- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Association of Interleukin-27 rs 153109 Single Nucleotide Polymorphism with Spontaneous Resolution of Hepatitis C Virus - Genotype 4a Infection in Egyptian Patients
- Fawzy, Mariam M ;
- Wahid, Ahmed ;
- Nazmy, Maiiada H ;
- Hashem, Mohamed ;
- Waked, Imam ;
- Abdelwahab, Sayed F
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: HCV is a major global health problem. IL-27 is a member of the IL-6/IL-12 cytokine family with a broad range of anti-inflammatory properties. Recent studies highlighted the effect of a SNP in the IL-27 promoter region on modulating the progression of infectious diseases and individual responses to therapy. Aim of the work: The present study investigated the potential role of (-964 A/G) SNP in the promoter region of IL-27p28 gene (alleles rs153109) on the outcome of HCV infection among genotype 4a infected patients. Materials and Methods: HCV genotyping confirmed that all of the HCV-infected patients had genotype 4a infection. Genomic DNA was extracted from 111 patients with chronic HCV infection, 42 spontaneous resolvers (SR) and 16 healthy controls. IL- 27p28.rs153109 genotyping was assessed using PCR-RFLP then confirmed by DNA sequencing. Results: The frequency of IL-27-p28.rs153109AA, AG, and GG genotypes among chronically infected subjects were 74.8 %, 25.2%, and 0% while among the SR, they were 57.1%, 35.7%, and 7.14%, respectively. Our data show the unique presence of G/G genotype in the SR group (3 patients; 7.14%). Moreover, the "G" allele frequencies among chronic and resolved subjects were 12.6% and 25.0%, respectively (p=0.0136). Importantly, subjects with the GG genotype were more likely to clear their HCV infection than those with the AA genotype (p=0.0118). Conclusions: HCV genotype 4a subjects with the IL-27-p28.rs153109 A/G and G/G genotype were more likely to clear their HCV infection. Therefore, we propose IL- 27p28.rs153109SNPas a genetic biomarker for predicting HCV infection outcome.
HCV infection;genotype 4;interleukin 27 p-28 (-964 A/G);spontaneous resolvers;Egypt
- Baldo V, et al (2008). Epidemiology of HCV infection. Curr Pharm Des, 12, 1646-54.
- Parkin DM (2000). Global cancer statistics in the year. Lancet Oncol, 2, 533-43.
- Badia-Martinez D (2012).Three-dimensional visualization of forming Hepatitis C virus-like particles by electrontomography. Virol, 430, 120-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virol.2012.05.001
- Chen SL, Morgan TR (2006). The natural history of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. Int J Med Sci, 3, 47-52.
- Wahid A and Dubuisson J (2013). Virus-neutralizing antibodies to hepatitis C virus. J Viral Hepat, 20, 369-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/jvh.12094
- Koziel MJ (2005). Cellular immune responses against hepatitis C virus. Clin Infect Dis, 41, 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1086/429492
- Pflanz S (2002). IL-27, a heterodimeric cytokine composed of EBI3 and p28 protein, induces proliferation of naive CD4+ T cells. Immunity, 16, 779-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1074-7613(02)00324-2
- Sprecher C.A, et al (1998). Cloning and characterization of a novel class I cytokine receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 246, 82-90. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1998.8576
- Morishima N, et al (2010). A pivotal role for interleukin-27 in CD8+ T cell functions and generation of cytotoxic T lymphocytes. J Biomed Biotechnol, 2010, 605483.
