- Volume 17 Issue 4
Background: Early detection of malignant transformation with expression biomarkers has significant potential to improve the survival rate of patients as such biomarkers enable prediction of progression and assess sensitivity to chemotherapy. The expression of interferon inducible transmembrane protein 1 (IFITM1) has been associated with early invasion events in several carcinomas, including head and neck cancers, and hence has been proposed as a novel candidate biomarker. As the incidence of oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) is highest in the Indian population, we sought to investigate: 1) the expression pattern of IFITM1 in OSCC tissue samples obtained from Indian patients of Dravidian origin; and 2) the possibility of using IFITM1 expression as a potential biomarker. Materials and Methods: Total RNA extracted from thirty eight OSCC biopsy samples was subjected to semi-quantitative RT-PCR with IFITM1 and GAPDH specific primers. Results: Of the thirty eight OSCC samples that were analyzed, IFITM1 overexpression was identified in fifteen (39%). Seven expressed a low level, while the remainder expressed high level of IFITM1. Conclusions: The overexpression of IFITM1 in OSCC samples indicates that IFITM1 may be explored for the possibility of use as a high confidence diagnostic biomarker in oral cancers. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time that IFITM1 overexpression is being reported in Indian OSCC samples.
IFITM1 expression;oral carcinoma;over expression;biomarker;Indian cancers
- Andersen JB, Hassel BA (2006a). The interferon regulated ubiquitin-like protein, ISG15, in tumorigenesis: Friend or foe. Cytokine Growth Factor Reviews, 17, 411-421. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cytogfr.2006.10.001
- Andersen JB, Aaboe M, Borden EC, et al (2006b). Stageassociated overexpression of the ubiquitin-like protein, ISG15, in bladder cancer. Br J Cancer, 94, 1465-71. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603099
- Bektas N, Noetzel E, Veeck J et al (2008). The ubiquitinlike molecule interferon-stimulated gene 15 (ISG15) is a potential prognostic marker in human breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res, 10, 58.
- Cheon H, Borden EC, Stark GR (2014). Interferons and their stimulated genes in the tumor microenvironment. Semin Oncol, 41, 156-73. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2014.02.002
- Choi HJ, Lui A, Ogony J, Jan R, Sims PJ, Lewis-Wambi J (2015). Targeting interferon response genes sensitizes aromatase inhibitor resistant breast cancer cells to estrogen-induced cell death. Breast Cancer Res, 17, 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13058-014-0506-7
- Crena J, Subramanian S, Victor DJ, Gnana PP, Ramanathan A (2015). Single nucleotide polymorphism at -1087 locus of interleukin-10 gene promoter is associated with severe chronic periodontitis in nonsmoking patients. Eur J Dent, 9, 387-93. https://doi.org/10.4103/1305-7456.163237
- Das S, Shenoy S (2015). Sneak peek into tobacco habits and associated insidious oral lesions in an odisha sample population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 7007-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7007
- Hatano H, Kudo Y, Ogawa I, Tsunematsu T, et al (2008). IFNinduced transmembrane protein 1 promotes invasion at early stage of head and neck cancer progression. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 6097-105. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-4761
- Indian Genome Variation Consortium (2008). Genetic landscape of the people of India: a canvas for disease gene exploration. J Genet, 87, 3-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12041-008-0002-x
- Kim JY, Kim H, Suk K, Lee WH (2010). Activation of CD147 with cyclophilin a induces the expression of IFITM1 through ERK and PI3K in THP-1 cells. Mediators Inflamm, 2010, 821940.
- Laljee RP, Muddaiah S, Salagundi B, et al (2013). Interferon stimulated gene-ISG15 is a potential diagnostic biomarker in oral squamous cell carcinomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1147-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1147
- Lang-Ming C, Chien-Wei L, Kai-Ping C et al (2009). Enhanced interferon signaling pathway in oral cancer revealed by quantitative proteome analysis of microdissected specimens using 16o/18o labeling and integrated two-dimensional LCESI- MALDI Tandem MS. Mol Cell Proteomics, 8, 1453-74. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.M800460-MCP200
- Lee J, Goh SH, Song N, et al (2012). Overexpression of IFITM1 has clinicopathologic effects on gastric cancer and is regulated by an epigenetic mechanism. Am J Pathol, 181, 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2012.03.027
- Mishra A, Meherotra R (2014). Head and neck cancer: global burden and regional trends in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 537-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.537
- Moy I, Lin Z, Rademaker AW, et al (2013). Expression of estrogen-related gene markers in breast cancer tissue predicts aromatase inhibitor responsiveness. PLoS One, 8, 77543. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0077543
- Rajkumar T, Sabitha K, Vijayalakshmi N, et al (2011). Identification and validation of genes involved in cercival tumorigenesis. BMC Cancer, 11, 80. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-80
- Yardimci G., Kutlubay Z, Engin B, Tuzun Y (2014). Precancerous lesions of oral mucosa. World J Clin Cases, 2, 866-872. https://doi.org/10.12998/wjcc.v2.i12.866
- knockdown and radiotherapy inhibits the growth of oral cancer vol.109, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.13640