- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Inter-Domain Mobility Management Based on the Proxy Mobile IP in Mobile Networks
- Gohar, Moneeb (Dept. of Information and Communication Engineering, Yeungnam University) ;
- Koh, Seok-Joo (School of Computer Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2014.09.17
- Accepted : 2014.12.14
- Published : 2016.06.30
System Architecture Evolution (SAE) with Long Term Evolution (LTE) has been used as the key technology for the next generation mobile networks. To support mobility in the LTE/SAE-based mobile networks, the Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIP), in which the Mobile Access Gateway (MAG) of the PMIP is deployed at the Serving Gateway (S-GW) of LTE/SAE and the Local Mobility Anchor (LMA) of PMIP is employed at the PDN Gateway (P-GW) of LTE/SAE, is being considered. In the meantime, the Host Identity Protocol (HIP) and the Locator Identifier Separation Protocol (LISP) have recently been proposed with the identifier-locator separation principle, and they can be used for mobility management over the global-scale networks. In this paper, we discuss how to provide the inter-domain mobility management over PMIP-based LTE/SAE networks by investigating three possible scenarios: mobile IP with PMIP (denoted by MIP-PMIP-LTE/SAE), HIP with PMIP (denoted by HIP-PMIP-LTE/SAE), and LISP with PMIP (denoted by LISP-PMIP-LTE/SAE). For performance analysis of the candidate inter-domain mobility management schemes, we analyzed the traffic overhead at a central agent and the total transmission delay required for control and data packet delivery. From the numerical results, we can see that HIP-PMIP-LTE/SAE and LISP-PMIP-LTE/SAE are preferred to MIP-PMIP-LTE/SAE in terms of traffic overhead; whereas, LISP-PMIP-LTE/SAE is preferred to HIP-PMIP-LTE/SAE and MIP-PMIP-LTE/SAE in the viewpoint of total transmission delay.
Supported by : Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion
- P. Bosch, L. Samuel, S. Mullender, P. Polakos, and G. Rittenhouse, "Flat cellular (UMTS) networks," in Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC2007), Hong Kong, 2007, pp. 3861-3866.
- K. Daoud, P. Herbelin, and N. Crespi, "UFA: Ultra Flat Architecture for high bitrate services in mobile networks," in Proceedings of IEEE 19th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC2008), Cannes, France, 2008, pp. 1-6.
- Z. Faigl, L. Bokor, P. M. Neves, R. A. Pereira, K. Daoud, and P. Herbelin, "Evaluation and comparison of signaling protocol alternatives for the Ultra Flat Architecture," in Proceedings of 2010 Fifth International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications (ICSNC), Nice, France, 2010, pp. 326-334.
- K. Nishida, I. Tanaka, and T. Koshimizu, "Basic SAE management technology for realizing all-IP network," NTT DOCOMO Technical Journal, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 4-12, 2009.
- A. R. Prasad, J. Laganier, A. Zugenmaier, M. S. Bargh, B. Hulsebosch, H. Eertink, et al., "Mobility and key management in SAE/LTEm" in Wireless Communications 2007 CNIT Thyrrenian Symposium. Heidelberg: Springer, 2007, pp. 165-178.
- S. J. Wu, J. C. Lin, and L. Hui, "Apply HIP to Handover Procedures in Hybrid Access Mode LTE Femtocells," Journal of Software, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 2114-2121, 2013.
- IETF RFC 5213, "Proxy mobile IPv6," 2008; https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5213.txt.
- 3GPP TR 23.402, "Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects - Architecture Enhancements for Non-3GPP Accesses (V10.7.0)," 2012; http://www.qtc.jp/3GPP/Specs/23402-a70.pdf.
- J. Laganier, T. Higuchi, and K. Nishida, "Mobility management for all-IP core network," NTT DOCOMO Technical Journal, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 34-39, 2009.
- Y. S. Chen, T. Y. Juang, and Y. T. Lin, "A secure relay-assisted handover protocol for proxy mobile IPv6 in 3GPP LTE systems," Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 629-656, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-011-0424-2
- IETF RFC 3775, "Mobility support in IPv6," 2004; https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3775.txt.
- IETF RFC 4423, "Host Identity Protocol (HIP) architecture," 2006; https://www.ietf.org/rfc/4423.txt.
- IETF Internet Draft, "Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP), draft-ietf-lisp-23," 2012; https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-23.
- IETF Internet Draft, "LISP mobile node, draft-meyer-lisp-mn-07," 2012; https://tools.ietf.org/html/draftmeyer-lisp-mn-07.
- M. Gohar and S. J. Koh, "Distributed mapping management of identifiers and locators in LISP-based mobile networks," Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 565-579, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-013-1030-2
- A SDN-based distributed mobility management in LTE/EPC network vol.73, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-016-1724-9