- Pflanz S (2004). WSX-1 and glycoprotein 130 constitute a signaltransducing receptor for IL-27. J Immunol, 172, 2225-31. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.172.4.2225
- Kastelein RA, Hunter CA, Cua DJ (2007). Discovery and biology of IL-23 and IL-27: related but functionally distinct regulators of inflammation. Annu Rev Immunol, 25, 221-42. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.immunol.22.012703.104758
- Ihle J.N (2001). The Stat family in cytokine signaling. Curr Opin Cell Biol, 13, 211-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-0674(00)00199-X
- Takeda A (2003). Cutting edge: role of IL-27/WSX-1 signaling for induction of T-bet through activation of STAT1 during initial Th1 commitment. J Immunol, 170, 4886-90. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.170.10.4886
- Sonobe Y (2005). Production of IL-27 and other IL-12 family cytokines by microglia and their subpopulations. Brain Res, 1040, 202-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2005.01.100
- Ryan E.J, Farrelly C. O’ (2011). The affect of chronic hepatitis C infection on dendritic cell function: a summary of the experimental evidence. J Viral Hepat, 18, 601-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2893.2011.01453.x
- Hunter CA (2005). New IL-12-family members: IL-23 and IL- 27, cytokines with divergent functions. Nat Rev Immunol, 5, 521-31. https://doi.org/10.1038/nri1648
- Frank A.C (2010). Interleukin-27, an anti-HIV-1 cytokine, inhibits replication of hepatitis C virus. J Interferon Cytokine Res, 30, 427-31. https://doi.org/10.1089/jir.2009.0093
- Tang T.J (2003). The role of intrahepatic immune effector cells in inflammatory liver injury and viral control during chronic hepatitis B infection. J Viral Hepat, 10, 159-67. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2893.2003.00412.x
- Imamichi T (2008). IL-27, a novel anti-HIV cytokine, activates multiple interferon-inducible genes in macrophages. AIDS, 22, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.1097/QAD.0b013e3282f3356c
- Fakruddin J.M (2007). Noninfectious papilloma virus-like particles inhibit HIV-1 replication: implications for immune control of HIV-1 infection by IL-27. Blood, 109, 1841-9. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2006-02-001578
- Liu L (2012). Influenza A virus induces interleukin-27 through cyclooxygenase-2 and protein kinase A signaling. J Biol Chem, 287, 11899-910. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M111.308064
- Peng Q, et al (2013). Association of IL27 gene polymorphisms and HBV-related hepatocellular carcinoma risk in a Chinese population. Infect Genet Evol, 16, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meegid.2013.01.015
- Yasser B.M, Ali a, et al (2014). Association of Interleukin 27 gene polymorphism and risk of Hepatitis B viral infection in Egyptian population. Egyptian J Medical Human Genetics, 15, 53-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmhg.2013.12.001
- Zicca E, et al (2014). Interleukin 27 polymorphisms in HCV RNA positive patients: is there an impact on response to interferon therapy? BMC Infect Dis, 14 ,S5.
- Knapp S, et al (2011). A polymorphism in IL28B distinguishes exposed, uninfected individuals from spontaneous resolvers of HCV infection. Gastroenterol, 141, 320-5. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2011.04.005
- Abdelwahab SF (2015). Interleukin 28B.rs12979860 genotype does not affect hepatitis C viral load in Egyptians with genotype 4 chronic infection. Arch Virol, 160, 2833-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-015-2555-3
- Sharafi H (2014).The impact of IFNL4 rs12979860 polymorphism on spontaneous clearance of hepatitis C; a case-control study. Hepat Mon, 14, e22649.
- Sun H, Pan Y, Wu R, et al (2015). CD24 Ala57Val polymorphismis associated with spontaneous viralclearance in the HCVinfected Chinese population. Liver Int, 35, 786-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/liv.12506
- Ohno O (1997). New hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotyping system that allows for identification of HCV genotypes 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4, 5a, and 6a. J Clin Microbiol, 35, 201-7.
- Yasser B.M.A, et al (2014). Association of Interleukin 27 gene polymorphism and risk of Hepatitis B viral infection in Egyptian population. Egyptian J Medical Human Genetics, 15, 53-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmhg.2013.12.001
- Batten M, Ghilardi N (2007). The biology and therapeutic potential of interleukin 27. J Mol Med (Berl), 85, 661-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00109-007-0164-7
- Komatsu H, et al (2014). Association between single-nucleotide polymorphisms and early spontaneous hepatitis B virus e antigen seroconversion in children. BMC Res Notes, 7, 789. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-7-789
- Chae SC (2007). Identification of polymorphisms in human interleukin-27 and their association with asthma in a Korean population. J Hum Genet, 52, 355-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10038-007-0123-8
- Li CS (2009). Interleukin-27 polymorphisms are associated with inflammatory bowel diseases in a Korean population. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 24, 1692-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.05901.x
- Xu X.P (2014). Genetic association between IL-27 rs153109 polymorphism and cancer risk in Chinese population: a meta-analysis. J Recept Signal Transduct Res, 1-6.
- Huang ZQ (2012). Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in IL-12 and IL-27 genes with colorectal cancer risk. Clin Biochem, 45, 54-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2011.10.004
- Kruglyak L (1997).The use of a genetic map of biallelic markers in linkage studies. Nat Genet, 17, 21-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng0997-21
- Schafer AJ, Hawkins JR (1998). DNA variation and the future of human genetics. Nat Biotechnol, 16, 33-9.
- (rs1800629) Genetic Polymorphisms on the Progression of HCV Infection in Egyptian Patients pp.1532-4311, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/08820139.2018.1510958