures of Quartz, Illite, and Montmorillonite", Journal of Geophysical Research, 115, B03416, doi:10.1029/2009JB006383. https://doi.org/10.1029/2009JB006383
- Vinod, S.K. (2012), Evaluation of Deformation Modulus and Shear Strength of Deep Sand in the Nakdong River Delta, Ph.D. Thesis, Donga Univ.
Grant : Optimization of Ground Development for Deep Thick Soft Ground at Delta
Supported by : Korea Water Resource Coporation