- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Feeding behaviors of Cacopsylla pyricola (Hemiptera: Psyllidae) using electrical penetration graphs (EPGs)
- Received : 2016.03.04
- Accepted : 2016.03.31
- Published : 2016.06.30
The pear psylla, Cacopsylla pyricola, is a very small sap-feeding insect of many commercial pear varieties that could be considered the most serious insect pest of pear. Detailed information on plant penetration activities of the pear psylla is essential to study its feeding behavior used to evaluate resistant traits to chemical control. The application of the electrical penetration graph technique (EPG) could provide a relevant insight into the nature of this resistance. EPG waveforms of C. pyricola were characterized on the basis of amplitude, frequency, voltage level, and electrical origin. Feeding behaviors of C. pyricola were recorded and analyzed by EPG analysis. During EPG monitoring, waveform PA occurred at the start of stylet penetration of pear leaf epidermal cell. Waveform PB followed, in which stylet secreted saliva was observed. Waveforms PC1 and PC2 involved penetrating and sucking behaviors in parenchyma cells and vascular parenchyma, respectively. In addition, waveform PC1 represented salivation into bundle sheath cells and ingestion from parenchyma. Otherwise, behaviors of salivation into phloem and ingestion from phloem produced waveforms PE1 and PE2, respectively. On the other hand, ingestion from xylem tissues showed waveform PG. Among the feeding patterns of C. pyricola described above, phloem feeding patterns occurred most frequently, followed by xylem feeding and parenchyma penetration patterns in descending order.
Cacopsylla pyricola;electrical penetration graph (EPG);feeding behavior;pear psylla
- Alden A, Seney H. 1991. Integrated pest management for apples and pears. (eds.) pp. 214. University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Beers EH, Brunner JH, Willett MJ, Warner GM. 1993. Orchard pest management: A resource book for the Pacific Northwest. (eds.) pp. 276. Good Fruit Grower, Yakima, Washington.
- Bonani JP, Fereres A, Garzo E, Miranda MP, Appezzato-Da-Gloria B, Lopes JRS. 2010. Characterization of electrical penetration graphs of the Asian citrus psyllid, Diaphorina citi, in sweet orange seedlings. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 134:35-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.2009.00937.x
- Chang VCS. 1978. Feeding activities of the sugarcane leafhopper: Identification of electronically recorded waveforms. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 71:31-36. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/71.1.31
- Civolani S, Leis M, Grandi G, Garzo E, Pasqualini E, Musacchi S, Chicca M, Castaldelli G, Rossi R, Tjallingii WF. 2011. Stylet penetration of Cacopsylla pyri; an electrical penetration graph (EPG) study. Journal of Insect Physiology 57:1407-1419. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinsphys.2011.07.008
- Etienne JC, Nguyen TX, Burts EC. 1922. Susceptibility of Cacopsylla pyri and C. pyricola to avermectin B1 applied topically and as residues on pear foliage. Journal of Economic Entomology 85:182-186.
- Hibino H, Kaloostian GH, Schneider H. 1971. Mycoplasma-like bodies in the pear psylla vector of pear decline. Virology 43:34-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/0042-6822(71)90221-2
- Jassen JAM, Tjallingii WF, van Lenteren JC. 1989. Electrical recording and ultrastructure of stylet penetration by the greenhouse whitefly. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 52:69-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1989.tb01250.x
- Jensen DD, Griggs WH, Gonzales CQ, Schneider H. 1964. Pear decline virus transmission by pear psylla. Journal of Phytopathology 54:1345-1351.
