- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Global Pricing Strategy of the SPA Brand: Comparison with GDP and Big Mac Index
SPA 브랜드의 글로벌 가격 전략: 국민소득 및 빅맥지수와의 비교
- Received : 2016.02.04
- Accepted : 2016.05.10
- Published : 2016.06.30
Due to the dramatic increase in consumers' price sensitivity and growing importance for global retailers to create relevant price strategies, this study investigates the global pricing strategy of the main SPA brands such as ZARA, H&M and UNIQLO. Based on price information shown on official website, the study developed SPA brand index by using exchange rates in terms of US dollars and ratio of differences between the local price and the US price. These figures were compared with GDP per person data in order to analyze each brand's price level against the income level. The study also compared SPA brand index with Big Mac index to identify the difference in price levels between the fast fashion market and the fast food market. ZARA and H&M were mostly targeting Middle East and Asia as a high-price market when considering index only. After taking the income level into account, however, Asia came out be the highest price market and Middle East was similar to the US market. On the other hand, UNIQLO targeted Asia as the lowest price market and the US and EU as the highest in terms of index only. But, Asia came out to be the highest price zone after considering the income level while the price of the US and EU was reasonable. Comparison with Big Mac Index indicated that most of Asia had a higher price level of the fashion market than the food market, whereas most European countries had a similar or high-price level of food market.
pricing strategy;global SPA brand;fashion index;Big Mac Index;fast fashion
- Byun, H. J. (2009). [Imaginary marketing] Big Mac index and Shin Ramyun index. Marketing, 43(3), 92-93.
- Byun, J. W. (2013). A study of SPA Brand Zara's successful international marketing strategy. Business Economics, 46(1), 229-248.
- Ceballos, F. R. (2015, June 26). Zara: worldwide pricing strategy revealed by study. Fashionmag, Retrieved November 29, 2015, from http://us.fashionmag.com/news/Zara-worldwide-pricingstrategy-revealed-by-study,544318.html#.VmRvfmaheM9
- Choo, H. J., Lee, H. K., Baek, E. S., & Kwon, H. J. (2013). Research on price comparison of fashion brands in global market. Fashion Information and Technology, 10, 66-78.
- Chun, J. S., & Noh, Y. J. (2007). A study on a product supply of casual apparel brands - Focused on SPA characteristics -. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 15(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2007.15.1.1
- Clements, K. W., & Lan, Y. (2010). A new approach to forecasting exchange rates. Journal of International Money and Finance, 29(7), 1424-1437. doi:10.1016/j.jimonfin.2010.03.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jimonfin.2010.03.009
- Fast Retailing. (2014). Fast retailing annual report 2014. Retrieved November 18, 2015, from http://www.fastretailing.com/eng/ir/library/pdf/ar2014_en.pdf
- 'Forecasts and strategies by apparel type on 2015'. (2015, February 9). Samsung Design Net. Retrieved from March 14, 2016, from http://www.samsungdesign.net
- H&M. (2014). H&M annual report 2014. Retrieved November 18, 2015, from http://about.hm.com/content/dam/hm/about/documents/en/Annual%20Report/Annual%20Report%202014_en.pdf
- Han, S. L., & An, M. A. (2013). Analysis of effects of quality factors of SPA brand strategy. Journal of Distribution Research, 18(1), 1-23.
- Hines, T., & Bruce, M. (2007). Fashion Marketing: Contemporary Issues (2nd ed.). Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- IMF (International Monetary Fund). (2015, October 6). World Economic Outlook Database, October 2015. Retrieved November 3, 2015, from http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2015/02/weodata/index.aspx
- Inditex. (2014). Inditex annual report 2014. Retrieved November 18, 2015, from http://www.inditex.com/documents/10279/18789/Inditex_Annual_Report_2014_web.pdf/a8323597-3932-4357-9f36-6458f55ac099
- Jang, A. R. (2007). Development of Korean style SPA of fast fashion for consumer needs. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 16(5), 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.5.997
- Jang, E. Y. (2008). Fashion retail marketing. Seoul: Gyohakyeongoosa.
