- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A survey on the perception of China private antidesertification afforestation support project and evaluation
- Received : 2016.03.08
- Accepted : 2016.06.29
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study is to evaluate the 'Private antidesertification afforestation support project' in the Kubuqi Desert through a survey of local residents and interviews with relevant personnel. Based on this survey, gender, age, and occupational differences in perception of the project were analyzed. In addition, the project was evaluated based on the OECD/DAC criteria using survey results and in-depth interviews with the relevant personnel. The survey analysis results show that the participants answered most of the questions positively, claiming that they were receiving social, economic, and environmental benefits through the project. However, most of the participants answered negatively to questions regarding the understanding of the project and relevant information. Gender differences in perception of the project were not found, whereas, age and occupational differences in perception were found. Older age groups showed higher levels of perception. Participants in the agro-livestock industry and office workers showed higher levels of perception compared to middle/high school students, the unemployed and college students. Teenagers, in particular, showed the lowest level of perception of the project, and thus, promotional activities targeting teenagers should be conducted in the future. Results of this evaluation of the project based on the OECD/DAC's five criteria (relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact, and sustainability) showed that the project operated effectively for the most part.
combating desertification;desertification;Kubuqi desert;private antidesertification afforestation
- Babbie ER. 2015. The practice of social research. pp. 5-29. Wadsworth publishing, Belmont, CA.
- Bak MS. 2008. Future forest, Korea-China friendship green great wall. pp. 42-74. Monthly Event, Korea.
- Boone HN, Boone DA. 2012. Analyzing likert data. Journal of extension 50:1-5.
- Dalgaard CJ, Hansen H, Tarp F. 2004. On the empirics of foreign aid and growth. The Economic Journal 114:191-216. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2004.00219.x
- KFRI (Korea Forest Research Institute). 2004. A study on the causes and countermeasure of desertification in Northeast Asia.
- Martens B. 2002. The role of evaluation in foreign aid programmes. pp. 154-177. Cambridge University publishing, Cambridge, UK.
- SFA (State Foresty Administration, P. R. China). 2011, A bulletin of status quo of desertification and sandification in China.
- UNCCD (United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification). 1994. United Nations convention to combat desertification in countries experiencing serious drought and/or desertification, particularly in Africa.
- UNCCD (United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification). 2004. Preserving our common ground. UNCCD 10 years on.
- Xiao J, Shen Y, Tateishi R, Bayaerc W. 2006. Development of topsoil grain size index for monitoring desertification in arid land using remote sensing. International of Remote Sensing 27:2411-2422. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160600554363
- Bair JH. 2006. The status and prevention measures of desertification in China. The Society for Forests and Culture 15:16-24.