- Volume 43 Issue 2
Recently, research has been focusing on high quality and safer animal production by utilizing natural functional materials. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of administration of natural Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) on gamma linolenic acid (GLA) levels in milk from Holstein dairy cows. Quality and quantity of milk as well as blood and fatty acids from Holstein cow fed diets supplemented with 2.7-4% calcium-salted EPO coated with palm stearin oil were analyzed. There was no significant difference in yield and composition of milk between control and EPO treatment. However, EPO treatment lowered blood aspartate aminotransferase (AST), somatic cell count (SCC), and cholesterol levels (p < 0.05) compared to untreated control. Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) level was decreased (p < 0.05) in GLA 1 and GLA 2 group when compared with control group. Non-esterified fatty acids (NEFA) concentration was lower (p < 0.05) in GLA 1 and GLA 2 groups than in control group. The level of GLA in milk was increased in EPO group when compared to control. Therefore, results from the present study demonstrate that supplementary EPO has beneficial effects on cow health, showing a decrease in somatic cell count and levels of blood cholesterol, alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and AST. Furthermore, supplementation of EPO improves milk quality with increased amounts of GLA.
evening primrose;functional milk;GLA;healthiness
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th edition. Association of Official analytical chemist, Washington DC, USA.
- Barre DE, Holub BJ. 1992. The effect of borage oil consumption on the composition of individual phospholipids in human platelets. Lipids 27:315-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02536143
- Brosche T, Platt D. 2000. Effect of borage oil consumption on fatty acid metabolism, transepidermal water loss and skin parameters in elderly people. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics 30:139-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4943(00)00046-7
- Bu DP, Wang JQ, Dhiman TR, Liu SJ. 2007. Effectiveness of oils rich in linoleic and linolenic acids to enhance conjugated linoleic acid in milk from dairy cows. Journal Dairy Science 90:998-1007. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(07)71585-0
- Calder PC. 2001. Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, and immunity. Lipids 36:1007-1024. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-001-0812-7
- Covar R, Gleason M, Macomber B, Stewart L, Szefler P, Engelhardt K, Murphy J, Liu A, Wood S, DeMichele S. 2010. Impact of a novel nutritional formula on asthma control and biomarkers of allergic airway inflammation in children. Clinical and Experimental Allergy 40:1163-1174. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2010.03523.x
- Das UN. 2007. Gamma-linolenic acid therapy of human glioma-a review of in vitro, in vivo, and clinical studies. Med Science Monitor 13:119-131.
- Dhiman TR, Cadomiga C, Satter LD. 1993. Protein and energy supplementation of high alfalfa silage diets during early lactation. Journal of Dairy Science 76:1945-1959. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77528-1
- Fan YY, Ramos KS, Chapkin RS. 2001. Dietary gamma-linolenic acid suppresses aortic smooth muscle cell proliferation and modifies atherosclerotic lesions in apolipoprotein E knockout mice. Journal of Nutrition 131:1675-1681. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.6.1675
- Folch J, Lees M, Sloane Stanley GH. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry 226:497-509.
- Horrobin DF. 2000. Essential fatty acid metabolism and its modification in atopic eczema. The American Journal Clinical Nutrition 71:367-372. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/71.1.367s
- Horsfield S, Infield JM, Annison EF. 1974. Compartmental analysis and model building in the study of glucose kinetics in the lactating cow. Proceeding of The Nutrition Society 33:9-15. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS19740003
- Huang YS, Manku MS, Horrobin DF. 1984. The effects of dietary cholesterol on blood and liver polyunsaturated fatty acids and on plasma cholesterol in rats fed various types of fatty acid diet. Lipids 19:664-672. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02534526
- Huang YS, Ziboh VA. 2001. Gamma-Linolenic Acid: Recent Advances in Biotechnology and Clinical Applications. AOCS Press. p. 256.
