- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of a Regular Walking Program on Body Composition, Functional Fitness, and Anxiety and Depression in Elderly Women
여성노인의 규칙적인 걷기운동이 신체조성, 기능성 체력, 그리고 불안과 우울에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.04.25
- Accepted : 2016.06.23
- Published : 2016.06.30
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of a 5 week walking program on body composition and functional fitness, as well as its effects on anxiety and depression in elderly women by regular walking exercise(RWE), which helps to provide proper treatment program to them. Method : The 32 subjects who had a regular walking exercise in this research and randomly assigned into two groups, a walking group and a control group. 15 subjects in the experimental group who had RWE. The 17 subjects in the control group who did not have walking exercise. The members of exercise group had walking 50 minutes a day, three times a week, for 5 weeks in same conditions. Results : After RWE, The participants showed lower body weight, body fat mass, % fat, BMI, wast-hip ratio in the walking program. Muscle mass and basic metabolic rate significantly increased after completing the walking program. The health-related physical fitness of the walking group, flexibility and static balance ability were significantly increased. elderly women taking RWE showed significant decreases in the anxiety and depression levels. Conclusion : Findings of this study indicated that A RWE program had favorable effect on body composition, functional fitness, and depression and anxiety in elderly women. Future research needs to target various elderly women groups of a long period.
body composition;functional fitness;anxiety and depression;elderly women;regular walking exercise
- 김은희(2003). 중년 비만 여성을 대상으로 한 운동, 식이, 영양 및 행동수정요법의 효과. 대한운동사회 스포츠건강의학학술지, 13, 85-90.
- 김창균, 최승철(2002). 장기간 지속적 운동이 중년여성의 신체구성과 혈청지질 및 복부내장지방에 미치는 영향. 한국사회체육학회지, 17, 735-744.
- 보건복지부(2015). 노인 인구조사.
- 신윤희, 최영희(1996). 걷기운동프로그램이 노인여성의 심폐기능, 유연성에 미치는 효과. 대한간호학회지, 26(2), 372-386.
- 양정희(2012). 낙상예방. 노인병, 14(1), 8-17.
- 오상부, 이현철, 이삼철(2013). 수중운동 프로그램 참여가 여성노인의 하지근력과 균형 및 보행능력에 미치는 영향. 대한물리치료과학회지, 20(1), 89-98.
- 임재영, 박원범, 오민균 등(2010). 한국 노인의 낙상 실태와 위험요인: 일부 지역의 인구비례 할당 표본조사. 노인병, 14(1), 8-17.
- 현경선, 원정숙, 김원옥 등(2009). 단전호흡운동 프로그램이 노인의 폐활량, 체력, 불안 및 우울에 미치는 영향. 지역사회간호학회지, 20(4), 474-482.
- American College of Sports Medicine(1991). Guidline for exercise testing and prescription, 4th ed, Pennsylvania, Lea & Febiger Co.
- Ahn SH(2007). Effects of walking on cardiovascular risk factors and psychosocial outcomes in postmenopausal obese women. J Korean Acad Nurs, 37(4), 519-528. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.4.519
- Chang CM, Kang HS(2004). Physical function and physiological status in the elderly those who experienced a fall or not. Korean J Rehabil Nurs, 7(1), 48-57.
- Gu MO, Jeon MY, Kim HJ, et al(2005). A review of exercise interventions for fall prevention in the elderly. J Korean Acad Nurs, 35(6), 1101-1112. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1101
- Hyun KS(2001). The effect of the Danjeon breathing exercise program applied to health promotion in women in midlife. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs, 13(3), 373-384.
- Hyun KS, Kang HS, Ahn DH(2000). A comparison of physical health, anxiety and depression between the danjeon breathing trained group and non-trained group. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs, 12(2), 245-255.
- Kim BY, Cho HC(2007). The effects of walking exercise on the cardiovascular function and respiratory function in elderly women. J Korea Sport Lei Stud, 31, 911-920.
- Kim CM(2008). The effects of walking on the physical health of residents in rural areas. J Korea Comm Nurs, 19(3), 349-357
- Kim KI, Kim JH, Won HT(1984). Korean manual of symptom checklist-90-reversion. Seoul, Chungang Aptitude Publishing Co.
- Lee EO, Lim NY, Park HA(1998). Nursing.medical research and statistical analysis. 3rd ed, Seoul, Soomoonsa.
- Lee MS(2005). Depression. in korean geriatrics society 2nd ed. Textbook of geriatric medicine. Seoul, Medical Publishing Co, pp.720-753.
- Mun YH(2006). The effects of an exercise program on the physical, physiological and emotional status of the aged. J Korea Comm Nurs, 17(4), 451-460.
- Park H, Park K(2008). The mediating effect of depression in the relationship between muscle strength of extremities and falls among community-dwelling elderly. J Korean Acad Nurs, 38(5), 730-738. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.5.730
- Pyo NS, Kim YB, Choi YG(1997). Effects of danjeon breathing on anxiety, heart rate, blood pressure, and EEG. Korean J Sport Psychol, 8(1), 45-55.
- Rikli R, Jones CJ(2001). Senior fitness test manual. Champaign, Human Kinetics.
- Son JU, Lee JH(2006). Effect of the walking exercise on physiological index, physical fitness, self esteem, depression and life satisfaction in the institutionalized elderly Women. J Korea Comm Nurs, 17(1), 5-16.
- Wagner DR, Heyward VH(2000). Measures of body composition in blacks and whites: a comparative review1, 2. Am J Clin Nutr, 71(6), 1392-1402. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/71.6.1392
- Yi G, Kim H(2000). Depression and anxiety in community dwelling older persons of korea. J Korea Gerontolog Soc, 20(2), 109-121.
- 통계청(2015). http://kosat.go.kr.