- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Virtual Reality-Based Exercise on Balance, Gait, and Falls Efficacy in Patients with Parkinson's Disease: A pilot study
가상현실 기반 운동이 파킨슨병 환자의 균형, 보행 및 낙상효능감에 미치는 영향: 예비연구
- Received : 2015.12.05
- Accepted : 2016.06.23
- Published : 2016.06.30
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to identify whether virtual reality-based exercise could improve on balance, gait and fall efficacy in patients with Parkinson's disease. Methods : Ten patients with Parkinson's disease were randomly divided into either an experimental or control group. The experimental subjects performed vertual reality-based exercise, whereas the control subjects performed conventional physical therapy for 4 weeks. The balance, gait and fall efficacy of all subjects were assessed by using the Measurement Training and Documentation (MTD) balance system, force platform system, Korean version of Berg Balance scale (K-BBS), 6 Minute Walk Test (6MWT), and Korean version of Fall efficacy scale (K-FES) at pre training and post training. Wilcoxon signed rank test was used to analyze change before and after intervention in intra-group. Mann Whitney U test was used to analyze changes of all variables in inter-groups. Results : Subjects in the experimental group showed significant improvements in difference of weight distribution, K-BBS scores, antero-posterior and medio-lateral sway length, ground reaction force (GRF), 6MWT, and step length following training. The changes of difference of weight distribution, K-BBS scores, AP Sway Length, GRF, 6MWT, step length and K-FES scores in the experimental group were significantly more than them of the control group. Conclusion : The result of this study suggest that virtual reality-based exercise training is an intervention to improve on balance, gait, and falls efficacy in patients with Parkinson's disease.
balance;gait;fall efficacy;Parkinson's disease;virtual reality-based exercise
- 건강보험공단(2012). 노인성 질환, 더 이상 노인들만의 고통이 아니다!. 국민건강보험공단 홈페이지. http://www.nhis.or.kr/portal/site/main.
- 박창식, 강권영(2011). 시각적 바이오피드백 시뮬레이션 훈련이 불완전 척수손상환자의 균형에 미치는 효과. 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 11(11), 194-203.
- 송경애, 문정순, 이광수(2004). 파키슨병 환자의 낙상에 미치는 요인. 한국간호과학회지, 34(6), 1081-1091.
- 송창호, 신원섭, 이경진 등(2009). 비디오 게임을 이용한 가상현실 운동 프로그램이 노인의 근력, 균형 및 보행에 미치는 영향. 한국노년학, 29(4), 1261-1275.
- 양창수, 임비오(2013). 파킨슨 환자의 재활훈련 프로그램이 보행에 미치는 효과. 한국체육학회지-자연과학, 52(3), 507-516.
- 오형택(2012). 시각적 바이오피드백과 고유수용성 훈련이 슬관절 전치환술 환자의 통증과 균형에 미치는 영향. 대구대학교 대학원, 미간행석사학위 논문.
- 임비오, 김미영. (2007). 파킨슨 환자들의 장애물 보행 향상을 위한 하지의 근육 활동 규명. 한국운동역학회지, 17(4), 141-148.
- 통계청(2013). 국가 통계 포털 홈페이지. http://kosis.kr/.
- Adkin AL, Frank JS, Jog MS(2003). Fear of falling and postural control in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord, 18(5), 496-502. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.10396
- Assad O, Hermann R, Lilla D, et al(2011). Motion-based games for Parkinson's disease patients. In Entertainment Computing-ICEC 2011 (pp. 47-58). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Breniere Y, Cuong DM, Bouisset S(1987). Are dynamic phenomena prior to stepping essential to walking?. J Motor Behav, 19(1), 62-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222895.1987.10735400
- Brod M, Mendelsohn GA, Roberts B(1998). Patients' experiences of Parkinson's disease. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychol Sci Social Sci, 53(4), 213-222.
- Brosnan S(2009). The potential of Wii-rehabilitation for persons recovering from acute stroke. Phys Disabil Special Interest Section Quarterly, 32(1), 1-3.