- Iijima S, Otsuka F, Kikuchi H, Yamada K, Nakajima T, Yahiro K, Kondo A. 2000. Oral supplementation with gamma-linolenic acid extracted from Mucor circinelloides improves the deformability of red blood cells in hemodialysis patients. Nephron 86:122-128. https://doi.org/10.1159/000045729
- Jorjong S, van Knegsel AT, Verwaeren J, Lahoz MV, Bruckmaier RM, De Baets B, Kemp B, Fievez V. 2014. Milk fatty acids as possible biomarkers to early diagnose elevated concentrations of blood plasma nonesterified fatty acids in dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science 97:7054-7064. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-8039
Kang HK, Park BS. 2007. Effects of Dietary
$\gamma$-Fatty Acids on the Fatty Acid Composition of Pork and Plasma Lipids in Swine. Korean Journal Animal Nutrition Feed 16:105-114. [in Korean]
- Kapoor R, Huang YS. 2006. Gamma linolenic acid: an anti-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acid. Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology 7:531-534. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920106779116874
- Knowlton KF, Dawson TE, Glenn BP, Huntington GB, Erdman RA. 1998. Glucose metabolism and milk yield of cows infused abomasally or ruminally with starch. Journal of Dairy Science 81:3248-3258. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75889-8
- Kong X, Ge H, Chen L, Liu Z, Yin Z, Li P, Li M. 2009. Gamma-linolenic acid modulates the response of multidrug-resistant K562 leukemic cells to anticancer drugs. Toxicology In Vitro 23:634-639. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2009.02.010
- Lu H, Li JN, Chai YR, Zhang XK. 2009. Identification and characterization of a novel delta6-fatty acid desaturase gene from Rhizopus nigricans. Molecular Biology Reports 36:2291-2297. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-009-9447-0
- Monteiro ACG, Santos-Silva J, Bessa RJB, Navas DR, Lemos JPC. 2006. Fatty acid composition of intramuscular fat of bulls and steers. Livestock Science 99:13-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2005.04.010
- Nelson JL, DeMichele SJ, Pacht ER, Wennberg AK, Grp ENAS. 2003. Effect of enteral feeding with eicosapentaenoic acid, gamma-linolenic acid, and antioxidants on antioxidant status in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 27:98-104. https://doi.org/10.1177/014860710302700298
- Oltner R and Wiktorsson H. 1983. Urea concentrations in milk and blood as influenced by feeding varying amounts of protein and energy to dairy cows. Livestock Production Science 10:457-467. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(83)90073-8
- Park SO, Hwangbo J, Yuh IS, and Park BS. 2014. Gamma-linolenic acid egg production enriched with hemp seed oil and evening primrose oil in diet of laying hens. Journal of Environmental Biology 35:635-640.
- RDA. 2007. Korean Feeding Standard (Swine). Rural Development Administration. [in Korean]
- Schirmer MA, Phinney SD. 2007. Gamma-linolenate reduces weight regain in formerly obese humans. Journal of Nutrition 137:1430-1435. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/137.6.1430
- Senapati S, Banerjee S, Gangopadhyay DN. 2008. Evening primrose oil is effective in atopic dermatitis: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Indian Journal of Dermatology Venereology Leprology 74:447-452. https://doi.org/10.4103/0378-6323.42645
- Serini S, Piccioni E, Merendino N, Calviello G. 2009. Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids as inducers of apoptosis: implications for cancer. Apoptosis 14:135-152. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10495-008-0298-2
- Takai S, Jin D, Kawashima H, Kimura M, Shiraishi-Tateishi A, Tanaka T, Kakutani S, Tanaka K, Kiso Y, Miyazaki M. 2009. Anti-atherosclerotic effects of dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid in ApoE-deficient mice. Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis 16:480-489. https://doi.org/10.5551/jat.No430
- Tshuma T, Holm DE, Fosgate GT, Lourens DC. 2014. Pre-breeding blood urea nitrogen concentration and reproductive performance of Bonsmara heifers within different management systems. Tropical animal health and production 46:1023-1030. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-014-0608-3
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. Journal of Dairy Science 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Yoon JT, Lee H, Kim CK, Chung YC, Kim C-H. 2004 Effects of Milk Production, Season, Parity and Lactation Period on Variations of Milk Urea Nitrogen Concentration and Milk Components of Holstein Dairy Cows. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Science 17:479-484. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.479
Supported by : 한우연구소