- Volume 20 Issue 3
Among the various fields in the communications, navigation, and surveillance/air traffic management (CNS/ATM) scheme, the surveillance field, which includes an automatic dependent surveillance - broadcast (ADS-B) system and a multilateration (MLAT) system, is implemented using satellite and digital communications technology. These systems provide better performance than radar, but still incur position error. To reduce the error, we propose an efficient information fusion method called the reweighted convex combination method for ADS-B and MLAT systems. The reweighted convex combination method improves aircraft tracking performance compared to the original convex combination method by readjusting the weights given to these systems. In this paper, we prove that the reweighted convex combination method always provides better performance than the original convex combination method. Performance from the fusion of ADS-B and MLAT improves an average of 51.51% when compared to the original data.
Automatic dependent surveillance - broadcast;Mutilateration;Information fusion;Communications, navigation, and surveillance (CNS);Air traffic management
- Minimum Aviation System Performance standards (MASPS) for Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B), Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics, RTCA/DO 242A, 2002.
- ERA: Proven Multilateration and ADS-B Surveillance Solutions, 2011.
- SRA International: Multilateration & ADS-B Executive Reference Guide, 2009.
- Klaus P, Mathias A, and Heidger R, "Investigation of measurement characteristics of MLAT/WAM and ADS-B," in The Tyrrhenian International Workshop on Digital Communications-Enhanced Surveillance of Aircraft and Vehicles (TIWDC/ESAV), Capri: Italy, 2011.
- G. Shen, R. Zetik, and R. Thoma, "Performance comparison of TOA and TDOA based location estimation algorithms in LOS environment," in The 5th Workshop on Posting, Navigation and Communication, Hannover: Germany, 2008.
- J. Zhang, W. Liu, and Y. Zhu, "Study of ADS-B data evaluation," Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 461-466, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1000-9361(11)60053-8
- J. Rush, "Current Issues in the use of the global positioning system aboard satellites," ACM Astronautica, Vol. 47, No. 2-9, pp. 377-387, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0094-5765(00)00079-5
- Eurocontrol, Generic Safety Assessment for ATC Surveillance using Wide Area Multilateration, 2008.
- M. Leonardi, A. Mathias, and G. Galati, "Two efficient localization algorithms for multilateration," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 223-229, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1759078709000245
- W. J. Sung, S. O. Choi, and K. H. You, "TDoA based UGV Localization using Adaptive Kalman Filter Algorithm," International Journal of Control and Automation, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- C. H. Kim, J. H. Han, and J. Y. Kang, "Air surveillance using mode-S multilateration," The Korean Society for Aeronautical Science and Flight Operation, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 9-20, 2010.
- J. M. Abbud, G. Miguel and J. Besada, "Correction of systematic errors in wide Area multilateration," in 2011 Tyrrhenian International Workshop on Digital Communications - Enhanced Surveillance of Aircraft and Vehicles (TIWDC/ESAV), 2011.
- X. Zhao, R. Wang, H. Gu, G. Song, and Y. L. Mo, "Innovative data fusion enabled structural health monitoring approach," Hindawi Publishing Corporation Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2014, No. 1, pp. 1-10, 2014.
- B.Olivier, G. Pierre, H. Nicolas, O. Loic, T. Olivier, and T. Philippe, "Multi sensor data fusion architectures for air traffic control applications," in Sensor and Data Fusion, Vienna: Austria, 2009.
- Y.Gao, E. J. Krakiwsky, M. A. Abousalem, and J. F. McLellan, "Comparison and analysis of centralized, decentralized and federated filters," Journal of Institute of Navigation, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 69-86, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-4296.1993.tb02295.x
- T. H. Cho, J. H. Kim, and S. B. Choi, "Robust filtering algorithm for improvement of air navigation system," Journal of Advanced Navigation Technology, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 123-132, 2015. https://doi.org/10.12673/jant.2015.19.2.123
Grant : simulation development of air weapons effects research
Supported by : HanGil C&C