- Jeon HY, Kim DS, Cho MR, Yiem MS, Chang YD. 2000. Recent status of major fruit tree pest occurrences in Korea. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology 41:607-612. [in Korean]
- Kawabe S, McLean DL. 1978. Electronically recorded wave forms associated with salivation and ingestion behaviour of the Aster leafhopper, Macrosteles fascifrons Stal (Homoptera: Cicadellidae). Applied Entomology and Zoology 13:143-148. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.13.143
- Khan ZR, Saxena RC. 1984. Electronically recorded waveforms associated with the feeding behaviour of Sogatella furcifera (Homoptera: Delphacidae) on susceptible and resistant rice varieties. Journal of Economic Entomology 77:1479-1482. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/77.6.1479
- Khan ZR, Saxena RC. 1985. Mode of feeding and growth of Nephotettix virescens (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) on selected resistant and susceptible rice varieties. Journal of Economic Entomology 78:583-587. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/78.3.583
- Kim DS, Cho MR, Jeon HY, Yiem MS, Lee JH. 2000. Population trends and temperature-dependent development of pear psylla, Cacopsylla pyricola (Foester) (Homoptera: Psyllidae). Korean Journal of Applied Entomology 39:73-82. [in Korean]
- Kim NS, Seo MJ, Youn YN. 2005. Characteristics of feeding behavior of the rice brown planthopper, Nilaparvata lugens, using electrical penetration graph (EPG) technique on different rice varieties. Korean Journal of Applied Entomology 44:177-187. [in Korean]
- Kimmins FM. 1989. Electrical penetration graphs from Nilaparvata lugens on resistant and susceptible rice varieties. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 50:69-79. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1989.tb02317.x
- Kwon HR, Youn YN. 2014. Feeding Behaviors of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) and Changing of Feeding Behaviors to Cyantraniliprole. CNU Journal of Agricultural Science 41:119-124. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2014.41.2.119
- Lei H, Tjallingii WF, van Lenteren JC, Xu RM. 1996. Stylet penetration by larvae of the greenhouse whitefly on cucumber. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 79:77-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1996.tb00811.x
- Mclean DL, Kinsey MG. 1964. A technique for electronically recording aphid feeding and salivation. Nature (London) 202:1358-1359. https://doi.org/10.1038/2021358a0
- Mclean DL, Kinsey MG. 1965. Identification of electrically recorded curve patterns associated with aphid salivation and ingestion. Nature 205:1130-1131. https://doi.org/10.1038/2051130a0
- Mclean DL, Kinsey MG. 1967. Probing behavior of the pea aphid, Acyrthosiphon pisum. I. Definite correlations of electronically recorded waveforms with aphid probing activities. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 60:400-405. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/60.2.400
- Miranda MP, Fereres A, Appezzato-da-Gloria B, Lopes JRS. 2009. Characterization of electrical penetration graphs of Bucephalogonia xanthophis, a vector of Xylella fastidiosa in citrus. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 130:35-46. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.2008.00794.x
- Seo BY, Kwon YH, Jung JK, Kim GH. 2009a. Electrical penetration graphic waveforms in relation to the actual positions of the stylet tips of Nilaparvata lugens in rice tissue. Journal of Asia-Pacific Entomology 12:89-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2009.02.002
- Seo MJ, Kang MK, Seok HB, Cho CW, Choi JS, Jang C, Hwang IC, Yu YM, Youn YN. 2009b. Characteristics of feeding hehaviors of Myzus pericae (Hemiptera: Aphididae) depending on inflow concentrations of dinotefuran. Korean Journal of Applied Entomology 48:171-178. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2009.48.2.171
- Seo MJ, Oh YJ, Yoon CM, Youn YN, Kim GH. 2007. Differentiation in feeding behaviour of biotypes B and Q of Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) against three insecticides. Korean Journal of Applied Entomology 46:401-408. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2007.46.3.401
- Spiller NJ. 1988. Electronic recording of plant penetration by the cereal aphids Rhopalosiphum padi and Metropolophium dirhodum on resistant and susceptible wheat seedings. Annals of Applied Biology 112:471-478. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7348.1988.tb02084.x
- Stafford CA, Walker GP, Creamer R. 2009. Stylet penetration behavior resulting in inoculation of beet severe curly top virus by beet leafhopper, Circulifer tenellus. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 130:130-137. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.2008.00813.x
- Tjallingii WF. 1978. Electronic recording of plant penetration behaviour by aphids. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 24:721-730. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1978.tb02836.x
- Tjallingii WF. 1985a. Electrical nature of recorded signals during stylet penetration by aphids. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 38:177-186. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1985.tb03516.x
- Tjallingii WF. 1985b. Membrane potentials as an indication for plant cell penetration by aphids. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 38:187-193. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1985.tb03517.x
- Tjallingii WF. 1988. Electrical recording of stylet penetration activities. Aphids, their Biology, Natural Enemies and Control. Vol. 2B edited by AKMinks & PHarrewijn. pp. 95-108. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Velusamy R, Heinrichs EA. 1986. Electronic monitoring of feeding behavior of Nilaparvata lugens (Homoptera: Delphacidae) on resistant and susceptible rice cultivars. Environmental Entomology 15:678-682. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/15.3.678
- Yang JO, Kim EH, Yoon CM, Ahn KS, Kim GH. 2009. Comparison of Feeding Behavior of B and Q biotypes of Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) against Red Peeper and Tomato Varieties. Korean Journal of Applied Entomology 48:179-188. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2009.48.2.179
- Youn YN, Backus EA, Serikawa RH, Stelinski LL. 2011. Correlation of an electrical penetration graph waveform with walking by Asian citrus psyllid, Diaphorina citri (Hemiptera: Psyllidae). Florida Entomologist 94:1084-1087. https://doi.org/10.1653/024.094.0456
- Youn YN, Chang YD. 1993. Electrical feeding patterns and stylet movement of rice brown planthopper, Nilaparvata lugens (Homoptera), in the rice tissues. Korean Journal of Applied Entomology 32:208-217. [in Korean]
- Youn YN. 1998. Electrically recorded feeding behavior of Nephotettix cincticeps. Journal of Asia-Pacific Entomology 1:147-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1226-8615(08)60016-3
- Changed in Feeding Behavior of Cacopsylla pyricola Foerster(Hemiptera: Psyllidae) and Activities of Several Insecticides vol.20, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2016.20.1.72