- Volume 15 Issue 2
In this study, we constructed a database by collecting field pullout test data of the soil nailing using pressurized grouting, and suggested a method to estimate the ultimate pullout resistance using nonlinear regression analysis to overcome the problems of ultimate pullout resistance estimation using graphical methods. The load-displacement curve estimated by nonlinear regression showed a very high correlation with the field pullout test data. Estimated ultimate pullout load by nonlinear regression method was average 29% higher than estimated ultimate pullout load using previous graphical method. A sigmoidal growth model was found to be the best-fitting nonlinear regression model against rapid pullout failure. Further, an asymptotic regression model was found to be the best fit against progressive nail pullout. The unit ultimate skin friction suggested in this research reflected in the domestic geotechnical characteristics and the specifications of the pressurized grouting method. This research is expected to contribute towards establishing an independent design standard for the soil nailing by providing solutions to the problems that occur when using design charts based on foreign research.
Soil nailing;Nonlinear regression;Pressurized soil nailing;Pullout force;Pullout test
- Byun, J. K. (2001), A Study on Soil-Nail interaction Behavior, M.A Thesis, Pusan National University, Korea.
- Chin, F. K. (1971), "Pile Tests-Arkansas River Project", Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Division, ASCE, Vol.97, No.SM6, pp.930-932.
- Choi, D. N. (2007), Analysis of Reinforcement Mechanism of Pressure-Type Steel Pipe Nailing, Ph.D Thesis, Chungnam National University, Korea.
- Clouterre (1991), Recommandations CLOUTERRE 1991-Soil Nailing Recommendations 1991, English Translation, Presses de l'Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussees, Paris, France.
- Elias, V. and Juran, I. (1991), Soil Nailing for Stabilization of Highway Slopes and Excavations, Publication FHWA-RD-89-198, Federal Highway Administration, Washington D.C.
- Eo, G. (2016), Development of Rainfall-Flood Damage Estimation Function using Nonlinear Regression Equation, M.A Thesis, In-ha University, Korea.
- Gassler, G., and Gudehus, G. (1981), "Soil nailing-some aspect of a new technique.", Proceedings of Xth ICMSFE, Stockholm, pp.665-670.
- Guiloux, A. and Schlosser, F. (1984), "Soilnailing, practical application", Symposium on Soil and Rock Improvement Techniques, Geotextiles, Reinforcement Earth and Modern Piling Methods, Bangkok.
- Hagan, M. T., Demuth, H. P., and Beale, M. (1996), Neural Network Design, PWS Publishing, Boston.
- Hong, H. S. (2013), Analysis of the Behavior of Soil-nailing due to Pressurized Grouting by In-situ and Laboratory Model Tests, Sangmyung University, Korea.
- Jang, S. A. (2010), An Effect of the Soil Reinforcement by the Pretension Nail, Ulsan University, Korea.
- JHPC (2002), Design and Construction Guidelines for Reinforced Soil Structures, Japan Highway Public Corporation, Japan Road Association.
- Jung, Y. D. (2013), The Development of End-expended Soil Nailing Method for Ground Reinforcement and Its Behavior Characteristics and Estimation Equation Proposed, M.A Thesis, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology, Korea.
- KHC (2003), Guideline of Pullout Test for Slope Reinforcement Anchor and Nail, Korea Highway Corporation, South Korea, pp.4-19.
- Kim, B. S. (2003), A Study on Behavior Characteristics of the Pretension Soil Nailing System, M.A Thesis, Hongik University, Korea.
- Kim, J. S., Yi, C. T., Min, K. J., and Lee, S. (1999), "A Study on Load Transfer between Soil and Nail Using In-Situ Pull-out Tests", Conference of Korean Geotechnical Society, pp.9-16.
- Kim, K. H. (2010), An Estimation on the Pullout Resistance Characteristics of Pressurized Soil Nailing System, M.A Thesis, Cheongju University, Korea.
- Kim, H. J. (2013), Analysis of Reinforcement Mechanism of Precast Panel Retaining Wall Method Using Pressure-injected Grouting Steel Pipe Nailing, Ph.D Thesis, Chungnam National University, Korea.
- Kim, Y. G. (1999), Centrifuge Modeling of Soil Nailing System, Ph.D Thesis, Kangwon National University, Korea.
- KISTEC (2014), Construction Slope Reinforcement Anchor and Nail Designs Commentary, Korea Infrastructures Safety Coperation, South Korea, pp.17-38.
- Kondner, R. L. (1963), "Hyperbolic Stress-Strain Response: Cohesive Soils", Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Division, ASCE, Vol.89, No.SM1, pp.115-143.
- Kwon, J. O. (2013), Reinforced Effect of Extension Section for Steel Pipe Nail, M.A Thesis, Hanbat National University, Korea.
- Oh, J. Y. (2007), Behavior Analysis of Pretensioned Soil Nailing, M.A Thesis, University of Seoul, Korea.
- Park, J. M., Han, Y. B., and Jang, Y. S. (2013), "Estimation of Ultimate Bearing Capacity of Gravel Compaction Piles Using Nonlinear Regression Analysis", Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol.25, No.2, pp.112-121. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2013.25.2.112
- Park, J. S. (2007), Behavior Characteristics of the Pressurized Grouting Soil Nailing System from the Field Pull-out Tests, M.A Thesis, Hanyang University, Korea.
- Park, S. S. (2003), Stability Analysis and Application of the Pretensioned Soil Nailing Systems, Ph.D Thesis, Hongik University, Korea.
- Ryu, J. S. and Kim, S. Y. (1995), "A Study on the Vertical Bearing Capacity of Pile using the Maximum Curvature Method", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.11, No.4, pp.5-12.
- Schlosser, F. (1983), "Analogies et difference dan le component et le calcul des ourages de soutenement en terre armee et par clouage du sol", Sols et Fondations 184, Annales ITBTP, No.418, pp.8-23.
- Shen, C. K., Bang, S., and Hermann, L. R. (1981), "Ground movement analysis of earth support system", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering Division, Vol.107, No.GT12, pp.1609-1624.
- Stocker, M. F., Korber, G. W., Gassler, G., and Gudehus, G. (1979), "Soil Nailing", International Conference on Soil Reinforcement: Reinforced Earth and other Techniques, Paris, pp.469-474.
- Stuedlein, A. W. (2008), Bearing Capacity and Displacement of Spread Footings on Aggregate Pier Reinforced Clay, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Washington.
- Won, S. Y, Hwang, S. I, and Cho, N. J. (1996), "Yield Load Interpretation for Drilled Shaft Foundations by Hyperbolic-Approximation", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.12, No.6, pp.79-86.
- Youn, B. T. (2009), Field Application of the Pressurized Grouting Soil Nailing Systems, M.A Thesis, Hanyang University, Korea.
- Youn, D. K. (2002), A Study on the Behavior of Soil Nailing in Weathered Rock, M.A Thesis, Hankyung University, Korea.