- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Integrity Assessment of Bare Concrete Bridge Deck based on the Attenuation of Radar Signals
레이더 신호의 감쇠특성을 고려한 일체식 콘크리트 교량 바닥판의 상태평가 방법 고찰
- Received : 2016.03.15
- Accepted : 2016.05.02
- Published : 2016.07.01
The signal characteristic of radar wave on concrete decks is determined by the attenuation of the radar due to the conversion of EM(Electromagnetic) energy to thermal energy through electrical conduction, dielectric relaxation, scattering, and geometric spreading. In this study, it is found that the attenuation of radar signal received on top rebars in bare deck concrete with 2 way travel time shows a general decreasing linear trend because of its same relative permittivity and conductivity. The radar signal after depth-normalization, can then be interpreted as being principally influenced by the content of chlorides penetrating cover concrete, which caused corrosion of rebars in bridge decks.
- ASTM C 876 (2009), Standard Test Method for Corrosion Potentials of Uncoated Reinforcing Steel in Concrete, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA.
- ASTM D 6432 (2011), Standard Guide for using the Surface Ground Penetrating Radar Method for Subsurface Investigation, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Park, J., Lee, S., Kim, J., Park, C., and Lee, D. (2011), The Prediction of Remaining Life of Concrete Bridge Decks using the Reliability Analysis, International Journal of Highway Engineering, Korea Society of Road Engineers, 13(4), 71-79.
- Parrillo, R., Roberts, R., and Haggan, A. (2006), Bridge Deck Condition Assessment using Ground Penetrating Radar, Proceedings of the ECNDT, Berlin, German, 2526, 112.
- Shu, J., Lee, I., and Rhee, J. (1998), Condition Evaluation of Concrete Bridge Decks, Highway Research Center, Korea Highway Corporation, Report No. 98-67-65, 13.
- Shu, J., Rhee, J., Jung, J., Lee, J., Choi, M., and Lee, J. (2013), A Study for Management Practice of Bridge Decks based on the Deterioration Factors, Proceedings of the KCI Fall Conference, Korea Concrete Institute, 25(2), 783-784.
- Shu, J., Rhee, J., Park, C., and Shin, J. (2005), Evaluation of Concrete Bridge Deck using GPR mounted on the Vehicle, Journal of The Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection, Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection, 9(3), 29-37.
- Shu, J., Rhee, J., Seo, S., and Shin, J. (2004), Condition Evaluation of Bare Concrete Bridge Decks, A Journal of The Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection, Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection, 8(3), 317-224.
- Seasonal Variation and Age-related Changes in the Relative Permittivity of Concrete Bridge Decks on Korea Expressways vol.12, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40069-018-0239-6