- Jeong, G. Y., & Yu, H. J. (2014). A study of the effect of fast fashion brand experience on brand identification. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 25(3), 147-173. doi:10.143126.96.36.199 https://doi.org/10.14377/KJA.2014.4.15.147
- KCA (Korea Consumer Agency) (2014, June). Overseas direct purchase usage status and improvement plan. Retrieved November 18, 2015, from http://www.kca.go.kr/brd/m_46/view.do?seq=1835#report_tab01
- KCCI (The Korea Chamber of Commerce & Industry). (2010, November). Retail CEO report. Retrieved November 18, 2015, from http://retaildb.korcham.net/file/Document/7호_RetailCEOReport_웹게시용.pdf
- KCCI (The Korea Chamber of Commerce & Industry). (2012, October). Consumer preference research on SPA brand. Retrieved November 18, 2015, from http://retaildb.korcham.net/file/Document/(10월15일자조간)%20SPA선호도-보도.hwp
- Kim, E. J. (2013, September 23). International brand is getting bigger…Zara 'Number one'. Korea Economic Magazine. Retrieved November 29, 2015, from http://magazine.hankyung.com/apps/news?popup=0&nid=01&c1=1004&nkey=2013092600930000381&mode=sub_view
- Kim, H. J., & Lee, S. H. (2007). An analysis of consumer's buying behaviors and the importance of store attributes in SPA brand - Focused on female col1ege student in Seoul metropolitan area and Gyeongi-do area -. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 15(3), 369-382. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2007.15.3.369
- Kim, J. H., & Lee, S. Y. (2009). Global SPA brands in the Korean market: The case of Uniqlo and Zara. International Business Review, 13(4), 271-297. https://doi.org/10.21739/IBR.2009.12.13.4.271
- Kim, M. J. (2014, March 7). Fast-growing international SPA "Live by eating up a recession". Korea Economic Magazine. Retrieved November 24, 2015, from http://magazine.hankyung.com/business/apps/news?popup=0&nid=01&nkey=2014030500952000041&mode=sub_view
- Kim, S. H. (2007). Study on the fast fashìon(part 1)-Focusìng on marketing strategy. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 15(5), 875-887. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2007.15.5.875
- Ko, S. H., & Kim, E. Y. (2014). Effects of marketing strategy on brand attitude, store affect, and store loyalty: A comparison between global and Korean SPA brands. Fashion and Textile Research Journal, 16(3), 386-395. doi:10.5805.16.3.386 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.3.386
- KOCCA (Korea Creative Content Agency). (2015, April). Domestic SPA brand market size and forecasts. Retrieved November 18, 2015, from http://www.kocca.kr/common/cmm/fms/FileDown.do?atchFileId=FILE_000000000214027&fileSn=1&bbsId=
- Lee, J. M. (2014). The study on effect of price sensitivity for consumer’s purchasing behavior of SPA brand. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 20(3), 532-540.
- Min, S. S., & Kim, H. I. (2015, November 17). "We are the best partner" Super-riches' collaboration is general trend. Herald Economics. Retrieved November 24, 2015, from http://superich.heraldcorp.com/superich/view.php?ud=20151116001313&sec=01-74-02&jeh=0&pos
- MOTIE (Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy). (2013, December). 2013 Fashion market size research business. Retrieved November 10, 2015, from http://www.fashionnetkorea.com/fashion/fashiondb_fiber_sub.asp
- Oh, K. C. (2015, October 27). Breaking the stereotypes of fashion through the system management-the global SPA entering a decade-Part 2. Apparelnews. Retrieved November 23, 2015, from http://www.apparelnews.co.kr/naver/view.php?iid=57961
- Park, S. M. (2015, January 19). The growth of SPA brands and competitiveness of the marketing strategy. Fashionnetkorea. Retrieved November 24, 2015, from http://www.fashionnetkorea.com/market/market_gl_bizreport_issue.asp
- Park, S. W. (2010). Finance focus: Exchange rate level evaluation through the relationship between Big Mac Index and income. Weekly Financial Brief, 19(49), 12-13.
- Park, S. Y. (2012, February 9). "Are you a fool to pay full price of the clothes at the department store?". Asiaeconomics. Retrieved November 24, 2015, from http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2012020909181583501
- Rath, P. M., Petrizzi, R., & Gill, P. (2012). Marketing fashion: A global perspective. NY: Fairchild Books.
- Rhee, D. K., & Choi, J. A. (2012). Uniqlo in Korea: The joint venture of Fast Retailing Co. and Lotte Shopping Co. International Business Review, 16, 295-325. https://doi.org/10.21739/IBR.2012.03.16.1.295
- Ro, J. H., & Kim, M. J. (2009). Socio-cultural interpretation of fast fashion phenomenon. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 59(3), 27-41.
- Son, M. Y. (2007). Global fashion marketing. Seoul: Changjisa.
- 'The best 100 global brands 2015'. (2015). Interbrand. Retrieved November 23, 2015, from http://interbrand.com/best-brands/bestglobal-brands/2015/ranking/#?filter=&listFormat=ls
- 'The Big Mac index'. (2015, July 17). The Economist. Retrieved November 23, 2015, from http://www.economist.com/content/bigmac-index
- 'The world's most innovative companies'. (2015). Forbes. Retrieved November 23, 2015, from http://www.forbes.com/innovativecompanies/
- 'The world's most valuable brands'. (2015). Forbes. Retrieved November 23, 2015, from http://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/
- Yu, H. K., & Park, N. R. (2015). Price differentiation of global cosmetic brands. Journal of the Korea Sociery Beauty and Art, 16(1), 231-251.
- Jang, S. Y., & Park, J. K. (2015). The influence of global SPA brand value proposition on customer-brand relationship, brand attitude and brand loyalty. International Business Review, 19(1), 119-142. https://doi.org/10.21739/IBR.2015.03.19.1.119