- Brunt D, Lafferty MJ, Mckeon A, et al(1991). Invariant characteristics of gait initiation. Am J Phys Med Rehabil, 70(4), 206-212. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-199108000-00009
- Cakit BD, Saracoglu M, Genc H, et al(2007). The effects of incremental speed-dependent treadmill training on postural instability and fear of falling in Parkinson's disease. Clin Rehabil, 21(8), 698-705. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215507077269
- Falvo MJ, Earhart GM(2009). Six-minute walk distance in persons with Parkinson disease: a hierarchical regression model. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 90(6), 1004-1008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2008.12.018
- Flynn S, Palma P, Bender A(2007). Feasibility of using the Sony playstation 2 gaming platform for an individual poststroke: a case report. J Neurol Phys Ther, 31(4), 180-189. https://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0b013e31815d00d5
- Franchignoni F, Martignoni E, Ferriero G, et al(2005). Balance and fear of falling in Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism & Related Disord, 11(7), 427-433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parkreldis.2005.05.005
- Hamel MF, Lajoie Y(2005). Mental imagery. Effects on static balance and attentional demands of the elderly. Aging Clin Exp Res, 17(3), 223-228. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03324601
- Hayes HB, Chang YH, Hochman S(2009). An in vitro spinal cord-hindlimb preparation for studying behaviorally relevant rat locomotor function. J Neurophysiol, 101(2), 1114-1122. https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.90523.2008
- Hertz NB, Mehta SH, Sethi KD, et al(2013). Nintendo Wii rehabilitation ("Wii-hab") provides benefits in Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism & Related Disord, 19(11), 1039-1042. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parkreldis.2013.07.014
- Hirsch MA, Toole T, Maitland CG, et al(2003). The effects of balance training and high-intensity resistance training on persons with idiopathic Parkinson's disease. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 84(8), 1109-1117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00046-7
- Hur JH, Lim SK, Lee DH(2010). Development of the korean falls efficacy scale (FES-K) for the elderly. Korean J Phys Educ, 49(3), 193-201.
- Keller TS, Weisberger AM, Ray JL, et al(1996). Relationship between vertical ground reaction force and speed during walking, slow jogging, and running. Clin Biomech, 11(5), 253-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/0268-0033(95)00068-2
- Mendes FADS, Pompeu JE, Lobo AM, et al(2012). Motor learning, retention and transfer after virtual-reality-based training in Parkinson's disease-effect of motor and cognitive demands of games: a longitudinal, controlled clinical study. Physiother, 98(3), 217-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2012.06.001
- Mhatre PV, Vilares I, Stibb SM, et al(2013). Wii fit balance board playing improves balance and gait in Parkinson Disease. PM&R, 5(9), 769-777. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmrj.2013.05.019
- Miyai I, Fujimoto Y, Ueda Y, et al(2000). Treadmill training with body weight support: its effect on Parkinson's disease. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 81(7), 849-852. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2000.4439
- Qutubuddin AA, Pegg PO, Cifu DX, et al(2005). Validating the Berg balance scale for patients with Parkinson's disease: a key to rehabilitation evaluation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 86(4), 789-792. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2004.11.005
- Rose FD, Brooks BM, Attree EA, et al(1999). A preliminary investigation into the use of virtual environments in memory retraining after vascular brain injury: indications for future strategy?. Disabil Rehabil, 21(12), 548-554. https://doi.org/10.1080/096382899297206
- Sackley CM, Lincoln NB(1997). Single blind randomized controlled trial of visual feedback after stroke: effects on stance symmetry and function. Disabil Rehabil, 19(12), 536-546. https://doi.org/10.3109/09638289709166047
- Scandalis TA, Bosak A, Berliner JC, et al(2001). Resistance training and gait function in patients with Parkinson's disease. Am J Phys Med Rehabil, 80(1), 38-43. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-200101000-00011
- Shumway-Cook A, Anson D, Haller S(1988). Postural sway biofeedback: its effect on reestablishing stance stability in hemiplegic patients. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 69(6), 395-400.
- Silsupadol P, Shumway-Cook A, Lugade V, et al(2009). Effects of single-task versus dual-task training on balance performance in older adults: a double-blind, randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 90(3), 381-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2008.09.559
- Swisher AK, Goldfarb AH(1998). Use of the six-minute walk/run test to predict peak oxygen consumption in older adults. Cardiopulmonary Phys Ther J, 9(3), 3-5.
- Thaut MH, McIntosh GC, Rice RR, et al(1996). Rhythmic auditory stimulation in gait training for Parkinson's disease patients. Mov Disord, 11(2), 193-200. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.870110213
- Tinetti ME, Richman D, Powell L(1990). Falls efficacy as a measure of fear of falling. J Gerontol, 45(6), 239-243. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/45.6.P239
- Zettergren K, Franca J, Antunes M, et al(2011). The effects of Nintendo Wii Fit training on gait speed, balance, functional mobility and depression in one person with Parkinson's disease. Med Health Sci J, 9, 18-24. https://doi.org/10.15208/mhsj.2011.174
- Zhai HH, Wang YL, Wang YZ, et al(2005). Validity and Sensitivity of MTD-balance Systems in the Assessment of Balance Function. Shenzhen J Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Med, 2, 002.