- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Incidence and Mortality of Liver Cancer and its Relationship with Development in Asia
- Mohammadian, Maryam ;
- Soroush, Ali ;
- Mohammadian-Hafshejani, Abdollah ;
- Towhidi, Farhad ;
- Hadadian, Fatemeh ;
- Salehiniya, Hamid
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: Liver cancer (LC) is the sixth world most common cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death. Due to the importance and necessity of awareness about the incidence and mortality of diseases to perform prevention programs, this study focused on data for LC and its relationship with the human development index (HDI) and its components in Asia in 2012. Materials and Methods: This ecological study was based on GLOBOCAN data for Asian countries. We assessed correlations between standardized incidence rates (SIR) and standardized mortality rates (SMR) of LC with HDI and its components using of SPSS18. Results: A total of 582,420 incident cases and 557,097 deaths were recorded in Asian countries in 2012. The five with the highest SIR were Mongolia, Lao PDR, Vietnam, Republic of Korea and Thailand and those with the highest SMR were Mongolia, Lao PDR, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. A negative relation was observed between HDI and LC for SIR of 0.049 (P=0.748) and for SMR of 0.07 (P=0.645), with life expectancy at birth a positive relation for SIR of 0.061 (P=0.687) and a negative relation for SMR of 0.079 (P=0.603), with the average years of education a negative relation fo SIR of 0.476 (p=0.952) and for SMR of 0.032 (P=0.832), and with the country income level per person a negative relation for SMI of 0.11 (p=0.465) and for SMR of 0.113 (P=0.455). Conclusions: The incidence of LC is more in less developed and developing countries but statistically significant correlations were not found between standardized incidence and mortality rates of LC, and HDI and its dimensions.
Human development index;liver cancer;incidence;mortality;Asia;epidemiology
- Bray F, Jemal A, Grey N, et al (2012). Global cancer transitions according to the Human Development Index (2008-2030): a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 13, 790-801. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70211-5
- Bray F, Moller B (2006). Predicting the future burden of cancer. Nature Reviews Cancer, 6, 63-74. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1781
- Chang M-H, Chen C-J, Lai M-S, et al (1997). Universal hepatitis B vaccination in Taiwan and the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in children. New Engl J Med, 336, 1855-9. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199706263362602
- Chao SD, Chang ET, Le PV, et al (2009). The Jade Ribbon Campaign: a model program for community outreach and education to prevent liver cancer in Asian Americans. J Immigrant Minority Health, 11, 281-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-007-9094-2
- Dasgupta P, Weale M (1992). On measuring the quality of life. World Development, 20, 119-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-750X(92)90141-H
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2016). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2013.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. International J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al (2015). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. International J Cancer, 136, 359-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.29210
- Fitzmaurice C, Dicker D, Pain A, et al (2015). The global burden of cancer 2013. JAMA Oncol, 1, 505-27. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2015.0735
- Franceschi S, Wild CP (2013). Meeting the global demands of epidemiologic transition?the indispensable role of cancer prevention. Molecular Oncol, 7, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molonc.2012.10.010
- Ghoncheh M, Mirzaei M, Salehiniya H (2015a). Incidence and mortality of breast cancer and their relationship with the human development index (HDI) in the World in 2012. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 8439-43.
- Ghoncheh M, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Salehiniya H (2015b). Incidence and mortality of breast cancer and their relationship to development in Asia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 6081-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6081
- Hall AJ, Wild CP (2003). Liver cancer in low and middle income countries: prevention should target vaccination, contaminated needles, and aflatoxins. BMJ: British Medical J, 326, 994. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.326.7397.994
- He W-J, Xu M-Y, Xu R-R, et al (2013). Inpatients' knowledge about primary liver cancer and hepatitis. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 4913-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4913
- Hu Q-D, Zhang Q, Chen W, et al (2013). Human development index is associated with mortality-to-incidence ratios of gastrointestinal cancers. World J Gastroenterol, 19, 5261. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v19.i32.5261
- Lee C-L, Ko Y-C (1998). Survival and distribution pattern of childhood liver cancer in Taiwan. European J Cancer, 34, 2064-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(98)00281-0
- Liver EAFTSOT (2012). EASL?EORTC clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol, 56, 908-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2011.12.001
- Mackay J JA, Lee N, Parkin D, Eds. ( (2006).). The Cancer Atlas. American Cancer Society, Atlanta.
- Mahdavifar N, Ghoncheh M, Pakzad R, et al (2016). Epidemiology, incidence and mortality of bladder cancer and their relationship with the development index in the World. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 17, 381-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.381
- Malik K (2013). Human development report 2013. The rise of the south: Human progress in a diverse world. The Rise of the South: Human Progress in a Diverse World (March 15, 2013). UNDP-HDRO Human Development Reports.
- Ni YH, Chang MH, Hsu HY, et al (1991). Hepatocellular carcinoma in childhood. Clinical manifestations and prognosis. Cancer, 68, 1737-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19911015)68:8<1737::AID-CNCR2820680815>3.0.CO;2-G
- Pakzad R, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Ghoncheh M, et al (2015a). The incidence and mortality of lung cancer and their relationship to development in Asia. Transl Lung Cancer Res, 4, 763-74.
- Pakzad R, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Ghoncheh M, et al (2015b). The incidence and mortality of prostate cancer and its relationship with development in Asia. Prostate International, 3, 135-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prnil.2015.09.001
- Pakzad R, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Mohammadian M, et al (2015 c). Incidence and mortality of bladder cancer and their relationship with development in Asia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 7365-74. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7365
- Razi S, Ghoncheh M, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, et al (2016). The incidence and mortality of ovarian cancer and their relationship with the Human Development Index in Asia. Ecancermedicalscience, 10, 628.
- Sagar AD, Najam A (1998). The human development index: a critical review. Ecological Economics, 25, 249-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(97)00168-7
- Sepanlou SG, Malekzadeh F, Delavari F, et al (2015). Burden of gastrointestinal and liver diseases in middle east and north africa: results of global burden of diseases study from 1990 to 2010. Middle East J Digestive Dis, 7, 201.
- Tobe T, Uchino J, Endo Y, et al (1994). Predictive factors for long term prognosis after partial hepatectomy for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in Japan. The Liver Cancer Study Group of Japan. Cancer, 74, 2772-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19941115)74:10<2772::AID-CNCR2820741006>3.0.CO;2-V
- Wei K-R, Yu X, Zheng R-S, et al (2014). Incidence and mortality of liver cancer in China, 2010. Chinese J Cancer, 33, 388.
- Yamanaka N, Okamoto E, Oriyama T, et al (1994). A prediction scoring system to select the surgical treatment of liver cancer. Further refinement based on 10 years of use. Ann Surg, 219, 342. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199404000-00003
- Zhang W, Sun B (2015). Impact of age on the survival of patients with liver cancer: an analysis of 27,255 patients in the SEER database. Oncotarget, 6, 633. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.2719
- Comparison of anatomic and non-anatomic hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma vol.24, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jhbp.502
- Experimental Evidence of the Antitumor, Antimetastatic and Antiangiogenic Activity of Ellagic Acid vol.10, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10111756
- The Incidence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Iran from 1996 to 2016: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis pp.1941-6636, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12029-019-00207-y