- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Separation Between Main and Divergent Tunnels in Divergence Section of Double-Deck Tunnel on the Stability
복층터널 분기구에서의 터널 이격에 따른 안정성 영향
La, You-Sung;Kim, Bum-Joo
- Received : 2016.03.31
- Accepted : 2016.06.13
- Published : 2016.06.30
Double deck tunnels are considered to have a large demand in a near future for solving traffic congestion problems and overcoming the limitations in constructing new tunnels. This study presents a numerical investigation using finite element (FE) analysis on the behaviors of the tunnels and the stability of pillars in a divergence section where single tunnel is diverged from a main line double deck tunnel. The effects of the separation distance between the diverged and the main tunnels and the ground condition were examined through the FE analysis by varying the separation distance from 0.1D to 2.0D (D: diameter of main tunnel) and the rock class from class I to V, respectively, and the analysis results were compared with those using empirical methods, strength-stress ratio, and the volume of interference. The FE analysis results indicated that the separation distance has a larger effect on tunnel behaviors, compared with the rock strength, and a single tunnel with a large cross section is more favorable than two separated tunnels for tunnel stability when the separation distance is below 0.7D.
Double-deck tunnel;Divergence;Separation Distance;Tunnel stability
- Design Guidelines for Road. (2002), Korean Expressway Corporation.
- Hoek. E., Brown, E.T. (1980), "Empirical Strength Criterion for Rock Masses", J. Geotech Engineering Div. ASCE Vol.106, pp.1013-1035.
- Jung, Y.J., Song, H.C., Lee, S.H., Shin, S.H., Lee, S.B. (2007) "Study of rock pillar stability and reinforcement methods for closely-spaced tunnels", Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Special Symposium, pp.486-500.
- Kang, C.M. (2008), "Big Close Reinforce Parallel Tunnel Section Applies Pilla and Reliability Evaluation", A master's thesis, Graduate School, Kyungpook National University.
- Kang, J.G., Yang, H.S., Jang, S.J. (2014), "Stability Analysis of Rock Pillar in the Diverging Area of Road Tunnel", J. of the Korean Society for Rock Mech, Vol.24, No.5, pp.344-353.
- Kim, G.H., Choi, J.D., Jun, D.C., Shin, I.J., Sim, D.H. (2010), "A Case Study for the 1st Double-level Tunnel for Light vehicle in Urban Area in Korea", Korean Geotechnical Society, Fall National Conference, pp.1302-1313.
- Kim, H.M. (1997), "Effect of interference and Ground Movement by Twin Tunnelling", J. of the Korean Society for Rock Mech, Vol.7, pp.136-147.
- Matsuda, T. (1998), "Ground Behavior and Settlement Control of Twin Tunnels in Soil Ground" Tunnels and Metropolises, Vol.16, No.2, pp.1193-1198.
- Peck, R.B. (1969), "Deep excavations and tunneling in soft grounding". 7th Internation Conferences, Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, pp.225-290.
- Ryu, H.S. (2014), "The Stability Estimation of Near Parallel Tunnel Pillar at Multi-layered Soil with Shallow Depth", A master's thesis, Graduate School, Chungbuk National University.
- Sourcebook of Design Practical Affair for Tunnel. (2000), Korean Expressway Corporation.
- Standard Specification for Tunnel. (2009), Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs.
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korean government